• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    FMJ?

In general, I agree with dbledoc; his experience is similar to mine in inner city ER's. In addition, I agree with his summary of the available medical literature - there are no definitive clinical data that directly address bullet design and probability of incapacitation. Unfortunately, much of what is published in the popular press or shown on You Tube only very remotely represents ability to incapacitate a malefactor. There is NO SUCH thing as significant hydrostatic shock effects in handgun calibers, because they do not achieve sufficient velocities; temporary "stretch cavities" commonly shown in gel on You Tube are meaningless because this has been shown as not unrelated to significant tissue damage. Penetration is more critical than expansion, since handgun projectiles can incapacitate only by penetration of vital organs or large blood vessels. Accuracy is more important than other considerations.
    I have not seen any reliable, non-speculative data on bystander injuries, lawsuits, prosecutions, etc. due to overpenetration, although it seems reasonable to have some concern for that risk.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In general, I agree with dbledoc; his experience is similar to mine in inner city ER's. In addition, I agree with his summary of the available medical literature - there are no definitive clinical data that directly address bullet design and probability of incapacitation. Unfortunately, much of what is published in the popular press or shown on You Tube only very remotely represents ability to incapacitate a malefactor. There is NO SUCH thing as significant hydrostatic shock effects in handgun calibers, because they do not achieve sufficient velocities; temporary "stretch cavities" commonly shown in gel on You Tube are meaningless because this has been shown as not unrelated to significant tissue damage. Penetration is more critical than expansion, since handgun projectiles can incapacitate only by penetration of vital organs or large blood vessels. Accuracy is more important than other considerations.
    I have not seen any reliable, non-speculative data on bystander injuries, lawsuits, prosecutions, etc. due to overpenetration, although it seems reasonable to have some concern for that risk.

Well stated. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom