• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How did you start reloading?

• Self taught with printed materials (books, magazines)

Votes: 80 61.5%
    • Self taught with videos

Votes: 14 10.8%
    • Family member taught (father, uncle, mother, etc)

Votes: 14 10.8%
    • Mentor taught (other than family member)

Votes: 16 12.3%
    • Other (please post what method)

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I showed up to my buddy's gunshop and he had bought me a MEC grabber and components and told me to pay him when I had the money. I was in college and working part time at Giant food. Before that I was reloading shells on his press and paying him for the components.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    JSW taught me the basics when I got a few supplies together. From there it was other guys I know that reload and reading / hands on.

I didn't vote mentor but I guess you could say that JSW was for a bit.
    Thank you Joe !!!

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    After the earlier post on this thread I tried to locate a picture of My Herter 6 Station Press circa 1960 ....I went on E-bay and they have one listed on page 1 search: Herter's Waseca, Minn. then look under Reloading Stuff. Also found My Scale and Powder Measure. I told You they would last through My Lifetime !

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I started with shotshells when I was around 8-10 yrs old. Taught by my father. We did that together for years. He never did brass. I started that about a year or so ago. Reading quite a few books along with some help here from MDS made it a smooth transition. I enjoy the precision and detail involved with brass.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Not sure how to explain my start, I guess self taught with electronic mentoring from my shooting cohorts. Definately a little intimidating when first starting out with nobody looking over my shoulder.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Watched some youtube vids and called Bob from Marylandreloadr and came home with a 550b.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I reload .45LC for Cowboy Action. I read a lot, including the ABCs.

I watched a lot of Youtube videos. Some taught me valuable lessons. Some taught me that if this yahoo can do it, I better be able to.

And MDShooters for further training, tips and questions.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    My Grand Dad started me when I was a teenager. Later in life-about 25 years ago,
    I bought some equipment for rifle. But I did load some 12 ga shotgun when in Germany on active duty running the skeet range. about 8 years ago I bought several hundguns that I now load for. I'm teaching my hounger brother how to use my equipment, soon he'll be the proud owner of my stuff.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I first started helping a roommate that used a Lee loader back in the early 80's, then another friend taught me a lot more on his equipment until I got my Lyman set up in the early 90's.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    30 years ago, I got my first 357 magnum, shorty after my older brother decided he wanted one. Not too long after that we realized we could shoot more if we made our own ammunition and went in 50/50 on the $130 price of a new square deal press.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In 1989, I picked up my first pistol, a Ruger Blackhawk in 32-20. Since that caliber is kind of hard to find, even at the time, I had to reload. I bought a Partner Press from RCBS, along with RCBS reloading dies and a Lee shell holder. A Sierra loading manual got me started, and I've been reloading on and off since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom