VA closes schools for the rest of the year.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    That seems crazy to commit that long with no existing emergency plan in place.

I think they were behind us in closing schools, they evidently have had multiple teachers and administrators test positive for the virus. Heck, i dont think VA has closed restaurants yet......

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's going to be the same here, wait for it.

Meanwhile my school and my wife's school (Good Counsel and Saint Andrew's Episcopal) have been doing online distance learning for over a week now with great results. GC has actually had parents ask if they can transfer in for the 4th quarter so their kids will actually get an education while this is going on.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think they were behind us in closing schools, they evidently have had multiple teachers and administrators test positive for the virus. Heck, i dont think VA has closed restaurants yet......

I know St. Patrick's day was still going on a bars in Alexandria last week.

Yep, I think it's the fact that multiple teachers and admins in VA have tested positive while the kids were still in school has ol' Blackface Northam scrambling.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

VA restaurants are takeout/drive thru/delivery only.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Meanwhile my school and my wife's school (Good Counsel and Saint Andrew's Episcopal) have been doing online distance learning for over a week now with great results. GC has actually had parents ask if they can transfer in for the 4th quarter so their kids will actually get an education while this is going on.

i think it's clear that is easier to be more nimble and responsive with dramatically fewer students and to have families that have already demonstrated their commitment to educational outcomes.

I think we both recognize that it's not a fair comparison of small private schools to enormously much larger public school systems.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Lord no. I don't know if I can have my wife and both kids here that much.

It's going to happen in all likelihood. Hogan made it clear that they are acting regionally in their thinking on their responses at this point.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Exactly.

Why Teachers Unions despise Charter Schools. They'd be left with the daycare childminder job...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Must have just been recently, a guy i know on FB was just posting pictures of dining out at restaurants this weekend

They made it official today. Although where I am they all shut their dining rooms last week when the state put out the no more than 10 people inside at a time rule.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    It's going to happen in all likelihood. Hogan made it clear that they are acting regionally in their thinking on their responses at this point.

Now what will all the families with two working parents do? Sounds like a major cluster in the making.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Now what will all the families with two working parents do? Sounds like a major cluster in the making.

Maybe they can start making three meals a day, at home, instead of taking them to the schools multiple times for multiple meals? We use to play games, work on puzzles or actually work putting together models. Seems kids nowadays don’t have that kind of patience. More of instant gratification. Lord help us if their internet goes down...no more texting.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I have no idea, but if we are to accept at all the basic premise that this bug is dangerous and highly contagious, it's clear that sending kids and adults to school in close proximity to one another is a recipe for disaster.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    That seems crazy to commit that long with no existing emergency plan in place.

They started out saying 2 weeks. Not because they thought that school would be open in 2 weeks, but because people needed to be eased into it.

Look how nutty people got with toilet paper when they saw schools closed for 2 weeks. Imagine if you gave a stay home, business closed and schools closed for 3 months directive from day 1.

even if you the leader know that is what you are going to do, you don't tell anyone.

Notice the "lockdown" comes in baby steps.

It's like giving a kid a bad tasting medicine. Maybe some can take it all at once, but some can only swallow a little at a time.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    They started out saying 2 weeks. Not because they thought that school would be open in 2 weeks, but because people needed to be eased into it.

Look how nutty people got with toilet paper when they saw schools closed for 2 weeks. Imagine if you gave a stay home, business closed and schools closed for 3 months directive from day 1.

even if you the leader know that is what you are going to do, you don't tell anyone.

Notice the "lockdown" comes in baby steps.

It's like giving a kid a bad tasting medicine. Maybe some can take it all at once, but some can only swallow a little at a time.

I don't think it's a sinister as that. They used the two weeks as a way to buy time to find out more and assess.

At the end of the day, even in these large school systems, 90% of these decisions are being made by about 4 people who then need to each consult with probably 10-12 people on a decision like this to determine the effects of various aspects of the machine of the system.

The two weeks also allowed families to make arrangements for a determined time rather than on a day to day basis. That is hard enough in a snow storm, much less in a fluid and developing emergency like this.

They are doing the best they can. There's no playbook for this, seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom