What has the worst recoil that you've ever shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    For a handgun, at least...in my case, a handcannon. This is my 4" (Really 3" with a 1" comp) .500 mag. I handload a 400gr reduced recoil load that is downright pleasant with 11gr Trail Boss (recoils like a .44 mag on steroids, but 100% controllable), and a 350gr jacketed SP with 42gr of H110/296 that will physically split the skin from the web of your hand through a thick Mechanix glove after a few cylinders. I can't think of something else that is this violent (and way too much fun) to shoot. What is you folks worst kicker?

Attachments

• 500 S&W.jpg
      500 S&W.jpg
      112.5 KB · Views: 1,432

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    With ammo prices these days, the worst recoil I get is when I open my wallet. That thing hurts worse than my old H&R single shot with a 3-inch mag slug shell.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had the opportunity to shoot a 500 S&W Magnum, and didn't think it was that bad. I knew it was going to kick, but due to the porting on the barrel, it was a lot less muzzle flip that I was expecting. But, it is a step up from the 44 Magnum I own, and with heavy loads that can be a handful, although I don't really mind it.

For rifle, to date the hardest recoil I've experienced is with a 35 Whelen. It kicks hard enough that it's not exactly what I would call "fun" to shoot. I feel like I'm getting slapped in the face at the same time I'm getting my shoulder beaten up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since this is in the Handgun sub forum , I'll observe that you can certainly tell when 12in Contender in .45-70 goes off .

But after a certain point of horsepower , the actual power differences ate minor factor in comfort/ discomfort .

It's how well the grip fits your hand , and your stance. The is a school of thought that muzzlebreaks on full power .500 are actually counterproductive . Reducing the muzzle flip just concentrates the recoil into the web of your hand .

With true handcannons , rapid fire just isn't going to happen . Rolling in your hand/ your arm raising upwards is a feature , not a fault . Letting the gun recoil naturally makes .50AE , full power 454., etc not bad at all .... One handed .

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bil's desert eagle mag in 500. the recoil puts that beast over my head. insane. he also has a s&w 460 revolver but has a brake/comp and not bad at all.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I always liked the savage striker and wanted one in 308 for a decade. Never did get one, but I did get a 308 pistol barrel for a thompson encore. Unlike a rifle there is a huge difference in experienced pain between a 130gr and 180gr bullet. The scale goes from very painful to incredibly painful. I have little girl hands and have about 5 shots though it :)

For rifle it is Browning BLR in 300WM. I got the rifle in a lot, didnt pay much. Still have the rifle and 17rds of ammo.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    AR10 machine gun with a 10” or 11” barrel. I think my teeth were loose after dumping a mag out if it.

M14 and BAR (machine guns) are up on the list too

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    My hand feels like I got carpal tunnel after shooting a bunch of .454 through the Alaskan. The recoil isn't bad, it's just the impulse of the shot I guess. It's just really loud and intimidating for people to look at and try, buts it's really not any worse than shooting a full power .357 mag out of a SP101

Short barrel super powerful revolvers probably don't burn all the powder so add another 6 inches and the recoil is worse.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I used town a BAR...it isn't bad with trigger discipline. If you held the trigger back it would climb quickly and put holes in the sky. Recoil-wise it really didn't hurt but the weight of the beast had something to do with that.

With a rifle, the most vicious experience I ever had was with a Mosin-Nagant carbine with full power 7.62x54. Following that it would be an Enfield Jungle Carbine. 7MM Remington Magnum and .444 Marlins were pussycats compared to those.

Handgun? Never took the opportunity to shoot anything more powerful than a .44 Magnum. My first experience with that was when I was maybe 12-13...my brother had a Blackhawk chambered for it. It was an eye opener for me.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    12 gauge coach gun firing slugs with both triggers at the same time. Puts a whollup on you. By buddie's 10 guage BPS with slugs also thumped fairly hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom