• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    In addition to seconding the link Huckleberry posted, there is one absolute rule of safes:

Always buy one twice as big as you think you'll need. Always.

I'm sure that's mentioned many more times in this thread. It's so true and not always for more guns. I put in cameras, important papers, some old watches and valuable coins and boom...all of a sudden 1/4 of my safe was gone to non-gun stuff.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I'm sure that's mentioned many more times in this thread. It's so true and not always for more guns. I put in cameras, important papers, some old watches and valuable coins and boom...all of a sudden 1/4 of my safe was gone to non-gun stuff.

I thought getting 8 gun was enough, but now that our lockbox of papers is in there, I really needed a 16 gun at least.

peaceMaker45

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    I searched around for a while before I bought a safe. For me, I live in the City, and have had issues with home invasion before.

So keeping these items out of a criminals hands was my goal. I also have family members who are younger in my house so restricting access by a curious family member was important as well.

I bought a Liberty safe, it wasn't cheap but I financed it for a few months and won't have to buy another one until it's full (happens faster than you think). It's heavy enough that it would be hard to get out of the house in a short amount of time and secure enough that it can't be cut into or pried open before the house alarm would have the authorities there.

It was expensive, but I don't worry when I'm out of town any more.

https://www.libertysafe.com

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Always buy one twice as big as you think you'll need. Always.

I agree with this completely.

With that being said, everyone's situation is a little bit different. I did lots of research of what safe, what size, where to put it in the house, for which toys, etc. The reality is you have to examine what you want to do and how you want to do it.

Just have a few handguns? Okay you won't need a Fatboy from Liberty. Something smaller that could be bolted to the inside corner of a closet would do. However, if you have a mix of handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc., then you may need something larger.

Depending on where you live, deciding where you put the safe matters as much as what type of safe to get. Live in an apartment or 1 story house? Then you may not have a basement to lug a safe into and tuck away from prying eyes. I am not a fan of the 'safe as a living room centerpiece' mindset. Having an inconspicuous location is as important as the type/style of safe you buy.

If you do not have somewhere to put a large safe away from general view then you may have to find a variety of smaller alternatives and place them in different locations around the house. All of these different options might not be the same. Maybe a small safe for the handguns. Another bigger safe for the rifles, shotguns. Perhaps you put a locker somewhere else to store the ammo. If you do have plenty of space then feel free to build out a room and reinforce the walls, that could be a dedicated space to store everything.

I know people who build vaults in every new home they buy. They may not move often but when they do having storage space for their toys is as important as everything else in the home. I also know people in smaller abodes who cannot do that and have created a variety of ways to keep everything secure. Point is everyone's situation will be a little bit different and you have to weigh all of your options and make the best decision for you.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Well you just need to get your priorities straight.

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Gunsafe

I think it depends on how many guns you end up buying. You can buy a really inexpensive safe but it wouldn't be fire proof at all but most importantly if you can secure it to the ground or wall to prevent it from being stolen. A safe is more of a deterrent than anything. You can also get concealment furniture as well. I just recently bought a coffee table with a hidden door. As far as getting something to take to the range make sure you can put a lock on it. For pistols preferably a hard case. You will find out as you get more guns your range equipment becomes more extensive. Probably the best thing to do for your home obviously is to have good insurance that will cover the loss. Plus if you have children make sure those tools are locked up good.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    As mentioned above numerous times, go bigger than you need. And don’t be afraid to check out the classifieds on facebook/craigslist. I found my practically new Liberty 32 on craigslist for a fraction of what they go for new.

For transport storage I like the hard cases from harbor freight. For my needs they’re just as good as the pelican cases and again, fraction of the cost. Can get them in any size you desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom