• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    resurrecting this thread.
    What O/U rentals do they have there?

All the rentals are Beretta brand. Sorry I don't know the model but I can check for you.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Was trying to figure out if the Fudds would stroke out if I brought my VR80 to PG. Sounds like it. Though, thumbhole is not a pistol grip. Hmmm

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Was trying to figure out if the Fudds would stroke out if I brought my VR80 to PG. Sounds like it. Though, thumbhole is not a pistol grip. Hmmm

http://www.pgparks.com/Facilities/Facility/Details/Trap-Skeet-Center-109

Barrels less than 23 inches are not allowed. Guessing it also depends who you are shooting with. My brother shoots with me with his SBE with a pistol grip stock and extended mag tube, but he also breaks a good amount of clays and has been shooting there for 20+ years with me. I have had women and kids shoot a Beretta 391 youth 20 gauge with a 21 inch barrel and nobody has said anything.

There is a time and a place for everything. You would not usually use a $10,000 o/u in 3 gun, and a 3 gun shotgun is not meant to shoot clays. One big problem with your VR80 is that there is no slope in the comb. So, shooting at overhead flier, etc. is not very simple with that gun. Kind of like using a 10 pound hammer on a finishing nail.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I am not unfamiliar with the clay target sports. The VR80 shoots clays surprisingly well. I wouldn't have thought so. It actually swings, and the reddot works nicely. I have it "sighted in" to shoot a little high. I've shot sporting clays with a parallel comb gun, and didn't notice it being a problem. I have target shot guns, so this is just a distraction.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There is a time and a place for everything. You would not usually use a $10,000 o/u in 3 gun, and a 3 gun shotgun is not meant to shoot clays. One big problem with your VR80 is that there is no slope in the comb. So, shooting at overhead flier, etc. is not very simple with that gun. Kind of like using a 10 pound hammer on a finishing nail.

I use my Benelli M2 3-gun shotgun for SC at Bull Run. It has a 24" barrel. But I'm not allowed to use my 20" SxS, since the barrels are too short. I did okay with that coach gun until I was told to put it away. Either way, I can't use my VR80 because of the barrel length. Which prevents me from practicing on clay targets, which we have on occasion in a stage.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    They got tired of the tacticool guys showing up wanting to shoot slugs, buckshot, etc. Some of the guns didn’t even have full stocks, just pistol grips. The rule at my club is 21”.

It’s just the wrong gun for the task at hand. It’s like taking a desert eagle to an IPSC/USPSA/IDPA match.

My youngest son had his best round with my Marine Magnum. 18" cyl bore. Seems like with 10" less barrel and the widest choke possible it would be the ideal beginner gun-besides recoil vs semi's.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I've contemplated making a longer barrel shroud to make it to 23" inches.

If it has "evil features", barrel length less than 23", pistol grip are a no go. I've heard skeleton-ized stock no go also.

VR80 will get turned away. I saw one come out of the truck and being brought up to the club house and I said to my co-worker, "I gotta go watch this reaction" After the owner was told no I asked him if I could check out his cool gun.

Another time last summer, I was making coffee and in walked a guy with friends carrying his Vepr12. He was doing everything correctly as well, out of it case, muzzle up and action open. He got as far as the coffee maker when the behind the counter reaction started. You would have thought he was carrying a nuclear weapon. I walked out with them to the parking lot and asked to check out his cool gun and it was very interesting. The nice guy came back within the month with the barrel extended and was turned away again, smh...

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I'll be working both days this weekend, probably Field 7 with "First Shot" on Saturday and Wobble on Sunday, ask for Chris, come say hi.

A couple of months ago, Field 6 was set-up as a 5-Stand, and for the last month it was set up as a FITASC field, I was at the Daytona 500 last weekend so I don't know if they changed it; it requires a blue ticket, $6 and they provide the shooting menu and a trapper who also scores.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'll be working both days this weekend, probably Field 7 with "First Shot" on Saturday and Wobble on Sunday, ask for Chris, come say hi.

A couple of months ago, Field 6 was set-up as a 5-Stand, and for the last month it was set up as a FITASC field, I was at the Daytona 500 last weekend so I don't know if they changed it; it requires a blue ticket, $6 and they provide the shooting menu and a trapper who also scores.

I still don't understand why the 5 stand station was taken down

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If it has "evil features", barrel length less than 23", pistol grip are a no go. I've heard skeleton-ized stock no go also.

VR80 will get turned away. I saw one come out of the truck and being brought up to the club house and I said to my co-worker, "I gotta go watch this reaction" After the owner was told no I asked him if I could check out his cool gun.

Another time last summer, I was making coffee and in walked a guy with friends carrying his Vepr12. He was doing everything correctly as well, out of it case, muzzle up and action open. He got as far as the coffee maker when the behind the counter reaction started. You would have thought he was carrying a nuclear weapon. I walked out with them to the parking lot and asked to check out his cool gun and it was very interesting. The nice guy came back within the month with the barrel extended and was turned away again, smh...
    The Fudd is strong there. I could sense it the few times I've been.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    My youngest son had his best round with my Marine Magnum. 18" cyl bore. Seems like with 10" less barrel and the widest choke possible it would be the ideal beginner gun-besides recoil vs semi's.

The most open choke possible isn't good for a beginner either. There is a link on a thread here about modified being the best choke for everything under the sun, period, if you can only have one choke. Now, if your son was shooting skeet from station 8 all day long, then yet a super open choke would be fine and dandy. For sporting clays, Skeet choke will not get the job done very well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I am going to have to get Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff, Browning, etc. in touch with you so you can show them how a drop at comb on their skeet, sporting clays, and field guns is the wrong way to go. Show them how a shotgun with zero drop at comb is the right way to go for those styles of guns. Just in case you cannot tell, that is sarcasm.

Probably a decade ago, I read an article as to why trap guns are pretty much zero drop at comb and field/sporting guns have drop at comb. Trap guns have very little, if any, drop at comb so that the recoil is directed mostly into the shooter's shoulder and there is less muzzle jump. This can be done for trap because there is very little up and down movement of the gun. However, for field/sporting applications, where the gun can be pointed down at a rabbit or way up in the air at an overhead target, rising teal, etc., the comb has to have drop so that the cheek can slide up and down the comb as needed to adjust the sight picture on the rib.

Yes, when I first got my Beretta 682 Super Trap, I used it for some skeet and for dove hunting. Yes, I could break clays and kill birds with it, but it took a lot more mental acuity/gymnastics verses using a 686 Onyx, 682 Gold E Skeet, 391 Teknys, or Benelli SBE later on.

I can also put a finishing nail in with a sledge hammer and drive a golf ball with a sledge hammer, even a 2x4. I can get the job done. Just not as quickly or proficiently as somebody with a 1 pound hammer or a golf club.

I will say that I am debating the VR80 versus my M4 for home defense now. At $600, it is a doable option. M4 is an SBS though and I am not adding anymore NFA items to the stable. Going to be a long debate with myself.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

It can be a bit fuddly there. I was asked to not return with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on an 870. That is a shame because with the adjustable stock it fit me perfect. I changed the stock to the more traditional Knoxx recoil reducing stock and there has not been a problem since.

Otherwise it is a fantastically well run facility. I had the kick off to my bachelor party there. Highly recommended place to shoot.

The rentals are 686 Silver Pigeon O/U or A400 semi auto IIRC.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Normally, the Fuddiness would make me not go back, but where else you going to go shoot some clays? Most skeet/trap/etc. ranges will be just the same.

I don't think the VR80s are reliable enough for home defense. Mine isn't. Fun guns, but they're range toys. If you read between the lines on reviews and such with that whole shoot some heavy rounds for break-in thing,...reminds me of Kimber.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Fudd Schmudd, I don't want every jackwagon who walks in off the street sweeping the line with a short barreled gun. It takes a LOT of muzzle discipline to keep a 20" barrel pointed at the ground. If that's what a person brings to shoot clay pigeons you can surmise that they don't shoot much and therefore don't have good safe gun handling habits. The best thing for everyone is to leave them at home.
    One of the local clubs had a riot gun trap shoot at AGC a few years ago. That was a lot of fun and people were breaking out all their gangster guns.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I don't agree with them being a little FUDD, Mr. M is a retired PG Officer and probably one of the most knowledgeable shootist in the area.

My $.02

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Normally, the Fuddiness would make me not go back, but where else you going to go shoot some clays? Most skeet/trap/etc. ranges will be just the same.

I don't think the VR80s are reliable enough for home defense. Mine isn't. Fun guns, but they're range toys. If you read between the lines on reviews and such with that whole shoot some heavy rounds for break-in thing,...reminds me of Kimber.

Alright, that is good to know. Was debating the reliability of a stacked magazine with shotgun shells. Seems that the stacked mag is the Achilles heal of most mag fed shotguns. So, going to stick with the M4 then.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Fudd Schmudd, I don't want every jackwagon who walks in off the street sweeping the line with a short barreled gun. It takes a LOT of muzzle discipline to keep a 20" barrel pointed at the ground. If that's what a person brings to shoot clay pigeons you can surmise that they don't shoot much and therefore don't have good safe gun handling habits. The best thing for everyone is to leave them at home.
    One of the local clubs had a riot gun trap shoot at AGC a few years ago. That was a lot of fun and people were breaking out all their gangster guns.
    I believe they'll yell at you for pointing a shotgun at the ground.

I get it. Those rules exclude 99% of the jack-wagons. Being in PG County not far from DC/Anacostia/etc., it's probably based on experience. They're still Fudds though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom