• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    So, I happened across an old Marlin, Model 25N. Appears to be from 1989 by the serial number. It was still in the original box when I found it, although appeared lightly used. Had a full magazine and one in the chamber. Still has the stickers on the forend of the stock.

Here is the question. I have seem many references and a few examples of the "Targeted by Phil B" stickers on these marlins, but that is the only name I have ever seen associated with these stickers. Mine appears to say that it was "targeted by Lar B"

I can't find any info about this other name, and no references to it at all.

I am just curious, has anyone else seen a name other than Phil B on these stickers, or have any other info?

I kind of want to remove all the stickers, but if it is really rare or something, I may refrain from doing so.

Anyone got any clues??

Attachments

• 20211028_143716.jpg
      20211028_143716.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 315

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Thanks, that is more info than I have found. The only image I have found is the one i just uploaded. The sticker stays for now. Maybe I need another .22 so I can keep this one relatively mint.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If the Marlin 39 I got for Christmas in 1974 had a sticker like that, I took it off the very first thing!

Meanwhile, did you really find a rifle that was fully loaded, magazine and chamber? Yikes!

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    You may be able to find more info at Marlinowners.com. I know that several former Marlin employees are regular members there.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    If the Marlin 39 I got for Christmas in 1974 had a sticker like that, I took it off the very first thing!

Meanwhile, did you really find a rifle that was fully loaded, magazine and chamber? Yikes!

Sure did, and not the first time. This time it was unexpected as it looked new in the box.

I used to manage house flips and during trash-out i have had MANY interesting finds. I got most of my reloading equipment that way.

Found a fully loaded 870 20ga magnum once.

Found a NIB Ruger SAA made in 2002, with the fixed sights, short barrel, faux ivory grips, and even the cartridge conversion cylinder was nearby. Guy had been using it as a door stop.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have an old Model 60 that still has that sticker on it, but I don't recall the name. I left it on there. It's a cool little piece of history of the rifle.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I never could quite figure out why a manufacturer would take a newly factory finished rifle, and then slap a damned gaudy ass adhesive backed sticker on it. But that just might be me.

So when they were in the rack and back when you could you handle them in the store without asking for permission, it made you pick it up, turn it over and look at the sights. Sales gimmick.
    I don't think it was there to leave sticker residue on the highly figured walnut or cause for having to resort to the internet for what alcohol type to remove the glue.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So when they were in the rack and back when you could you handle them in the store without asking for permission, it made you pick it up, turn it over and look at the sights. Sales gimmick.
    I don't think it was there to leave sticker residue on the highly figured walnut or cause for having to resort to the internet for what alcohol type to remove the glue.

Internet? I wasn't going to wait 25 years to find out how to get rid of that sticky mess!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Oh, I was being a bit facetious. Well aware that what you describe is exactly why they do it.

My first thought is that I hope the adhesive isn't too aggressive, or that I don't somehow mar a brand new purchase getting the damned thing off.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Internet? I wasn't going to wait 25 years to find out how to get rid of that sticky mess!

If you used it enough it would be gone the first summer you got it and you wouldn't have to worry about it much!
    The sticker residue would have been wiped off across your face on the walk back home or diddled off under your thumb on some girls front porch waiting on her to come out to go shoot some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom