• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    Okay understood. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly, in so many words, IS allowed with the current gun show loop hole? Thanks!

Just ask any news paper publisher or television station reporter (they are in the know)! According to their "Reporting" there are more "loop holes" at gun shows than holes in Swiss Cheese :lol2:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    My understanding is that a NON-regulated long gun which is anything that is NOT listed in the MD Code that was updated in 2013 is cash and carry, no background check; just buy it and walk away with it.

A SIG P223 is a regulated handgun, therefore it would require a 7 day (most places say 8 just to be safe) "cool down" period (so you can really think long and hard about whether or not you want to shoot that bugger...) after which time you can go back to the dealer and pick up the gun.

If I'm wrong, please let me know! I'm pretty sure that is correct though :D

If you buy from a dealer a non reg firearm it is cash n carry as long as you can pass a nics background check. This does not apply to antiques.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have never purchased a firearm at a show in Maryland...so, let's say I give in to my Freudian lId and buy a Hi Point carbine...or a Sig 225. N
    Is it an online background check - pay - walk process, or is there a waiting period?

There is NO mandatory waiting period on a LONG GUN in Maryland. All LONG GUNS previously on the Wrongly termed "Assault Weapons" list are now banned for sale. The NICS check can be a waiting period of 3 days IF you get placed on hold?

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    If you buy from a dealer a non reg firearm it is cash n carry as long as you can pass a nics background check. This does not apply to antiques.

Wait, so even a NON-regulated firearm requires a NICS background check? This is news to me! Are non-regulated firearms also part of the "only one per month/ 2 per 60 day" rule?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    It is covered in bits and pieces of this thread, but not in one place. A long gun bought from a dealer with an FFL requires a NICS check. The same purchase from a private individual without an FFL does not. Right?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It is covered in bits and pieces of this thread, but not in one place. A long gun bought from a dealer with an FFL requires a NICS check. The same purchase from a private individual without an FFL does not. Right?

Depends on sellers preference AND if they are residents of the same state. If they are NOT residents of the same state they MUST go through an FFL for a 4473, and any other applicable state paperwork.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Depends on sellers preference AND if they are residents of the same state. If they are NOT residents of the same state they MUST go through an FFL for a 4473, and any other applicable state paperwork.

Correct...

AND ... IF the seller suspects/has reason to believe that the prospective buyer is a prohibited person. The sale can not legally be completed.

The seller must believe the buyer to be a person who is not prohibited from possessing/buying a firearm, before the sale can proceed.

And this is still true at a Gun Show.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    IIRC Gabby Gifford's husband tried to buy an AR, filled out the paperwork and while waiting the FFL realized his intent (publicity stunt) and said No Go and the sale was cancelled. Backfired on them and the media went silent!

Oh, gun show thread, there is an 80% chance I may go or 160% ... ran out of fingers and toes to count on.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    IIRC Gabby Gifford's husband tried to buy an AR, filled out the paperwork and while waiting the FFL realized his intent (publicity stunt) and said No Go and the sale was cancelled. Backfired on them and the media went silent!

Oh, gun show thread, there is an 80% chance I may go or 160% ... ran out of fingers and toes to count on.

I remember that and how it wasn't repeated for a week and a half on the news programs. Not sure which I hate more, Democrats or the MSM.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have never purchased a firearm at a show in Maryland...so, let's say I give in to my Freudian lId and buy a Hi Point carbine...or a Sig 225. N
    Is it an online background check - pay - walk process, or is there a waiting period?

The Hi Point is good to go (phone background check (NICS) - cash and carry)

The Sig 225 is a 7 day wait and requires the HQL

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My understanding is that a NON-regulated long gun which is anything that is NOT listed in the MD Code that was updated in 2013 is cash and carry, no background check; just buy it and walk away with it.

There is ALWAYS a background check (NICS) on any firearm purchased from a dealer. MSP does it for handguns, the dealer does it for long guns and shotguns.

A SIG P223 is a regulated handgun, therefore it would require a 7 day (most places say 8 just to be safe) "cool down" period (so you can really think long and hard about whether or not you want to shoot that bugger...) after which time you can go back to the dealer and pick up the gun.

In Maryland, it is not a "cool down period, but the time given for MSP to turn around the paperwork back when everything was done by USPS.

If I'm wrong, please let me know! I'm pretty sure that is correct though :D

You did good, just a few corrections as noted above.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    The 30 day wait for the HQL is the cool down period!

These laws are like the states twisted version of handgun foreplay. 30 day wait for the HQL, walk into a dealer the day you get the card, buy a firearm and get another 7/8 day wait before you can take her out and send some lead down range.. it's like the worlds worst tease.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    These laws are like the states twisted version of handgun foreplay. 30 day wait for the HQL, walk into a dealer the day you get the card, buy a firearm and get another 7/8 day wait before you can take her out and send some lead down range.. it's like the worlds worst tease.

Buy more than one at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom