• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Once upon a time, I worked part time with a ANG airman from the 175th and heard some interesting antidotes from him.

Word on the street is some pilot hit some pine trees with his a-10. Did you ever hear that from your time in?

Nope. Never heard that story. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I apologize if I missed this in here, CB is garbage, go GMRS. License is cheap. Lasts 10 years. Covers your whole family. It’s digital rather than analog. Higher legal transmit power. Fewer users which can be a perk. Smaller antennas because of the higher frequency.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been listening to my scanner quite a bit lately. I scan MoCo upcounty, and Maryland State Police out of Rockville barracks.

Generally, police radio traffic sounds like it is down by over 80%. Traffic stops are almost nonexistent. Most calls are for person-on-person crimes, domestic violence and such. Little property crime. Eerily quiet.

Are criminals hunkering down, or is enforcement down?

Crime in general is down. Harder to rob homes when you know most homeowners are home. Cars aren’t parked at malls and office parks and stuff to be broken in to. Drug dealers can’t just go to the corner to sell their wares. Etc.

It’ll likely start going up as more get desperate as the economic situation gets worse.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I apologize if I missed this in here, CB is garbage, go GMRS. License is cheap. Lasts 10 years. Covers your whole family. It’s digital rather than analog. Higher legal transmit power. Fewer users which can be a perk. Smaller antennas because of the higher frequency.

Isn’t part of the appeal of CB the knowledge that certain other drivers on the road will be reachable on common, protocol-familiar channels? I still see newly delivered haulers equipped with CBs.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Isn’t part of the appeal of CB the knowledge that certain other drivers on the road will be reachable on common, protocol-familiar channels? I still see newly delivered haulers equipped with CBs.

Between sunspots and the rise of unlimited data/whatsapp groups and private SSB there's not much out there on the CB these days. I-81 and points south still have their ears on, but coastal not so much. Cali supposedly runs on Ch-17 on the 5, most of the South is on Ch-19.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    CB is not by any means, a primary communication choice while on the road. It's backup and nostalgic. It still works. :cool:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

More users can be a benefit in SHTF.

The point is, different comms for different uses. For family, yes, GMRS is good.

For reaching out a bit, CB has a lot of users.

For reaching out further, ham radio wins.

No one answer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Ummm, sorry but no, GMRS is NOT digital, nor are there any digital modes permitted on the GMRS (or FRS for that matter) frequencies.

As for the smaller antenna because of the higher frequency, that can, and is an issue for distance, since CB is essentially HF, even with 4 watts on Am or 12 watts on SSB, it is possible to talk across the country with the right antenna.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    really? I knew that the FCC now allows GPS and short text messaging, but not sure that you can use digital audio modes like DMR/DSTAR/NXDN/P25 on the GMRS frequencies now.

You can't.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Ummm, sorry but no, GMRS is NOT digital, nor are there any digital modes permitted on the GMRS (or FRS for that matter) frequencies.

As for the smaller antenna because of the higher frequency, that can, and is an issue for distance, since CB is essentially HF, even with 4 watts on Am or 12 watts on SSB, it is possible to talk across the country with the right antenna.

CB Radio is on 11 meters (~27MHz), which is HF (3MHz-30MHz). (Studying for my Technician & General :thumbsup:) It's just that 11 meters is not one of the Amateur Radio HF bands.

I have a GMRS license and radios. I'd rather have a CB, like I did in the old days. The only benefit from already having a GMRS license is this wonderful thing called an FRN, which I'll soon be using to get my Amateur Radio license!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    More users can be a benefit in SHTF.

The point is, different comms for different uses. For family, yes, GMRS is good.

For reaching out a bit, CB has a lot of users.

For reaching out further, ham radio wins.

No one answer.

What a perfect example of the concept that there is on "one-size-fits-all" solution to some problems.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    CB Radio is on 11 meters (~27MHz), which is HF (3MHz-30MHz). (Studying for my Technician & General :thumbsup:) It's just that 11 meters is not one of the Amateur Radio HF bands.

I have a GMRS license and radios. I'd rather have a CB, like I did in the old days. The only benefit from already having a GMRS license is this wonderful thing called an FRN, which I'll soon be using to get my Amateur Radio license!

I'm very much aware of what it is and isn't, amateur licensed for 30+ years (started as Novice, been an Extra for 10+ years).

While you are studying for your tech, check out QRP operations and you will understand my comment above a little more. QRP is really a cool way to operate, especially in a SHTF world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom