• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My Wife received her HQL, now she is in the market for a small SA pistol.
    Were would you recommend she go where she can shoot multiple pistols prior to purchasing?
    Southern MD preferred,, but anywhere in MD would work

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Try the indoor shooting ranges. Lots of them have rental guns. Continental and Bel Air Gun Range have rentals, although neither is anywhere near you.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Where in SOMD? The indoor ranges in the area that offer rentals are Flat Broke, MSAR and Fred's.

MSAR has the best selection, but they get very busy so you have to go right when they open.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I would want to pay an instructor to fit and give her instruction for at least an hour.
    So far Freds as all I know that has firearms, range, and instructor. , While I have bought long guns from Freds in the past,, And I have never met their instructors, I am wanting an instructor who is "personable",,

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I suggest starting at 22 and moving up. My wife started with a tryout... She stopped at 38acp. She did not like 9mm recoil. I felt no need to press it.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    She shot a 9mm compact Glock in the HQL course and liked it.
    She has shot the GP100 and Sp101 in 38 and 357,, just did not like the revolver frame and feel.
    Shes 6' and 150# and packs a mean backhand.

I suggest starting at 22 and moving up. My wife started with a tryout... She stopped at 38acp. She did not like 9mm recoil. I felt no need to press it.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick has a whole big selection of rental pistols to try

+1 for TMGN in Frederick but call first-- I was in Friday to do the paperwork for the MD 7 day shuffle on a pistol that had just arrived and the rental stocks were surprisingly low. I don't know if they were doing maintenance on them or what but there was only about 1/2 the stock of pistol rentals in the cases.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    +1 for TMGN in Frederick but call first-- I was in Friday to do the paperwork for the MD 7 day shuffle on a pistol that had just arrived and the rental stocks were surprisingly low. I don't know if they were doing maintenance on them or what but there was only about 1/2 the stock of pistol rentals in the cases.

All 9mm aren’t out until the get 9mm ammo back in stock

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    She shot a 9mm compact Glock in the HQL course and liked it.
    She has shot the GP100 and Sp101 in 38 and 357,, just did not like the revolver frame and feel.
    Shes 6' and 150# and packs a mean backhand.

Your wife is 6 feet tall! I’m 6’4, it’s very rare I see a woman that tall.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    My Wife received her HQL, now she is in the market for a small SA pistol.
    Were would you recommend she go where she can shoot multiple pistols prior to purchasing?
    Southern MD preferred,, but anywhere in MD would work

If you don’t mind driving down to Hollywood MD, mary & I would let your wife try out a few guns and give her a few instructions on how to shoot. There’s no charge for trying them out. Either bring your own ammo or buy some from us. I’m sure we can find her something that will work for her.
    You can PM me or mary and we can coordinate a date & time.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    PMing,, thanks for the offer.

If you don’t mind driving down to Hollywood MD, mary & I would let your wife try out a few guns and give her a few instructions on how to shoot. There’s no charge for trying them out. Either bring your own ammo or buy some from us. I’m sure we can find her something that will work for her.
    You can PM me or mary and we can coordinate a date & time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    MSAR has a wide selection of rental guns . BUT they charge the rental by the gun . So if you compare several guns in one session , it adds up . The last I knew , Freds charges flat rental fee , and you can swap out while you're there w/o further charge .

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The main issue at many indoor ranges now is the availability of ammo. Most have none on the shelves and require you use their ammo in rental guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom