• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How did you start reloading?

• Self taught with printed materials (books, magazines)

Votes: 80 61.5%
    • Self taught with videos

Votes: 14 10.8%
    • Family member taught (father, uncle, mother, etc)

Votes: 14 10.8%
    • Mentor taught (other than family member)

Votes: 16 12.3%
    • Other (please post what method)

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How did you get started?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Oh, I never said, I am self taught. Books and magazines in the pre-computer days.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I started with the Lee Loader for 223. I still have it.

Attachments

• Leeloader.jpg
      Leeloader.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 340

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am self taught. There was a gun writer years ago named Dean Grennell, who at the time had a writing style that I enjoyed reading. When I saw his name on the second edition of The ABC's of Reloading on a table in a shop, I bought the book. Then a Speer manual and more books. I was hooked and I've enjoyed reloading ever since.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I think Uncle Duke and I are Brothers from a Different Mother or Parallel Universes ! I also have a DG article or two around here someplace. Mine is about the Same Story. My Herter's Turret Press was Mounted on and Old Metal Type Writer Table that had Casters on it. I had the Scale, also a Herter's Oil Bath Dampen on a shelf above because it was so sensitive to Vibrations . Pay attention to Details and SAFETY RULES !

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I think Uncle Duke and I are Brothers from a Different Mother or Parallel Universes ! I also have a DG article or two around here someplace. Mine is about the Same Story. My Herter's Turret Press was Mounted on and Old Metal Type Writer Table that had Casters on it. I had the Scale, also a Herter's Oil Bath Dampen on a shelf above because it was so sensitive to Vibrations . Pay attention to Details and SAFETY RULES !

Sir, if you can, please consider getting us a picture of your Herter's equipment!

And yeah, I can picture that metal typewriter table! Thinking you may have just sent a young buck or two scrambling to the almighty Google gods to see what a typewriter looks like!

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at the Google thought! Think I'll go with laugh!

Grins Bootknife!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Started with reading, two Lee Loaders (the use a hammer type, 50 rounds a hour!). Speer and Hornady were my first manuals. Pamphlets from Hercules, Hohgdon and Winchester graced my bench as well. I remember reading Bob Milek, PO Ackley, Mike Venturino, John Taffin and others whose names evade me right now.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    UD it is all Antique Stuff Now ! I still use the Herter's Drum style Powder Measure Set up for .45 ACP as it was a Pain to reset Diff/Powders/Charges etc I have several other PM that are Only Old and they are easier to Reset. I have a New (15) Powder scale as well, but still throw the 20th Pan in the Oil Dampened Herter's Scale for QC. the 10th pan of powder lands on the Modern Scale as it Settles Faster than that Antique Herter's Scale! I know what You mean With the L/C thing. I generally take 2-3 Fingers of Evan Williams "1783" Bourbon over Ice X2 when I get like that. But Never do the EW when Loading or Shooting!

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Father started me (age 5~8) with sorting range brass, expanded my job to include de-priming, and eventually promoted me to charging and seating.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Self taught in the early 80's. Took the NRA instructors course in 2010 to teach and certify someone who helped me after ICU (cutting my lawn a big deal). I aced the course. He got a certificate, and is happily producing rounds. It was one on one 8 hours just for rifle.

Last edited:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    A hands on demonstration by Drmsparks and Lambo, lots of reading manuals and forums, and few videos.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    started in the 80's with a Lee Turret press and a set of Lyman & Speer manuals. Quickly realized that I like reloading and hate Lee presses.
    Have played with pretty much everything from a 310 tong tool to PW.
    Currently on the bench is a Dillon 550, an old Lyman All American Turret, and a bunch of MEC reloaders for 10 12 & 16 gauge.
    Started casting when I bought a Winchester 1895 in 405, back then you couldn't buy bullets or get data so I now have Lyman manuals back to #30 in 1931 and a complete set of Speers including the 2 Wildcat manuals, knowledge is power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom