• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bach

Dec 28, 2012
    hollywood
    Son wants a longer range capable bolt gun. He likes the Rem 700, but wants to consider others.

Besides Cabela's, etc., can you recommend a store where we can checkout the choices?

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Carbelas is a good place for a new gun, you can also check out Dicks and Walmart, which has a few knowledgeable folks, but you need to get lucky.

UnitedGunshop in Rockville, usually will have some nice bolt actions available and knowledgeable folks.

If he wants to try one out before buying, TheMachine Gun Nest in Frederick will give you an opportunity to shoot one as rental, but I don't know if they have a 700 to rent. But They have mil surplus rifles, they shoot as well as a Rem 700, will be cheaper, and come with history

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Son wants a longer range capable bolt gun. He likes the Rem 700, but wants to consider others.

Besides Cabela's, etc., can you recommend a store where we can checkout the choices?

You're in Southern Maryland? Take a day trip to Richmond to green top. They'll have the largest selection. You'll pass 4-5 shops on your way if there's time to stop.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    You're in Southern Maryland? Take a day trip to Richmond to green top. They'll have the largest selection. You'll pass 4-5 shops on your way if there's time to stop.

Green top is in short supply of almost everything firearm related. I was just there Sunday looking for a 308 win

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    how far out does he want to shoot? hunting or competition? budget for rifle and glass?

peacemaker is having a prs (precision rifle match) on apr 11. if you're talking about precision shooting at 1k and beyond, there will be a bunch of rifles and glass there and most everyone will let him check out their gear and of course answer any questions. free for observers. on march 7 there they have an open practice day, likewise should be lots of shooters there that will let him check out their gear.

bach

Dec 28, 2012
    hollywood
    He plans to use the rifle to hunt later in life, and he wants to shoot up to 1000 yards.

Thanks for the advice.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Looks like there is a long range rifle in the classifieds right now. Looks like a hell of a rifle that I wish I could afford.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the one prob you're going to face with hunting vs competition uses is that competition rifles generally have longer and heavier/thicker barrels. longer for more velocity for flatter trajectories and less wind effect when reaching way out there. heavier to keep the barrel from overheating as much/quick when firing multiple shots. that makes them heavy and not as fun to carry in the field and up and down mountains.

same deal with scopes. for hunting, where you might have a deer etc come out right in front of you, you don't want a scope that bottoms out at 4-6x as it will be hard to find it in the scope. but most precision rifle matches have targets starting at 100 if not 200 yds so scopes like 5-22x or so are pretty popular.

so if the rifle & scope will pull double duty, you'll have some sacrifices somewhere, not the worst thing in the world, just something to keep in mind.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I'm sure there are a ton of logical choices nowadays. Back when I got into precision shooing the Remmy 700 PSS was the shit. It's a great rifle and can shoot MOA all day long. I'm 100% positive I wouldn't want to hump it around all day in the field. Some of the newer chassis stye rifles are ultra adjustable, lighter, and can accommodate just about any kind of optic you can imagine.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    It partially will depend on your budget and the end use. The Tikka rifles are nice and they make them for hunting and they have some with heavier barrels.

An older Remington 700 is a great rifle that can be expanded into anything. I would recommend an older one or a higher level one as they typically are nicer quality.

The TC Compass is a fantastic gun for hunting but the barrel is a little thin for competition.

I would recommend a 6.5 creedmoor cartridge as you can hunt with it, it bucks the wind better than a 308, has lower recoil, and there are a lot of great factory cartridges.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Here is some advice from Bang Steel - http://www.bangsteel.com/equipment-needs....html

http://www.bangsteel.com/philosophy....html

You do not need anything fancy to shoot 1000 yards.

If you want to compete, then you will need a more long range competition oriented rifle.

There is no one size fits all rifle.

The Rem 700 is good as it is well supported in the aftermarket community. There are other rifles, that are probably better out of the box, but if you want to upgrade/modify, there will be less support.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Bass Pro Shop usually has the R700, Tikka Tac1, Ruger Precision Rifle, Bergara HMR, and Savage 10 ba stealth. People here like to poo poo the BPS but I can’t think of another store that has all these to fondle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom