• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I have owned both Browning and Beretta in 12 ga. o/u sporting models. Browning turned out to be the best fit for me. Browning seems to be the fav among the "elderly" group I shoot with, and those guys have been shooting for 50 years and are still breaking clays in thier late eighties. Thier guns are mostly plain jane in appearance, but they seem to be pretty trouble free. There was one in the Classified that seemed to be the right price for you.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Definitely a Beretta or Browning. However, they have different fits. For me a Beretta was a good off the shelf fit. For one of my buds, it was a Browning. Need to try before buy.
    This.

He will like one, and love the other. Only he can figure out which one it will be!!

I taught Basic Shotgun at PG. I shot a lot of Berrettas in classes. I own a lot of Brownings.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I have a browning 725 that I love but that is out of the budget.

I will say I have personally been eyeing up the Used browning O/U in the classifieds recently, that may be a perfect fit.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I don't know what you could buy for $1000 that would be better outside of getting lucky (regarding the Browning in the classifieds). SKBs are good guns and durable enough for competition use. I believe both are Japanese made guns.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Update: I did what everyone suggested. A browning Citori Sporting clays was bought off the classifieds at the very beginning of Covid. I took it to a gunsmith had it professionally cleaned and had the barrels honed.

Gave it to him over the weekend and he loved it. He was expecting a Stoeger or a Mossberg, so when I said a browning he nearly crapped himself. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. He loved it and was really happy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I am trying to buy my dad an O/U for his 60th birthday. I want to get him the best O/U for my budget ($1000).
    I’m thinking of:
    Winchester 101
    Used Browning Cynergy
    Used Beretta 686

I haven’t found any of the used guns in my price range but I may find luck. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank You!

Update: I did what everyone suggested. A browning Citori Sporting clays was bought off the classifieds at the very beginning of Covid. I took it to a gunsmith had it professionally cleaned and had the barrels honed.

Gave it to him over the weekend and he loved it. He was expecting a Stoeger or a Mossberg, so when I said a browning he nearly crapped himself. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. He loved it and was really happy.

You done good. I bought a Browning Cynergy last year and I LOVE it!

I just turned 59 so I'm going to show this thread to my kids and see what they come up with for next August! LOL! I'm sure you could have gotten him a single shot H&R and he would have loved it!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

It will serve him well. My Browning Special Sporting Clays has been my go to gun for all clay games since 1993. Other than the lite pipes in the front bead breaking, never had an issue with it. BTW - replacement lite pipes are available on line direct from Hi-Viz very cheaply.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Thank you for the hint!
    You're welcome!!

FYI - they come in three different diameters, and three different colors: Fluorescent Green, Fluorescent Orange, and Solid White. The solid white will give him a "standard" bead if he doesn't like the lite pipes. They all fit in the front bead holder.

I prefer the smallest diameter fluorescent green. The majority of the targets I shoot are solid orange or orange with black rim and I find the orange pipes and targets tend to blend together. Although the "meat" shoots I attend throw a green bird for the "meat" target, and that kinda messes with me!!!

It's an optical illusion, but if you focus on the target, the green dot will magically appear out with the target. Some people just cant seem to get the hang of it and that's where the solid white pipe comes into play.

FYI - a meat shoot is a regular round of trap. There are several green targets mixed in the stacks of targets. The high gun for the round and the first green target broken win small packages of meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom