• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Anyone know where to buy some MREs locally. I live in Carrol county.

Thanks.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Has to be MREs vs say mountain house?

Hmmm dunno . Going on a cross country trip by car and wanted to have some emergency food just in case I get in a similar situation as the recent I-95 debacle. Will look at mountain house.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    If you’re a vet and can access a base, most commissaries carry them.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hmmm dunno . Going on a cross country trip by car and wanted to have some emergency food just in case I get in a similar situation as the recent I-95 debacle. Will look at mountain house.

You'll probably want an MRE rather than dehydrated food for this case.

Check out this link, 3600 calorie food bars with decent shelf life. Im sure they don't taste great but I have these in my get home pack.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-survival-food-bars-5114017

Or you get get a jet boil and eat some tasty mountain house meals. Just pack a few gallons of water and you're ready to go.

Don't forget a tarp/tent and fire starters

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    You'll probably want an MRE rather than dehydrated food for this case.

Check out this link, 3600 calorie food bars with decent shelf life. Im sure they don't taste great but I have these in my get home pack.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-survival-food-bars-5114017

Or you get get a jet boil and eat some tasty mountain house meals. Just pack a few gallons of water and you're ready to go.

Don't forget a tarp/tent and fire starters

Yes, going to get a jet boil, coffee, a portable urinal, water, etc tomorrow :)

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD

If you're just looking for a short term solution and getting a jet boil, you're probably better off just packing regular food stuffs. Pack for a backcountry camping trip with stuff you'll eat after the trip so it doesn't go to waste. A small box will get you through 24-48 hours and the bonus is that you'll have some tuna or whatever to eat later.

I like canned chicken or pouch salmon and then those $1 bags of rice or noodles, I forget the name but they're at every grocery store.

If you're also looking to start an at home cache, MREs could be an option, but there's also better alternatives/options out there.

Have a fun trip!

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    If you're just looking for a short term solution and getting a jet boil, you're probably better off just packing regular food stuffs. Pack for a backcountry camping trip with stuff you'll eat after the trip so it doesn't go to waste. A small box will get you through 24-48 hours and the bonus is that you'll have some tuna or whatever to eat later.

I like canned chicken or pouch salmon and then those $1 bags of rice or noodles, I forget the name but they're at every grocery store.

If you're also looking to start an at home cache, MREs could be an option, but there's also better alternatives/options out there.

Have a fun trip!

Ramon noodles are the best.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

This. Usually they have the actual MREs, but sometimes just the cheaper ones that are made by the same contractors, but have less stuff in them.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    How many do you need?

I have a couple of low sodium MREs that I can give you if you need something to hold you over

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Portable urinal... I usually use empty soda bottles. If you’re preparing for a VA/95 situation I’d bring an empty 5gal bucket. Makes the pop a squat situation easier. Bring trash bags for liners.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Portable urinal... I usually use empty soda bottles. If you’re preparing for a VA/95 situation I’d bring an empty 5gal bucket. Makes the pop a squat situation easier. Bring trash bags for liners.

And cat litter to help absorb

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If you’re getting freeze dried for emergencies relative to travel, might I suggest you don’t presume your water will be unfrozen. Maybe a good assumption in summer time or even fall and spring. If your backup water lives in the trunk, you just might find popsicle when you need it. Mountain House is some good chit. Ten minutes with boiling water and you have some decent chow.

If it was only 48-72 hours, I’d consider lifeboat rations/bars. They are calorie dense and very forgiving of life in a trunk. Yeah, you wouldn’t want a steady diet of them but if you were hungry, they’d be about perfect.

Beware the MRE that’s of unknown age/origin/condition. They tend to age fine in proper conditions but trunk over time or wharehouses with unknown environmental conditions might make for a bad surprise when needed.

Good luck.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    For short term, I like stuff from the grocery store like fruit, granola bars, beef jerky, fig newtons, cheese sticks, nuts, cheese and cracker snack packs. Anything you might eat ordinarily that doesn't need to be kept cold. If you're in a car, weight isn't an issue like it is on a long hike.

You really should use a Jetboil in open air, not inside the car. So having at least some food that can be eaten as-is would be a bonus if it's really cold or raining hard outside.

Mountain House is pretty good but I don't think I'd enjoy it without the boiling water.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

Where in the commissary do you find these? I've shopped at commissaries on Navy and Air Force bases for over 40 years and never noticed them there (then again, I wasn't looking for them, either.) Or maybe it's an Army base commissary thing. . .

In my "get home bag" I have a sealed pack of "emergency food ration bars." I don't think I would be opening them up for an I-95 24hr stranded situation, though. I'd probably save the food in case a time comes when I had to walk out. Sure, if I had a snack in the car I might eat that to keep the edge off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom