• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I guess they need to have the term "pre-exemption" explained to them. They would probably respond that since an 80% isn't a firearm the pre-exemption laws don't apply. It's a non-sensical and circular argument but it would likely make sense to them.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

They seem to have made a definitions mistake similar to what the MD long gun background check did for the definition of "dealer. Check out the wording:
    “Ghost gun” means a firearm, including an unfinished frame or
    receiver, that lacks a unique serial number engraved or cased in
    metal alloy on the frame or receiver by a licensed manufacturer,
    maker or importer under federal law or markings in accordance
    with 27 C.F.R. § 479.102. It does not include a firearm that has
    been rendered permanently inoperable, or a firearm that is not
    required to have a serial number in accordance with the Federal
    Gun Control Act of 1968.

Under GCA 68, firearms made by individuals not for sale are not required to have serial numbers. And therefore they don't fit the definition of "Ghost Gun" for the purposes of the MoCo bill. I wonder which of the Anti groups provided the draft wording?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Regardless, they don't prosecute any other gun laws. This is just a "feel good" resolution so that they can tell the idiots that they have done something. In reality, they don't want the police enforcing laws anyways, so even if this was a halfway legit law the police department wouldn't be given the tools necessary to enforce it and then the State's Attorney's would just drop the damn case even if someone made an arrest.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Regardless, they don't prosecute any other gun laws. This is just a "feel good" resolution so that they can tell the idiots that they have done something. In reality, they don't want the police enforcing laws anyways, so even if this was a halfway legit law the police department wouldn't be given the tools necessary to enforce it and then the State's Attorney's would just drop the damn case even if someone made an arrest.

Well whatever you do don’t build one and transfer it to a minor lol. Cuz that’s now illegal........so man emoji choices

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County

Does this mean some of us need to carry a sharpie around in case we get pulled over? Or some Avery sticky labels.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I guess they need to have the term "pre-exemption" explained to them. They would probably respond that since an 80% isn't a firearm the pre-exemption laws don't apply. It's a non-sensical and circular argument but it would likely make sense to them.

No, if you read the story, you see that they apply it to exceptions to the state pre-emption law - sales to minors and relating to "places of public assembly".

The law is useless fluff.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    This bill is potentially worse than it sounds, if enforced:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...omery-county-residents-your-voices-are-needed

On the bright side doesn't look like there's anything here I can't completely ignore. Unclear if my extra rifle parts make me a felon, or the fact that my property is adjacent to county park land (wtf is a "public gathering space"). Hoping this amounts to about as much as the old online ammo sales ban.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Lol @ section 57(d) - can’t “assemble” a firearm in the vicinity of a minor in your own house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This county bill runs so afoul of existing state law and the constitution that it can only be considered a vehicle through which to drain resources from those who will, of course, challenge it in court. MSI's testimony:

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ions-against-ghost-guns-and-undetectable-guns

... lays out the many (so many!) ways in which the county's shiny new bill is state preemption and federal BoR train wreck that they couldn't possibly have passed it with any serous expectation that it would stick. But they will have fun watching those of who donate money to entities like MSI spend it fighting county lawyers that I ALSO get to pay for. Infuriating.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    None of you guys showed up to fight it. That's one reason we lost so bad. One dude showed up to testify against it. ONE GUY.

What I meant is; look at how slick and professional the attached statements by Brady are versus the only statement by our side -- a poorly formatted, grammatically messed up MS WORD letter.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What I meant is; look at how slick and professional the attached statements by Brady are versus the only statement by our side -- a poorly formatted, grammatically messed up MS WORD letter.

I doubt even Oliver Wendell Holmes could have written something that would have deterred the MoCo County Council from passing anti-2A legislation like this. They wanted to give a slap in the face to 2A supporters, and easily had the votes to do it. They want their Bloombux for their re-election campaigns, and this sort of worthless virtue signaling is how you earn them.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I doubt even Oliver Wendell Holmes could have written something that would have deterred the MoCo County Council from passing anti-2A legislation like this. They wanted to give a slap in the face to 2A supporters, and easily had the votes to do it. They want their Bloombux for their re-election campaigns, and this sort of worthless virtue signaling is how you earn them.

Yep. You have a gerrymandered county with a gerrymandered council that is set up in a way to ensure that an overwhelming majority of representation comes from a five-square-mile section of Silver Spring and Tacoma Park inside the beltway. There could have been 9 people testifying against this ordinance for every one person testifying in favor of it and they'd still ram it through.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    “Ghost gun” means a firearm, including an unfinished frame or receiver
    Does that mean my 0% billet lower is a firearm in MoCo?
    0__10314.1541672345.386.513.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom