• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    These are VERY good questions and is why I wanted folks to post their interview experience to see how consistent (or not) they truly are. Already spoke w/ Delegate Smigiel's office. They are very interested and want a written statement ASAP and will personally hand it to him today.

Just replying to emphasize this part of your statement. These things can be important and help folks like Smiegel to help us. It sounds like from this, and other posts about the permit process they are truly interested in any anomolies and exactly how MSP is administering the process.

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Ok, I am going to put this out there to try and stomp out the the physician-note tactic.

Yes. Not all docs are created equal. Yes, it is very likely some would say no simply because they do not like guns.

The real issue is, what doctor, even if he/she is in favor of the 2A, would bear the responsibility of signing off on a patient to carry a firearm because of whatever medications/health reasons/etc the person has? You guessed it, NO ONE.

The state is clearly trying to shift blame and responsibility to the private sector, and to doctors of all people, who deal with enough legal BS already, in case the person commits a violent crime with a gun. That way, the the state can say, "we didn't approve it, Dr. So & So did, sue them." So now you are being sued for something sure as hell not covered under medical malpractice, and you are now SOL and up a creek.

So that should explain that tactic by the state. I am working with Delegate Smigiel's office as we speak so I will post a new thread if need be. Thanks for all of you responses and support!

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Yes I was called, I think it was the 19 of March, submitted my app on the 12th of March. Received my letter stating I was not a criminal the next day.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Thanks for the information. I have recently been prescribed a med for life. I have crohns disease, my medication act basically like a supository would, only it is taken orally. There are no mental side effects with this medication. How is this relevant to wether or not I am fit to carry a gun? I will provide information of this medication if asked. A doctors note is rediculous...

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Thanks for the information. I have recently been prescribed a med for life. I have crohns disease, my medication act basically like a supository would, only it is taken orally. There are no mental side effects with this medication. How is this relevant to wether or not I am fit to carry a gun? I will provide information of this medication if asked. A doctors note is rediculous...

Thanks for the info, keep us updated and I hope that new med helps you.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Had my phone interview Saturday evening (3/24). Was asked:
    1. All my demographic data.
    2. Employment info.
    3. The basics, "have you ever been/done/do..." drugs, alcohol, arrested, assault, etc, etc.
    4. Do I own any firearms? What types?
    5. Am I married? Is my wife available to speak with him? (I am, she was). Asked her about my personality, if she was comfortable with firearms in the home.

That's fairly accurate.....:-)

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I hope that MSI is noting the type and number of questions that are being asked by MSP.
    I wonder what Judge Legg would think of these extensive questions, that is, "Good and Substantial Reason(s)."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    DOsniper:

"7.) What prescription medications are you on and what for? Followed by, "These meds don't bar you from a permit, HOWEVER, you need a doctor's note to say you are good guy and these meds won't affect you from carrying a gun."

I wonder what doctors would be bold enough to, and take the risk of putting themselves on record, by answering the above question. Not many, if any at all! They'd have to be insane!

I'm glad other people see it that way. I have enough liability just doing the job I am SUPPOSED to do. I don't need to be liable for what you do when you are carrying. I am not a psychiatrist. I have to write letters for people on certain medications for their commercial driver's licenses. Sometimes they ask that I put in writing that I guarantee 100% that the medication they are taking will not cause any problems. Sorry.....I can't do that.

** I am a primary care doc

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Let us review WHO MAY APPLY as stated by the MSP in their literature:

"The Secretary of State Police shall...issue a permit to a person who the Secretary finds:

4.) is NOT PRESENTLY an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless the habitual use of the controlled dangerous sunstance is under legitimate medical direction....

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'm glad other people see it that way. I have enough liability just doing the job I am SUPPOSED to do. I don't need to be liable for what you do when you are carrying. I am not a psychiatrist. I have to write letters for people on certain medications for their commercial driver's licenses. Sometimes they ask that I put in writing that I guarantee 100% that the medication they are taking will not cause any problems. Sorry.....I can't do that.

You're a doctor, are you not? I don't see you state it in your message.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're a doctor, are you not? I don't see you state it in your message.
    Yep, sorry, will edit. I am primary care, so would most likely be the guy asked to write a lot of notes.....

He is and I'm sure he sees the way the state is playing this. There's a battle at every turn with them. :tdown:
    No question. Doctors are a huge target for lawsuits. I don't need another thing to worry about. It really isn't in my job description. It is a good idea from the States perspective. If you get the permit and do something, they can say the doc cleared you. If they don't give you the permit because the doc won't give the OK, they can blame the doc for not writing the note.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

** I am a primary care doc
    Well said teratos. :thumbsup:

I guess, in a way, this is the medical equivalent of Maryland using 'not disapproved', except you are just being prudent and the state is being a weenie.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    There are plenty of LEO's out there on antidepressants, so the firearms division needs to be consistent. As long as one doesn't have a psychiatric hospitilization history or suicidal/homicidal ideation, I don't see what their problem is. For all the griping about a growing federal government, I see MD's commie state government as the bigger enemy. At least there is some accountability with the federal government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom