• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone have experience with their .308 FMJ? Looks like a pretty reasonable price, but other than the reviews on their site, I can't seem to find anyone with actual experience. The few I've found were extremely negative, but also seemed like maybe it was some older plated lead .308 bullet Xtreme was making for a time (mention of a 150gr .30-30 bullet probably).

mbtech

Jan 6, 2014
    Delmarva
    I have not used there rifle bullets, I have used pistol bullets in 9mm, 41Mag, and 45acp and have had no problem with them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Their 223 rifle bullets are very solid, and were very good performers for me (loaded about 1k of them). I'm not necessarily a huge fan of 147gr as a bullet weight in 308 - I'd rather go light like 125gr or heavy like 175gr - but for 15 cents per bullet, I dunno, it seems like it's worth a try.

150gr 30-30 bullets are not great for most 308 loads, so I can see why people would have reacted badly to those.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I use the 223 and they are a great value
    I just looked a little over a week ago to see if they had 308 and they did not have any. Is this new for them?

I will never want to be desperate enough to buy armscore again as I got a bag of 223 and they were crap. I hope xtreme is not selling armscore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I went for it. ~$79 shipped with tax for 500 308 bullets in a can. Will screw around with them for cheaper 300 and 308 loads. Literally never seen cheaper 308 bullets that weren't pulls.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use the 223 and they are a great value
    I just looked a little over a week ago to see if they had 308 and they did not have any. Is this new for them?

I will never want to be desperate enough to buy armscore again as I got a bag of 223 and they were crap. I hope xtreme is not selling armscore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh. I got 1000 Armscor 62gr .224 FMJ. They been performing decently for me. Nothing exceptional, but they run to about 2MOA out of my 20” upper and about 3MOA out of my 16”.

I mean, RMR 69gr run to about .9moa out of my 20” and a little under 2 out of my 16”. So there is that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I went for it. ~$79 shipped with tax for 500 308 bullets in a can. Will screw around with them for cheaper 300 and 308 loads. Literally never seen cheaper 308 bullets that weren't pulls.

Ditto. Though I went without the can. If it is possible I have too many cans. If I can get them to shoot okay out of my Garand that would be awesome. But I can at least make cheap plinking rounds for my AR-10 and Sako. Though the reviews on their site sound promising that they might run pretty accurate.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I had ordered some and they came in.
    I got the bundle with the red can.
    the diameter is a very consistant .308
    The weight on a 15 unit sample was 147.1gr +/- 1gr with 12 of them being 147.1
    The Xtreme 308 is not a Boat Tail and you can see it on the left with a bulk 147gr BT FMJ I purchased from Wideners 2 years ago and a Hornady 3037 150gr BT FMJ on the right
    canelure is in the right place. I don't like the Hornady canalure location.

4ea8d67ead098a4bb68f35bb6c142e9d.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To be fair, it may not be a true boat tail, but the tail does look like rounded enough wouldn't be too painful to seat using a bullet feeder.

Still waiting for my order to be delivered.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To be fair, it may not be a true boat tail, but the tail does look like rounded enough wouldn't be too painful to seat using a bullet feeder.

Mine should be here in a day or two. Yeah, looks like it should be easy to seat. But not as ballistically performant as an actual boat tail. At least I’ll mostly be shooting these to 200yds. Maybe a super rare 300. Likely not going to matter much for my use. And might work better out of my Garand than a true boat tail.

Same rounded bottom that the Berry's 220 grn .308 I use in my 300 BO subs have. I have to flare the throat to get them to seat without too much pressure on the web of the case. You might need to do that with these. Load one up and try to chamber it. if it's tight or won't chamber that's the fix. You might be OK with them in a 308 though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Same rounded bottom that the Berry's 220 grn .308 I use in my 300 BO subs have. I have to flare the throat to get them to seat without too much pressure on the web of the case. You might need to do that with these. Load one up and try to chamber it. if it's tight or won't chamber that's the fix. You might be OK with them in a 308 though.
    Case mouth expansion is a functional necessity on full progressive setups anyways. I'm loading 300 on my Evo.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Incidentally, I did receive mine and they look good. Will be loading them with 45.5gr 4064.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I achieved sub-MOA out of my precision bolt gun using LC brass and 42.5gr Shooters World AR+. I just ordered another 500 with can.

Nice! I figure it’s going to be a long time before I load any. Too many different .308 bullets problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom