• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I like to know this , because I only had experience to buy gun when I was living in VA.
    Suppose I already have my HQL, ( I applied but haven’t received yet ) I guess the procedure as following,’
    1) Place an order , find a FFL dealer in local for doing transfer.
    2) Send the copy of HQL & FFL information to the shop.
    3) The gun shop will ship the gun to FFL ( can they ship the gun immediately, or need more time to check ?)
    4) When FFL received the gun package , they will notify me ,do background check , before I pay and take the gun. should I have to wait some more time?

Thanks.

I like to know this , because I only had experience to buy gun when I was living in VA.
    Suppose I already have my HQL, ( I applied but haven’t received yet ) I guess the procedure as following,’
    1) Place an order , find a FFL dealer in local for doing transfer.
    2) Send the copy of HQL & FFL information to the shop.
    3) The gun shop will ship the gun to FFL ( can they ship the gun immediately, or need more time to check ?)
    4) When FFL received the gun package , they will notify me ,do background check , before I pay and take the gun. should I have to wait some more time?

Thanks.

The only thing I would change is to line up an FFL on your end before buying online.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The online vendor doesn’t need your HQL. You can ask your FFL if they’ll receive the handgun and hold it for you while you wait for your HQL.

Shipping takes as long as they feel like. Some places are quick to ship and some places are slow. They can verify your FFL’s info instantly on ATF’s eZ Check, so that’s not an obstacle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IF the shipper is an FFL, they sometimes will look up the FFL information for the MD FFL you are transferring it to.
    But the Seller/FFL does not do any background check on you.
    The MD FFL will have you do a 77r (online) at the shop and 4473 at the shop where you pay for the 77r $10 plus their shop fee for the transfer.
    Its submitted (most shops have a PC/Laptop you use). MD FFL holds onto the handgun for the 7 day wait.
    You get an email that you are "not disapproved" then you go in and pick up. If not disapproved, then you are in a pickle.

Not only should you pick your MD FFL prior to the purchase, buy you need to verify the handgun model is on the MD handgun roster.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

The online vendor doesn’t need your HQL. You can ask your FFL if they’ll receive the handgun and hold it for you while you wait for your HQL.

Shipping takes as long as they feel like. Some places are quick to ship and some places are slow. They can verify your FFL’s info instantly on ATF’s eZ Check, so that’s not an obstacle.

I believe others here have purchased prior to their HQL and had the FFL hold it until they completed it.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    @Melnic thanks, I forgot to verify handgun model

IF the shipper is an FFL, they sometimes will look up the FFL information for the MD FFL you are transferring it to.
    But the Seller/FFL does not do any background check on you.
    The MD FFL will have you do a 77r (online) at the shop and 4473 at the shop where you pay for the 77r $10 plus their shop fee for the transfer.
    Its submitted (most shops have a PC/Laptop you use). MD FFL holds onto the handgun for the 7 day wait.
    You get an email that you are "not disapproved" then you go in and pick up. If not disapproved, then you are in a pickle.
    Not only should you pick your MD FFL prior to the purchase, buy you need to verify the handgun model is on the MD handgun roster.

right now I am going to buy a 9mm revolver , S&W or Ruger, but I can wait and not in rush.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Is the price that much better? One thing to consider is that when you buy out of state you will be paying a transfer fee to the local FFL. Depending upon the shop that could be $25-$75 that you need to factor into the total cost.
    You might be better off checking with some of the IP's here to see if any of them has what you want in stock or can order it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    right now I am going to buy a 9mm revolver , S&W or Ruger, but I can wait and not in rush.

The only guns I get transferred in are ones that are unobtainable from a local FFL. Otherwise I support my local shops. I’ll negotiate but at the end of the day they get my business.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    @ Melnic: I searched “ Maryland handgun roster” , I couldn’t find a “ approved list” , only found a “ disapproved list” update on December 2020, Those guns which I am planning to buy don’t show on the list, but is “approved list” existing? because I saw a following message said
    “Therefore, the fact that a handgun does not appear on this list of disapproved guns does not automatically mean that it is an approved gun. To see whether a handgun is approved for sale or manufacture in Maryland, call 410-653-4247. “

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    @ Melnic: I searched “ Maryland handgun roster” , I couldn’t find a “ approved list” , only found a “ disapproved list” update on December 2020, Those guns which I am planning to buy don’t show on the list, but is “approved list” existing? because I saw a following message said
    “Therefore, the fact that a handgun does not appear on this list of disapproved guns does not automatically mean that it is an approved gun. To see whether a handgun is approved for sale or manufacture in Maryland, call 410-653-4247. “

What gun are you planning to buy? Make and model?

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Is the price that much better? One thing to consider is that when you buy out of state you will be paying a transfer fee to the local FFL. Depending upon the shop that could be $25-$75 that you need to factor into the total cost.
    You might be better off checking with some of the IP's here to see if any of them has what you want in stock or can order it.

When I was living in VA, the transfer fee from other state was about less than $30.00 ( I forgot exactly it was) $ 75.00 is too much! I also can concern to buy from a MD Gun show.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Still say to check the IP map in the header and see if an IP near you has what you want or can order what you want. Again, mention you’re a member of MDS and sometimes you’ll get a discount. Better to support an IP member.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

If you google "md handgun roster" the second link is the msp website that has the approved database. Scroll down a bit and it has a "filter by manufacturer" link. Put in manufacturer and up pops approved models.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    When I was living in VA, the transfer fee from other state was about less than $30.00 ( I forgot exactly it was) $ 75.00 is too much! I also can concern to buy from a MD Gun show.

Contact member: RRomig, his rate is very reasonable but you have to pay $10 MSP fee still. He is in Jessup, MD.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless the gun in question is otherwise unobtainable, I'd look into ordering from a local FFL. Added charges for transfers and shipping can mount up to the point that it's economically unfeasible to buy out of state. (C&R can be the exception here.)

I bought a modern handgun before getting my HQL; did the HL paperwork at the dealer's, and paid for the gun up front. Probably best to ask first, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom