• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Simple question

I need a new set. Have always used the generic Hoppes kits from Wal Mart or Dicks etc. The real thin aluminum ones.

Is there anything that's legitimately better?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Simple question

I need a new set. Have always used the generic Hoppes kits from Wal Mart or Dicks etc. The real thin aluminum ones.

Yes, I have a couple of coated steel ones, and some Tipton/Dewey ones that work well for me.
    I also have homemade wooden ones for SG's and a very tiny one piece steel one for airguns-22's. (don't know who manufactured them)
    I do however carry some of the jointed aluminum ones in my truck from time to time for the range or while out hunting.
    The Dewey probably has the best overall construction. SOme of the Dewey specific brass ones are nice to have around too for pistols/Ar' and what not.
    Those Delrin rod guides are worth it too especially for small caliber rifles.
    Opossum Hollow? is the brand name of the ones I have around my bench.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 7.47.16 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 7.47.16 PM.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 283

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    J Dewey rods . They are one piece .Basspro carries them . There are different sizes & lengths.Cheap rods are exactly that , garbage . Not sure if they make a 2 piece I haven’t seen them . But they 40-50 $ and worth every penny to me .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I prefer the Tipton carbon fiber ones. Very strong but also flexible.

Especially useful when using a possum hollow chamber guide on a rifle with a high cheek piece, as it will flex around instead of kink or bind

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Dewey rods are made in the U.S.A.

Tipton rods are made in China.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Wait, people actually clean their barrels?

LoL

For those FEW times that I do, I simply use a bore snake. More often then not people do more damage than good, just my (maybe) unpopular opinion.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Simple question

I didn't look at the next 14 posts so maybe this has already been said, but I'll never buy another aluminum Hoppes rod. Had one break on me just a couple weeks ago when a jag/patch got stuck in the chamber and trying to pull it out.

Find something brass - softer than your barrel, more durable than aluminum

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    I appreciate all the brand suggestions, but can someone explain what makes one better than another? What does the extra cost get you if I wanted to "upgrade"?

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    I appreciate all the brand suggestions, but can someone explain what makes one better than another? What does the extra cost get you if I wanted to "upgrade"?

This is exactly what I'd like to know. I saw one mention of a Hoppe rod breaking, but beyond that, what makes one rod better than the next?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I use Dewey rods. The better one piece rods are less likely to break and the coated rods are less likely to damage the crown or bore of your rifle when you don't brush in completely straight strokes (this is also what the plastic guides are for if you buy those). They have way better handles than the cheap T handle segmented rods and are just a higher overall build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom