• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Messnick1970

Apr 25, 2020
    Gentlemen,

I wish you could see my excitement right now! I have been trying to buy a .223 WYLDE complete upper form BCA in either 16” or 18” length for literally months now. I was on their email list to be notified when ANY of their .223 WYLDE HBR were in stock. I must have been notified at least 12 times over the last couple months saying a particular upper I signed up for was back in stock only to click on it to buy and be told “Sorry, this item is out of stock”. Well, last night I was finally successful and am tickled as shit! I’m at O.C. Partying with friends for the air show this weekend but frankly all I could think about was what scope I’m going to put on it. Any suggestions from the experts??? Total with shipping I paid $394. It’s a BCA .223 WYLDE 18” Black S.S. Barrel 1:8 twist with a 15” MLOK; SIDE CHARGER! I thought the side charger was cool so that’s why I was so patient. If I can figure out how to post a pic of the ad I will.

Link:

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/pu...5efa4a6/i/m/image_-_2020-07-08t113802.356.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    budget, distance, purpose. Pretty much the 3 requirements to give any meaningful suggestion. I'm a Vortex fan, have several of their optics, and they tend to be good for the money with a great warranty and availability, so I'll stick to their model lines. There are other brands that are arguably as good at the same price, and a few other brands I own for different specialties, but pretty much can't go wrong with Vortex.

If you would like to shoot close and fast, basically 25yds and in, you should look for a 1X bottom magnification LPVO or unmagnified sight. If that is not a consideration, then IMO 2-4X every 100 yards is a good place to start looking for top end on a LPVO or total magnification range of a scope. So for 50yds figure 1-2X, 200yds 4-8X. You can use less magnification with better glass, and higher magnification on higher-end scopes will have a brighter/cleaner image with less distortion. The ever so popular 1-6 Strike Eagle for $300 is a great budget scope for 0-300yds, the 1-8 version can stretch out to 400yds. The least expensive useable scope IMO is the 1-4 crossfire 2, good out to 200 yards, significantly more distortion at 1x than the SE. The PST2 series is the "midrange" series, brighter, cleaner and better controls than the Strike Eagle, but heavier and more money. Despite the PST2 only being 1-6, the better image and reticle makes it easier for me to shoot out to 400 yards than the Strike Eagle 1-8. The Razor series is epic, clear and bright enough to hit easily at a mere 1x per 100yds but they are several times the price of the PST2s. If you don't care about close range, and care more about longer ranges, the Strike eagle 5-25 is good for about 100-1000 yards(a bit beyond 5.56's ability). The Diamondback tactical series is a little downgrade in range and glass, but still pretty good for the money, the 4-16 is good for about 100- 600 yards.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Although I've never actually tried one, the Primary Arms LPVO with ACSS reticle is highly rated as one of the best bang-for-your-buck options and the reticle is highly usable for ranging and will get you hits out to the max effective range of the 5.56.

I previously owned a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6. Can be had for under $600 and is about 80% of the quality of the Razor Gen 2 1-6 for a little less than half the cost.

I upgraded to a Nightforce NX8 1-8 and absolutely love it, but the price may turn many folks away.

On my 18inch SPR build I have a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50 FFP. AFAIK Bushnell discontinued this lineup in favor of the 3x and up, but it's a perfect medium range 5.56/.223 IMO. Parallax from 10yd to infinity. I got it on clearance and during a 30% rebate for about $340 total. You may be able to find a few for around this price. No illuminated reticle, though.

If most of your shooting is going to be around this area, I recommend a good 1-6 or 1-8. If you want to punch the tightest groups possible, maybe a 2.5 or 3-16 that you can dial.

Messnick1970

Apr 25, 2020
    I like Vortex as well. Never had one but it seems to be the scopes of choice on my favorite show meat eater. That’s all they use although I bet his are out of my price range. Definitely at the top of the list along with a Leupold or Nikon. In my own searches Nikon keeps popping up as a best bang for your buck option.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I like Vortex as well. Never had one but it seems to be the scopes of choice on my favorite show meat eater. That’s all they use although I bet his are out of my price range. Definitely at the top of the list along with a Leupold or Nikon. In my own searches Nikon keeps popping up as a best bang for your buck option.

Nikon scopes are closeouts. They've stopped making rifle scopes. My concern is that they may not be able to honor warranty claims.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Ain't nothing wrong with Vortex. If you are looking for a good long-range scope, you are going to spend a good bit. With Meat Eater, keep in mind he is probably getting the scopes for free in exchange for the endorsements.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you ask the question "What do I get for my money in a rifle scope?" I would say (in general) better/sharper image clarity. I believe when you buy a cheaper scope, you end up making up for a lack of clarity by having more magnification. And I think this will work up to a point for a rifle scope; i.e. if you are limited to 100 to 200 yards in range and have ideal light and weather conditions. If you need a good image in low light, and/or extended range, then I would say concentrate on better quality glass (and a bigger objective for low light) as opposed to more magnification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom