• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webturtle

May 21, 2010
    Baltimore,md
    I am looking for recommendations to have rifles or handguns redone back to original condition. Checking in Baltimore county and surrounding area. Would like to Thank everyone in advance.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If they have any collector value, you will destroy that collector value by "restoring" them. Just a warning. Guns are not like other collectables.

What guns are you thinking of restoring?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If they have any collector value, you will destroy that collector value by "restoring" them. Just a warning. Guns are not like other collectables.

What guns are you thinking of ... restoring?
    Ugh, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone opine about collector value on a forum. Most of the time we're talking about guns that are below $1000 in value anyway, so It's not like it's going to be a huge loss regardless.

I have a first year production S&W pre-29 that I'm getting ready to have reblued. Yes I'm fully aware of what this could do to potential collector value. I dunt give a damn. This pistol was my Dad's that he bought brand new in 1956 - it won't ever be sold in my lifetime so I couldn't care less about the collector value.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Ugh, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone opine about collector value on a forum. Most of the time we're talking about guns that are below $1000 in value anyway, so It's not like it's going to be a huge lots regardless.

I have a first year production S&W pre-29 that I'm getting ready to have reblued. Yes I'm fully aware of what this could do to potential collector value. I dunt give a damn. This pistol was my Dad's that he bought brand new in 1956 - it won't ever be sold in my lifetime so I couldn't care less about the collector value.

Check out the S&W price to do the work. If done by the factory it may hold it's value even if you have nor interest in ever selling it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ugh, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone opine about collector value on a forum. Most of the time we're talking about guns that are below $1000 in value anyway, so It's not like it's going to be a huge lots regardless.

The point is, many people do not know this, so telling them BEFORE they do it, allows it to be factored into whether to do it or not.

No one is telling them flat out to not do it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Doug Turnbull if you want excellent work (but it does costs!)

Depends a lot on what you have and what you want do to it.

More info on that would help us help you better.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Check out the S&W price to do the work. If done by the factory it may hold it's value even if you have nor interest in ever selling it.
    I called the S&W mother ship when I first acquired it after my Dad had passed, and they basically said they wouldn't do the work on a fun that old. With that in mind, I'm going to send it to the company that S&W refers people to for bluing work.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Ugh, I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone opine about collector value on a forum. Most of the time we're talking about guns that are below $1000 in value anyway, so It's not like it's going to be a huge loss regardless.

$1,000 in value TODAY. Who knows what tomorrow brings, and you can't un-restore most things.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I bet they said the same thing 60 years ago when all those Krags, Springfields, Enfields and Mausers were being sportarized.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $1,000 in value TODAY. Who knows what tomorrow brings, and you can't un-restore most things.
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there's a lot of ambiguity with guns these days like there was 50-60 years ago. As an example, I have a rifle that my Dad bought as an "old gun." He bought it because it was a good price - $60 - and he thought it was interesting. These days it's a collectible 1886 Winchester and quite valuable, but in 1958 it was just an old gun - it wasn't even that old all things considered. (manufactured in 1891 - in 1958 it was only 67 years old.)

With that said, there's a world of difference in the gun collector world between what it was in 1960 and what it is now, 61 years later, in 2021. There may be a few oddball surprises here and there for what is or is not considered valuable, but I can say with a certain amount of conviction a guy who decided to refinish his $150 Mosin Nagant isn't going to lose out on a lot of money because he "ruined the collector value" by doing a refinish that actually turned it into something that isn't ugly...if that's even possible with a Mosin Nagant.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I bet they said the same thing 60 years ago when all those Krags, Springfields, Enfields and Mausers were being sportarized.
    Maybe. But again, I don't think there's much ambiguity when it comes to collectability these days - people didn't collect guns in the same way back then, and those Krags, Springfields, Enfields and Mausers now are the same ones they were then.

I just think it's amusing when someone is aghast that someone would take an old military gun and clean the patina off of it. ONOOOOZE!!!!! You RUNNNED the colekter valyouuu!!!!!!

Ok. You took a gun that was worth about $300 and reduced it to $200, but made it look a lot nicer in the process.

Certain guns I understand - Pre 1964 and pre 1899 Winchesters I understand. Old Colts I understand. Some others I understand too - certainly it's a case by case basis. I don't understand people getting in a tizzy about any gun that starts off below $500, or even $1000. If a person is going to get more enjoyment out of restoring an old gun to its original glory, then I see no issue with that.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    what happened to the "my gun my choice " crowd ? it's yours , if you want to rattle can it , do it . it's yours to do what you want .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm usually the one with the opposite counterpoint . And I just purchased a 1971 ( something ) with presumptive to rebore it . But for balanced viewpoints :

We don't know what will be prized 10, 20 , 50 yrs from now .

US Surplus guns used to go for way less than Civillian counterparts .

Matching Springfield , Enfield , and Mausers were just cheap raw materials . And if you didn't immediately do some form of sporterize or customize , you were embarrassed about it
    It was sign of lazy , or too ignorant to know better .

Mosins couldn't be given away .

Marlin M60 used be the common as dirt , least expensive .22lr autoloader , and now they are in demand @ premium $ .

10 yrs ago were beat up old common as dirt Glocks . Now they are $$$ collectable Gen 1 .

Back in the Revolver Era , factory grips ( stocks ) were considered throwaway , now just the grips can be multiple hundreds of $ .

Things can be dirt common and cheap to reasonable , and with sudden shut down of production . or change in corporate owner ship , can instantly rocket in value ( H&R single shots , JM Marlins ).

And even in current real time , it isn't just turn $300 item into $200 item , it's taking $300 item , spending $400 to turn into $200 final result .

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there's a lot of ambiguity with guns these days like there was 50-60 years ago. As an example, I have a rifle that my Dad bought as an "old gun." He bought it because it was a good price - $60 - and he thought it was interesting. These days it's a collectible 1886 Winchester and quite valuable, but in 1958 it was just an old gun - it wasn't even that old all things considered. (manufactured in 1891 - in 1958 it was only 67 years old.)

With that said, there's a world of difference in the gun collector world between what it was in 1960 and what it is now, 61 years later, in 2021. There may be a few oddball surprises here and there for what is or is not considered valuable, but I can say with a certain amount of conviction a guy who decided to refinish his $150 Mosin Nagant isn't going to lose out on a lot of money because he "ruined the collector value" by doing a refinish that actually turned it into something that isn't ugly...if that's even possible with a Mosin Nagant.

I have a ruined Mosin that would have been worth 2K+ on today's market. Made by Remington and marked with multiple US acceptance marks. All numbers match. Someone decided to sporterize it. Whish they had left the matching stock alone. I bought it for $200 15 years ago. I could probably sell it for $500 today. They are so rare that the collector market value is incredible.

You don't know what you have until you screw it up.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    what happened to the "my gun my choice " crowd ? it's yours , if you want to rattle can it , do it . it's yours to do what you want .

Don't misunderstand me. If you own it, it's yours to what you want. I just cringe when I see a gun that could have been a great find in today's market. Just like I cringe when I see a chopped up classic car and think what could have been.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    “I just love the original paint, gaskets and patina on that 1955 Chevy!” Said no one ever.

No one pays top dollar premium for an unrestored classic car.

We have two different conversations going on here. One is talking about restoration, the other is talking about making permanent modifications to turn a gun into something different than it was originally.

I currently own three rifles that started out as military rifles - two Mausers and a Springfield 1903A3 that are now well done sporters. I love all of them and have never even thought to check what they may have been as original rifles. I just don’t care that much and I’m perfectly fine with them being working guns.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    “I just love the original paint, gaskets and patina on that 1955 Chevy!” Said no one ever.

No one pays top dollar premium for an unrestored classic car.

We have two different conversations going on here. One is talking about restoration, the other is talking about making permanent modifications to turn a gun into something different than it was originally.

I currently own three rifles that started out as military rifles - two Mausers and a Springfield 1903A3 that are now well done sporters. I love all of them and have never even thought to check what they may have been as original rifles. I just don’t care that much and I’m perfectly fine with them being working guns.

Not true at all, there is a very large market for "survivor" cars.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah , I was conflicted with above post .

I have a couple of firearms niches : Quality , period correct Sporters . To Me , an authentic late '40s to mid '60s American style Sporter is q legitimate category in itself , not a damaged .mil rifle . ( But everyone else disagrees , so I can get some steals . And pre war N Frames , with aftermarket nickel plating .

But note that I get them after somebody else did the deed . so that I reap the benefit of their having slashed the values .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom