• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I started off decades ago loading 45ACP on a single stage Pacific press using Unique. Then, I switched to Bullseye... both of these were pretty dirty powders in my experience, but the down range results out of my Colt Gold Cup were impressive. When I went to a progressive press (Dillon RL550B) I switched to WW231 because it metered better. I also experimented with 700X. Accuracy for these powders was comparable to Unique and Bullseye and they shot much cleaner. I'm getting set up for 9mm in the very near future and will likely stay with WW231 since there's a bunch of load data for both 9mm and 45ACP.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I started off decades ago loading 45ACP on a single stage Pacific press using Unique. Then, I switched to Bullseye... both of these were pretty dirty powders in my experience, but the down range results out of my Colt Gold Cup were impressive. When I went to a progressive press (Dillon RL550B) I switched to WW231 because it metered better. I also experimented with 700X. Accuracy for these powders was comparable to Unique and Bullseye and they shot much cleaner. I'm getting set up for 9mm in the very near future and will likely stay with WW231 since there's a bunch of load data for both 9mm and 45ACP.

I got some CFE Pistol because there was more load data for 147gr than there is for bullseye.

But at this point I’ve got so much bullseye I’ll be reloading with it for years (I picked up a pound. Then scored two more for super cheap a few months ago).

By my math looking at my typical pistol loads I get somewhere between 6,000-10,000+ Rounds out of 3# Bullseye and 1# CFE Pistol depending on what I am loading (32acp, MAK, 38spc, 9mm or .45acp)

I plan to crank out rounds soon now that I’ve worked out some loads that work well in all my calibers (testing my 32acp load tomorrow. Finally). But when it comes down to it, I am not loading several thousand rounds a year on my turret press. I’ll be lucky if I average 200 or so a month. That’s like 3-4 years of loading. And I don’t have the spare brass to load all that...

(Or bullets)

(Or the time to make that much empty brass).

But also nice to know I’ve got plenty of components to load pistol calibers for a long time.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Switched from HS6 and HP38 to CFE pistol and love it. It's clean, versatile, meters well, accurate and easy to find. It's crazy versatile, from mild 380 up to mid range 44 mag, Ideal in most autoloader calibers, can load from light minimum PF loads in 9mm up to near top velocities for 10mm. I still use bullseye/trailboss for light and cowboy loads, and Powerpistol/H110 for full power magnum loads, but for 90% of everything inbetween CFE pistol has worked fine.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I got some CFE Pistol because there was more load data for 147gr than there is for bullseye.

But at this point I’ve got so much bullseye I’ll be reloading with it for years (I picked up a pound. Then scored two more for super cheap a few months ago).

By my math looking at my typical pistol loads I get somewhere between 6,000-10,000+ Rounds out of 3# Bullseye and 1# CFE Pistol depending on what I am loading (32acp, MAK, 38spc, 9mm or .45acp)

I plan to crank out rounds soon now that I’ve worked out some loads that work well in all my calibers (testing my 32acp load tomorrow. Finally). But when it comes down to it, I am not loading several thousand rounds a year on my turret press. I’ll be lucky if I average 200 or so a month. That’s like 3-4 years of loading. And I don’t have the spare brass to load all that...

(Or bullets)

(Or the time to make that much empty brass).

But also nice to know I’ve got plenty of components to load pistol calibers for a long time.

You're shooting a heavier bullet than me, and likely subsonic. My factory loads are usually 115 gr or 124 gr Ball or JHP's whereas my reloads (at least for 9mm) are going to be practice rounds using 115gr. LRN.

I ballpark the number of rounds I can get out of a pound of powder (WW231) at ~1400... slightly more (1550) for 9mm since I'll be throwing ~4.3-4.7 gr each... slightly less for 45ACP, but it depends upon what bullet I'm reloading: 200 gr JHP, 200 gr LRN, or 230 gr Ball.

Haha... time! and work!! they really get in the way of me shooting more! I just did inventory on reloading components and it looks like I have enough primers/powder/bullets for just 9mm to crank out ~1000 rounds once I get all set up... I'm just waiting on my caliber conversion kit from Dillon.

LittleBill

Mar 14, 2020
    N340 is superb with the 124gr slugs I like. You're right, expensive but V powders are about the cleanest on the market right now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You're shooting a heavier bullet than me, and likely subsonic. My factory loads are usually 115 gr or 124 gr Ball or JHP's whereas my reloads (at least for 9mm) are going to be practice rounds using 115gr. LRN.

I ballpark the number of rounds I can get out of a pound of powder (WW231) at ~1400... slightly more (1550) for 9mm since I'll be throwing ~4.3-4.7 gr each... slightly less for 45ACP, but it depends upon what bullet I'm reloading: 200 gr JHP, 200 gr LRN, or 230 gr Ball.

Haha... time! and work!! they really get in the way of me shooting more! I just did inventory on reloading components and it looks like I have enough primers/powder/bullets for just 9mm to crank out ~1000 rounds once I get all set up... I'm just waiting on my caliber conversion kit from Dillon.

Oh, I’ve only got like 250 147gr XTPs to load up. Everything else is 71gr 32acp, 93gr MAK, 115gr 9mm and 230gr 45.

I’d have to double check my loads, but I think I am running 2.8gr for 32acp, 3.1 or 3.2 for MAK, 3.8 for 9mm 115gr and 4.3 for 230gr 45acp. 3.4gr 38spc.

That’s about 1600 rounds of .45acp, 1800 of 9mm, 2100 of MAK, 2500 of 32acp. Mix and match a bit with 3lbs of Bullseye and a pound of CFE pistol (less probably about 1000gr of bullseye I’ve used for reloading so far). Oh, 1900 or so 38spc.

Haven’t worked out and CFE pistol loads yet. Probably a hair more. So I guess even for 32acp I couldn’t manage 10k. But probably with the mix I expect to reload 6k or so out of the 4lbs.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've had good luck with Power Pistol (5.6 gr) with Berry's 124 gr flat point out of my Glocks. Clocks in at around 1122 fps out of G-17 over my Chrono. Good accuracy.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    147 gr plated over 3.2 Bullseye.

Been shooting Steel with it for years. Light recoil, accurate, and cycles well in my Glock 34. Clocks at 970 FPS in my gun. Get about 2000 per rounds Per pound. BE Can get dirty, but not any worse than others and definitely cleaner with this Light load.

Been thru 238, HP38, HS6, and tight group years ago for the 9mm but this ended up Being the most economical and metered the best in my setup. Difference in clean/dirty was negligible in my opinion.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    1.14 with Xtreme And Berries 147 RN plated. I’ll recheck my books tonight.

It’s on the longer side, but functions perfectly in my Glock 34 with stock springs.

Hoons

May 15, 2019

It’s on the longer side, but functions perfectly in my Glock 34 with stock springs.

Thanks, I have 250 rounds of Berry's RN to try out

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Gosh I wish. Granted JHP, but I’ve gotta seat my 147gr XTP to 1.095” to keep from ramming them in to the rifling in my G17 Swenson barrel. But runs sweet with CFE Pistol. Been meaning to try Bullseye. Probably will at some point (4.3gr of CFE Pistol runs it to 980FPS, going to load a bunch at 4.2).

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I use Unique for my 9mm, 45acp, and 38/357. May not be the best for each cartridge but it simplifies my logistics by working good enough across all three cartridges.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I started reloading during the first Obama election when powder was difficult to find. Tried 800X in 9mm and never found a load that would reliably cycle the weapon. It was spitting raw powder out the barrel. Switched to unique and never looked back. I don't track how clean a powder is because i clean my fir arms after every trip to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom