• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I have some questions about applying "Handgun exempt training
    license ".
    1) " Weapon Exemption information", should I put one of my handgun which was bought before 10/1/2013 on there? I still keep the original receipt but it is a little bit old.
    2) Will $50 for License fee be charged no matter issued or rejected?
    3) Is the license good for 10 years ?

Thanks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    license ".
    1) " Weapon Exemption information", should I put one of my handgun which was bought before 10/1/2013 on there? I still keep the original receipt but it is a little bit old.

Thanks.

Presuming you're talking about Maryland's HQL. Yes, if you own (in Maryland) a handgun you purchased before that date, you can provide a make/model/serial number that will match the records MSP has from that transfer. That will get you around the training requirement.

But you still have to do the prints, submit the application, and pay the fee.

And yes, good for ten years (or until the right court case finally puts a stake through the HQL's heart and buries it like the blood-drinking freedom vampire it is).

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    The above answer I was informed is correct.

I don’t want to hijack but I had a card to carry a handgun on duty, card now expired and sold all pistols. I was informed because I qualified through MSP instructor I was exempt from training requirements.

Any ideas?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    license ".

Thanks.

They don't need your receipt. They just need the serial #.

Pro tip. You can buy a AR lower without an HQL and then use it to get the training exemption for your HQL. Same for C&R handguns

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They don't need your receipt. They just need the serial #.

Pro tip. You can buy a AR lower without an HQL and then use it to get the training exemption for your HQL. Same for C&R handguns

Another rule of thumb is to use a handgun serial number that they already have a record of.

Other alternatives include:

Buy a Curio and Relic eligible handgun. C&R handguns do not require an HQL, but tge serial number/proof of possession will exempt you from training.
    C&R handguns include any and all which are 50 years old and older, as well as a specific few which are younger.

Buy a "blackpowder" cap and ball revolver, and fill out a "Voluntary Registration" on it.

I confess this is my own idea, but I would love to see someone do it. A cap and ball revolver is not regulated as a firearm, so anyone can buy one with no paperwork, yet they are handguns and they have serial numbers. I have no doubt the MSP would be delighted to "register" one for you. Don't tell them you plan to use it for HQL training exemption though until after it comes back "Not Disapproved."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or use your Hunter Safety Card. If you don't have one , take the Texas online class .

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    @Occam I done this afternoon.

Presuming you're talking about Maryland's HQL. Yes, if you own (in Maryland) a handgun you purchased before that date, you can provide a make/model/serial number that will match the records MSP has from that transfer. That will get you around the training requirement.

But you still have to do the prints, submit the application, and pay the fee.

And yes, good for ten years (or until the right court case finally puts a stake through the HQL's heart and buries it like the blood-drinking freedom vampire it is).

I done the application this afternoon, printed some files, summited the application on line and paid the fee, the status is " Completed=application in review with review officer .How long does it usually take to approve? I heard they will send the license by online .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I done the application this afternoon, printed some files, summited the application on line and paid the fee, the status is " Completed=application in review with review officer .How long does it usually take to approve? I heard they will send the license by online .

Happily, my first (and one hopes, only - come on law suit!) experience with the HQL had my permit in hand (an actual plastic card - how quaint!) right about 30 days. I suspect you're still in the one month neighborhood now, minus the couple days they no longer spend to produce and mail you a shiny new card.

You can spend those weeks shopping around for handguns! :-)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I think they're moving a bit more quickly than 30 days, mercifully. I had a student who had his in less than a week recently.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I think they're moving a bit more quickly than 30 days, mercifully. I had a student who had his in less than a week recently.

Well! That's ... strangely good news. Too good. Hmmm.

aebAWZQ_460s.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Submitted fees and fingerprints to MSP 12/21 evening; rec'd HQL email 1/5. So 11 working days, if they worked on 12/24 and 12/31. Or 2 weeks on the calendar.

I held out on principle as long as I could, but I needed the HQL to buy one of Rack&Roll's revolvers. Affection and nostalgia for the win.

I loathe MD's government.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Clarification question. Does the exemption need to be a regulated gun they have a decided of? If I moved into the state in the early 90's and owned a pistol at the time could I use that s/n#?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Clarification question. Does the exemption need to be a regulated gun they have a decided of? If I moved into the state in the early 90's and owned a pistol at the time could I use that s/n#?

I wouldn't use a handgun that's not on their list of guns that you own. Your are better off buying a C&R or stripped AR15 lower receiver and using that for your exemption. :innocent0

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wouldn't use a handgun that's not on their list of guns that you own. Your are better off buying a C&R or stripped AR15 lower receiver and using that for your exemption. :innocent0

Why not? IIRC, there’s nothing that says it had to be purchased in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Why not? IIRC, there’s nothing that says it had to be purchased in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but as of right now it is a legaly owned unregerstered handgun in this state. Just like handguns brought from a private seller before Oct. 1, 1996, or the handguns that you legaly owned if you moved into Maryland before Oct. 1, 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom