• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks,

I made the mistake of watching Die Hard a few times around Christmas, and now I've got Berettavirus. I've been looking for a while now, and I think I finally want to pick up a 92, but I can't decide which one to get.

I definitely want one with a rail, but I don't see myself using a RDO anytime in the near future. A couple models jump out at me, namely:

• 92A1
    • 92 Compact
    • 92X (Compact looks nice, but seems to be unobtainium)
    • 92X Centurion

Couple concerns I have are grip thickness (for reference, I shoot a Springfield Mil-Spec and a Glock 45, but I've found the couple M92FSs I've handled to be really thick, by comparison) and also magazine compatibility with available magazines and the CX4, should I eventually pick one up. And I'd like to keep it under $750, if possible.

Any info and advice is appreciated, thanks!

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My vote:

“ The Beretta 96 is a Beretta 92 that's been overbuilt a bit in order to accommodate the .40 S&W round instead of 9mm Parabellum, the typical chambering. If you were to look at the internals of the slide, you'd see a buffer in the frame (it'll run +P without issue) and a thicker nose in the 92A1 compared to the 92FS or the M9 family. Essentially, a Beretta 96A1 converted to 9mm”.

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/beretta-92a1-vs-beretta-m9a1/

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Not too long ago I picked up a Girsan Regard, it's a 92 clone, it's got some finger groves that are little irritating but other than that from what I can tell it's a 100% clone and all magazines I've tried have functioned 100%.....the basic model was $325 or so.....and it has a rail.

A few years ago there was a large batch of police trade-in 92S from Italy that were imported. Not sure what pricing and supply are these days, especially given corona, but at the height of the glut from that importation you could get them for as low as $199...they don't have a rail though. These have the mag release down at the heel of the grip and not all 92 mags work, M9s definitely won't work unless modified, but used 92S mags and/or mags that are cut to function in both are readily available.

Rumint I've heard on new production 92s is that since Beretta moved to TN QC has slipped a bit and some people complain that fit and finish on the Regard is better than what Beretta is currently putting out.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have had this since the early 1990's. Made in Italy, 92FS in Inox.
    Bought it new in South Carolina when the base was still open down there.

Attachments

• Beretta 92 .jpg
      Beretta 92 .jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 802

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The X's I think are all Vertec frames, more of a 1911 angle and I think a bit thinner. So, if grip thickness is a concern those may be better for you.

There are some thin grips made if you get a standard 92 that help some also but are not magic.

Check a bit, I think the 92A1 isn't 100% interchangeable with the other 92's. Almost all the other 92's and 96's can be swapped around but I think that one can't for some reason. Not a deal breaker but a minor concern I would say.

You can also swap the uppers out if you wanted to go .40 down the road with a 96 upper. I forget, you can just change the barrel, but that only works one way and is a bit less ideal. I got the upper silly cheap years ago when .40 suddenly became "worthless".

Great pistols in my mind. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I had an inox 92fs which I couldn't shoot very well. Just didn't fit my hands, even though they're fairly large. Traded it toward a CZ Sp01 and never looked back.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I have had this since the early 1990's. Made in Italy, 92FS in Inox.
    Bought it new in South Carolina when the base was still open down there.

Y'know, I'm not usually one for stainless—for some reason, having a reflective handgun just seems like a bad idea. But... dang Beretta does it right. I wish more manufacturers went with the matte stainless look; it's part of why I picked up my Model 66 Combat. Wonder if it's more labor-intensive or something?

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I got a 92 about 11 years ago. At the time I wasn't sold on polymer guns, so it came down to the Beretta, SIG P226 or CZ. I ended up choosing the 92 since I was going to be issued one for work and figured I may as well practice with the same. The best magazines you can get are Mec-Gar, better than the Beretta ones. I had several 18 rounders, some with 2 round extenders. Eventually I tried a Glock 19 and that became my favorite. They shoot better, are lighter and more compact and have way more aftermarket parts and accessories. I sold the Beretta a few years ago. Other brands that I would consider are HK and FN.

ithacaartist

Jun 15, 2020
    Mecklenburg, NY
    Y'know, I'm not usually one for stainless—for some reason, having a reflective handgun just seems like a bad idea. But... dang Beretta does it right. I wish more manufacturers went with the matte stainless look; it's part of why I picked up my Model 66 Combat. Wonder if it's more labor-intensive or something?

If you bead blast whatever parts you don't want to be shiny, you will have a satin finish. Yes, this is an extra step.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Welp, I ended up going with an Inox 92FS; I managed to find one that was stamped from the Accokeek days, even. Can't wait for it to get here, I'm really excited. :D

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a 92FS Inox I bought in 13 and a 92X I bought last December. The grip on the 92X fits my hand better than the inox but I really like them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom