• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I have a 1996 GT Backwoods with a 20" frame that I just replaced the tubes and tires on. Everything else works fine.
    I believe the fork tube is 1 1/8". Tires are 26". I'd like to add a front suspension fork but I don't really know where to start.

I know I can get a whole new entry level bike (with a front shock) for under $500, but I just don't want to throw the one I've got in the trash.

Any help from the bike gurus is greatly appreciated.

Andy

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Start looking at new front forks. Fox is the big one.

Why stuck on this bike? What are you looking to get out of the suspension?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, IDK about "throw the one I've got in the trash" - you will for sure get some $$$ for it, probably $100-150 if i had to guess.

ETA: i looked up the specs on this. Decent frame. If the components and frame are in good condition, I would just fixed what needs to be fixed. A new bike will not be substantially better IMO. You could certainly upgrade the components as needed depending how much wear they have, for the same $$ you would spend on a new bike. My only complaint would be that its not a 29er. If you did decide to trade up, for sure get 29" wheels.

As for forks... have not looked a new one for many years so i dont know whats recent.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    The Bike Doctor in Waldorf said I'm looking at $450-500 for a new suspension fork and labor.

Not so much stuck on the bike, as I don't like to just trash things that are working.
    I'm looking to get a little more comfortable ride on gravel/dirt roads, and some light trail riding with the wifey.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you are looking for more comfort, maybe try letting some air out and riding a little softer - before shelling out $500.

They really want that much for a fork and labor? Gebuz, I do most of my work on my bike myself, i am in the wrong line of work, maybe.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I strongly recommend looking at a basic air suspension fork. Rockshox or Fox are pretty much the gold standard. Can get a reasonably cheap fork from them that will do the trick.

That said, a very high end suspension system can cost you a used car.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    If you are looking for more comfort, maybe try letting some air out and riding a little softer - before shelling out $500.

They really want that much for a fork and labor? Gebuz, I do most of my work on my bike myself, i am in the wrong line of work, maybe.

try replacing the fork yourself and see how much it costs.

replacing a fork on a bike like that is barely worth it. you can probably get a manitou or rockshox take off for a couple hundred bucks and swap it over.

you will need a new star nut that you pound into the forks tube. this is where the cap on top of the stem screws into and keeps appropriate tension on the headset while assembling. vital. there is also a specialized tool for
    this.

https://www.nashbar.com/fsa-steel-star-nuts-black-11-8-160-2015/p344166

you will also need to carefully remove the ring around the bottom of your fork that is the lower race for the bearing. i believe its called a crown race. vital. there is also a specialized tool for this.

this needs to be pounded on the new fork with an appropriately sized pipe that is soft enough it wont damage the ring. there is also a specialized tool for this.

Once you get the lower race transferred over, you can slide the fork in and put on the handlebars. this will allow you to mark the tube on the fork before you cut it down to size. hacksaw works fine just don't make it too crooked.

there are spacers used below (and sometimes above) the stem to account for variations in height preference or equipment limitations.

once this is all set up you can go about transferring your brakes. make sure the new fork has v-brake post mounts. now would be a good time to put new brake pads on, or at least take some sandpaper to the existing ones and refresh the braking surface.

something like this should work

https://www.nashbar.com/rockshox-re...black-26-9mm-qr-100mm-00.4019.643.001/p633779

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville

:lol: i would be willing to bet the work you do on your bike is worth what you pay

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I had a similar triple triangle frame GT back in the 90s. So many good memories. The issue you are going to hit is frame geometry. I ran into this issue when upgrading to a suspension fork on a trek 900 something back in the 90s. The head tube was not built for a suspension so you are going to be messing with your steering angle. Maybe minor maybe major, really depends on your biking style, this is something to look into.

I personally think you are wasting good money trying to do a major upgrade like that. The mechanical parts on my old bikes are all shot, especially the shifters and cables, there is a good chance you are going to end up with a money pit. Sell it on craigslist. A few years ago I bought a trek xcaliber 29er and wow is it nice. Disk brakes are very common place now days and they alone are reason enough to upgrade. The only upgrade that I did was a $100 Chinese dropper seat.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, IDK about "throw the one I've got in the trash" - you will for sure get some $$$ for it, probably $100-150 if i had to guess.

*****Doubtful you will get anywhere near $100-$150 for a non-suspension fork from 1996. I believe the OP is trying to add a suspension fork to a now Non-Suspension mountain bike, if I am reading the post correctly. A steel or aluminum 26" fork from 1996 is basically landfill material.

The two big brands of suspension forks are Rock Shox, and Fox - there are others like Manitou and Marzocchi, but they are not as popular anymore. Several great websites that sell suspension forks are below.

https://www.jensonusa.com/

https://www.probikesupply.com/

https://www.excelsports.com/

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/

https://www.racycles.com/

*****Most adults now ride 27.5 or 29" wheeled mountain bikes as they roll better and are generally a better fit for someone over 5 foot 5" or so.

Below is a picture of my hardtail, before I put the pedals on it. It's made by a company called Open. It has 27.5" wheels, and a Fox Factory SC fork, with lockout so you don't pogo up and down when climbing hills out of the saddle or sprinting, etc.. I believe both Fox and Rock Shox still make some 26" sized forks, but it's just not that popular of a wheel size anymore so options are definitely limited in that size.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Open Hardtail.jpg
      Open Hardtail.jpg
      65.7 KB · Views: 238

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I had a similar triple triangle frame GT back in the 90s. So many good memories. The issue you are going to hit is frame geometry. I ran into this issue when upgrading to a suspension fork on a trek 900 something back in the 90s. The head tube was not built for a suspension so you are going to be messing with your steering angle. Maybe minor maybe major, really depends on your biking style, this is something to look into.

I personally think you are wasting good money trying to do a major upgrade like that. The mechanical parts on my old bikes are all shot, especially the shifters and cables, there is a good chance you are going to end up with a money pit. Sell it on craigslist. A few years ago I bought a trek xcaliber 29er and wow is it nice. Disk brakes are very common place now days and they alone are reason enough to upgrade. The only upgrade that I did was a $100 Chinese dropper seat.

Good point regarding frame geometry. theoretically you could get a suspension fork with the same rake as the stock rigid fork, but that would require measuring or at least eyeballing it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    *****Doubtful you will get anywhere near $100-$150 for a non-suspension fork from 1996.

People buying used $100 bikes could not care less fancy schmany forks. They are buying it for their kid to ride so they dont shell out $600 for a new Trek.

Anyway, the point is, its not trash. Even if you donate it to charity and get a tax deduction... its defitely not worthless trash.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    My bikes have been all over the world. Have yours?

i have worked on bikes that have been to all corners of the world for recreational and competitive purposes.

my comment was based on the fact that if you have intimate knowledge of bicycle repair you would not likely scoff at a 400-500 price for replacing a suspension fork on a mountain bike.

but hey, why pass up the opportunity to needlessly shit on a local small business

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    People buying used $100 bikes could not care less fancy schmany forks. They are buying it for their kid to ride so they dont shell out $600 for a new Trek.

Anyway, the point is, its not trash. Even if you donate it to charity and get a tax deduction... its defitely not worthless trash.

you are right, i think vo2max thought you meant just the fork.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    So what I'm getting here is that it's really not worth the upgrade. I get that i guess, I just wasn't trying to take the bike to the dump.

I guess I'll just ride it for a while and see if I really need the suspension.

thanks for all the replies.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    i have worked on bikes that have been to all corners of the world for recreational and competitive purposes.

my comment was based on the fact that if you have intimate knowledge of bicycle repair you would not likely scoff at a 400-500 price for replacing a suspension fork on a mountain bike.

but hey, why pass up the opportunity to needlessly shit on a local small business

I am not shitting on (your???) small business. I am shitting on MD labor and business costs. $500 for a new fork says "we really just want you to buy a new bike made in China."

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I am not shitting on (your???) small business. I am shitting on MD labor and business costs. $500 for a new fork says "we really just want you to buy a new bike made in China."

i hear ya. not in the biz anymore.

how much would you have to charge for 275-300 (retail) worth of parts and an hour of labor plus overhead and profit?

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    So what I'm getting here is that it's really not worth the upgrade. I get that i guess, I just wasn't trying to take the bike to the dump.

I guess I'll just ride it for a while and see if I really need the suspension.

thanks for all the replies.

if you want a little project, you can buy a 600 dollar mtn bike online and put it together yourself. scratch the itch for a project and get a new bike at the same time.

also, can swap tires on your current mtn bike and make it more of a paved trail bike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom