• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    The last few times they tried banning 80%s it failed because they either didn't understand federal gun law or they accidentally (?) made it an illegal taking. Eventually, they are going to figure out what works and pass something, IMHO.

I have heard from at least one person in the MGA that this year is also different because Frosh will be directly championing the bill, and it won't be introduced/managed by Del. Lopez as it has been in years past. I believe Speaker Jones will introduce it and it is expected to be a priority for passage this year, moreso than in years prior.

In addition, because the AG is driving it, the expectation is that it will be more focused on punishment and penalty than on establishing what constitutes "legitimate homebuilding".

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    In my opinion, there's a lot of denial around here about the increasing popularity that these have with criminals. It's a heck of a lot safer to order a P80 kit and some parts than actually steal a gun or buy a stolen gun, and moreso, it's far easier to do on an industrial scale. If you want to equip yourself and the boys with some firepower off the radar, just ordering some 80% kits and some tools from Harbor Freight basically sets you up indefinitely.

All of this is to say, pretending like the results of a FOIA on the topic are going to be our friend is a mistake in my opinion. Giving us those numbers means the government has those numbers, too.

The last few times they tried banning 80%s it failed because they either didn't understand federal gun law or they accidentally (?) made it an illegal taking. Eventually, they are going to figure out what works and pass something, IMHO. As others have pointed out, state level legislation is dumb and won't stop gangs, but that's never stopped the MGA before.

The landlord thing was just bizarre. "We have a housing crisis, let's make it less appealing to providing rental housing vs just AirBNBs" is some classic MD politician thinking.

Catching a prohibited person with a firearm is the same if it's stolen, a straw purchase from their girlfriend, or an 80%. They'll get nolle prosequi and sent out the door to do it again.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Expect most companies selling these to stop shipping to Maryland soon.
    Who would have them shipped? You go to a gun show out of state, pay cash. Leave no paper trail.

Now, the arguments against such legislation:
    1. There isn't a spot in this state that is more than 90 minutes from another state. Criminals will go out of state.
    2. Watch the wording. I'd bet the actual legislation will be poorly worded...and would prohibit the building of muzzle-loading firearms from kits and components. Is the MGA that terrified of criminals running around with flintlock rifles?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Who would have them shipped? You go to a gun show out of state, pay cash. Leave no paper trail.

1. There isn't a spot in this state that is more than 90 minutes from another state. Criminals will go out of state.
    2. Watch the wording. I'd bet the actual legislation will be poorly worded...and would prohibit the building of muzzle-loading firearms from kits and components. Is the MGA that terrified of criminals running around with flintlock rifles?

Nope. They're not terrified by or concerned about criminals at all.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

Someone that only wants to build one. A law abiding citizen. Most online retailers have them cheaper too.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Frosh says in his press release that he wants to ban possession post-1/1/23.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Frosh says in his press release that he wants to ban possession post-1/1/23.

I’d be surprised if the language is much different from the proposed language last year.

If you look, the press release says it bans possession unless exempt.

My guess is, same as last time. “Here are serializing requirements that are impossible to do on many 80s and doesn’t follow ATF requirements. Serialize it by 1/1/23 and here are record keeping reauirements. Anything built after 1/1/23 is highly enriched uranium and you’ll be treated as such”

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Maybe one of them read a graphic novel about the insurrectionist activities here in 1776...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you are a prohibited person, building a p80 glock is no more legal than buying one from a gun store with laws currently on the books now. Wanting to ban homemade firearms seems like an admission that laws prohibiting criminals from possessing firearms are both not effective and not enforced. Why would this change make any difference? Now they're going to get double secret nolle'd if a prohibted person is caught with a home-build?

Once again, this does nothing to stop criminals, while infringing further on the 2a rights of the law abiding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom