• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yes and no. 95% of the performance out of my hunting gun or something I use for competition is fine. However, my M4 is my main home defense gun and the one I would go to first. I need as close to 100% as I can get. Same goes for my home defense handguns, which are all Sigs and one HK. same goes for my home defense AR, which is made by JP Rifle.

However, if 95% of an M4 clone is what is affordable to somebody, it is still better than a Louisville Slugger. Worst case scenario, it can be used just like a Louisville Slugger.

Now, picking up an M4 clone and setting it up with a rifled barrel and a scope for deer hunting would be an option. That is if my SBE wasn't already set up for sabots.
    My current work rifle is a Geissele. Before that it was a KAC SR16 CQB, and before that it was an H&K416. In previous work it was an LWRCI piston gun, Colt M4A1, and finally a super old colt M16A2 with a rear sight that liked to bounce out of alignment under recoil. Sadly the brand name stamped on the side didn’t prevent those guns from having the occasional malfunction or even breaking in some cases. My last range trip my .308 AR that had been worked over by clandestine had this weird thing happen where the chamber had a big chunk of metal fall out of it due to an impurity in the barrel (obviously not clandestine’s fault, in fact someday I’m going to listen to him and not buy faxon barrels anymore), so I have to replace that. On the other hand we dug an early 1970s colt M16A1 in original configuration with a broken hand guard out of the ground once, and after cleaning and lubrication it shot well and the sights were somehow still on at 200 meters.

At this point in my life any gun I use is only as reliable as the last round out of it, and is only one round away from breaking. If erwos says the SDS A4 is potentially worth looking into, I think it’s worth looking into. I doubt it’ll ever be a home defense gun because I don’t really care for shotguns in a home defense role, and it’s kind of long to put my shotgun suppressor on it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Also, my S4 has an Aridus QD-C setup on it
    So you’ve basically put more into accessories and upgrades than the base shotgun. This is exactly the sort of challenge I look for in a firearm.

Once I pick my modernized Draco pistol up from the gunsmith I’ll have to make a thread about it. With upgrades (including discarded upgrades), suppressor, and optics, I am easily at a 2 or 3 to 1 cost ratio over the base pistol, but it is 100% exactly the way I want it. And I am going to do a two gun match with it when I have time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Cabela's has the collapsible stock M4's in stock for $1600.
    I just checked, and it was $1900 for the collapsing stock version. Also 90 miles away in Harrisburg. Let me also point out that the M1014 that Cabelas is selling does not have a true collapsible stock. You will need to go on to eBay or whatever and hunt down a real 3 position tube, and then install it. That tube is not cheap, and the install is not a quick, tools-free swap. The Sulun Tac-12 comes with a tube that has like 7 positions and the stock for it is ~$200.

As for "you put more into the gun than the base price", I'm going to keep pointing out that a stock $1600 Benelli M4 would have gotten every single one of these upgrades except for the new extractor/spring. My objective was to put the gun in a configuration that I could run it hard, not to spend money on it trying to make it cool. Sometimes the former requires the latter, I guess, but I really did only put in the upgrades I needed (excepting the TTI handle, which I got 35% off from them).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What do you consider a nicer tactical shotgun than the M4?

Anyway, until more info comes out about these shotguns, long term tests and such, i would say these are great shotguns to get the M4 experience (and it honestly has me wanting to buy a real M4 now) i would consider adding benelli parts to it if and when the turkish parts break, however if you buy one inspect it before taking it home.

These guns can be had under 400 on Gunbroker for the Aksa S4’s.

Sorry, mean to clarify. I mean a much nicer gun in general, not a tactical shotgun specifically.

I've always had an issue spending that kind of bucks on something as mundane as a production line shotgun. Now you show me an old piece of wood and steel or something that has value as a shootable firearm and a collectible then I'm much more open to the idea.

Just my $.02

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes and no. 95% of the performance out of my hunting gun or something I use for competition is fine. However, my M4 is my main home defense gun and the one I would go to first. I need as close to 100% as I can get. Same goes for my home defense handguns, which are all Sigs and one HK. same goes for my home defense AR, which is made by JP Rifle.

However, if 95% of an M4 clone is what is affordable to somebody, it is still better than a Louisville Slugger. Worst case scenario, it can be used just like a Louisville Slugger.

Now, picking up an M4 clone and setting it up with a rifled barrel and a scope for deer hunting would be an option. That is if my SBE wasn't already set up for sabots.

I wouldn't keep anything for HD without thoroughly vetting it. That being said a whole lot of homes are guarded by cheap pump shotguns, I know I know more reliable because of simplicity. Point is money doesn't necessarily buy dependability nor the correct item for a given application.

I keep a police trade in 870 for HD. It's ugly and if I lose it to the police one day I won't be as upset as if I lost an M4.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wouldn't keep anything for HD without thoroughly vetting it. That being said a whole lot of homes are guarded by cheap pump shotguns, I know I know more reliable because of simplicity.
    Are they? Because I've seen dudes screw those up in classes by short-stroking them. You can make an argument that's a training issue, but on the other hand, if you've got relatively switched-on guys training in a high-ish round count class making that mistake, I don't know that Harry Homeowner who shot a box through his pump a decade ago is going to necessarily do any better.

Like I wrote in a recent AAR, my SDS S4 outperformed a whole bunch of guns at a recent class, including at least one 1301... I'd personally prefer a quality auto-loader over a pump at this point, especially with buckshot.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Hey guys, i know these arent as nice as a true benelli and i’m looking to add a real one after owning these clones, however these are true clones, such as comparing a aero precision AR to something higher end like Lwrc? I dont wanna say colt because whew, these are finished and machined nicer.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey guys, i know these arent as nice as a true benelli and i’m looking to add a real one after owning these clones, however these are true clones, such as comparing a aero precision AR to something higher end like Lwrc? I dont wanna say colt because whew, these are finished and machined nicer.
    Yes, they are true clones, not just dressed up 1100 clones. They are nearly 100% parts compatible. There's a dude on ARFCOM who literally swapped every part out and documented it, in fact. The incompatibilities are generally minor screw thread issues (eg, the rear sight) which are trivial to work around, and the rear buffer spring tube (which I've talked about previously, and can be replaced with a factory tube anyways).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I bought an S4 as a beater gun or substitute to give the real m4 a break from wear.

Upgraded the S4 with 922r parts and installed a Benelli mag extension to restore it to 7-round capacity. ( follower, stock, foregrip, fc parts)

The mesa tactical stock is a must. The LOP on civilian m4’s are too long . The urbino with A 12.5” lop is perfect.

I fired federal and sterling target loads. About 120 rounds, then about 20 buckshots, 5 -3” magnum buckshots. Zero malfunctions.

Is it as good as a real M4? Not really. It’s a bit rough, the black finish isn’t perfect. But… imho, it’s good enough.

Attachments

• 470281AB-308C-4209-8B12-25FE93013BD7.jpg
      470281AB-308C-4209-8B12-25FE93013BD7.jpg
      159.2 KB · Views: 540

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I bought an S4 as a beater gun or substitute to give the real m4 a break from wear.

Upgraded the S4 with 922r parts and installed a Benelli mag extension to restore it to 7-round capacity. ( follower, stock, foregrip, fc parts)

The mesa tactical stock is a must. The LOP on civilian m4’s are too long . The urbino with A 12.5” lop is perfect.

I fired federal and sterling target loads. About 120 rounds, then about 20 buckshots, 5 -3” magnum buckshots. Zero malfunctions.

Is it as good as a real M4? Not really. It’s a bit rough, the black finish isn’t perfect. But… imho, it’s good enough.

That oldschool holosight though.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It outlived a couple of 552’s( eotech).

It’s at home on a 400 dollar shotgun. It still works. ( I think it’s over 20 years old)

Besides , I’m going for the retro look , with the old school heat shield and fixed stock. Kinda like a trench gun.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My current work rifle is a Geissele. Before that it was a KAC SR16 CQB, and before that it was an H&K416. In previous work it was an LWRCI piston gun, Colt M4A1, and finally a super old colt M16A2 with a rear sight that liked to bounce out of alignment under recoil. Sadly the brand name stamped on the side didn’t prevent those guns from having the occasional malfunction or even breaking in some cases. My last range trip my .308 AR that had been worked over by clandestine had this weird thing happen where the chamber had a big chunk of metal fall out of it due to an impurity in the barrel (obviously not clandestine’s fault, in fact someday I’m going to listen to him and not buy faxon barrels anymore), so I have to replace that. On the other hand we dug an early 1970s colt M16A1 in original configuration with a broken hand guard out of the ground once, and after cleaning and lubrication it shot well and the sights were somehow still on at 200 meters.

At this point in my life any gun I use is only as reliable as the last round out of it, and is only one round away from breaking. If erwos says the SDS A4 is potentially worth looking into, I think it’s worth looking into. I doubt it’ll ever be a home defense gun because I don’t really care for shotguns in a home defense role, and it’s kind of long to put my shotgun suppressor on it.

Wish I had guns at work. There are some but the guys on the boats won't let you play with them

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Got a link?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benelli-m1014-limited-edition-shotgun

I just checked, and it was $1900 for the collapsing stock version. Also 90 miles away in Harrisburg. Let me also point out that the M1014 that Cabelas is selling does not have a true collapsible stock.

When I saw this shotgun earlier this year, it was $1599. The stock was all the way closed, not all of the way open like in the picture. I posted about this earlier in the year when it was in stock at the Gainesville store, but was ignored. You snooze, you lose.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    922(r) compliant with a new trigger group, mag follower, mag spring, recoil spring, and recoil spring tube. No shell carriers yet. I debate them once in a while and always end up on the "no" side of the debate.

Nice. I think a Benelli M4 is my next gun purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom