• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Sanchez

Jul 25, 2020
    C-137
    Can anyone share exactly whats legal and whats not when it comes to buying ammo online. I see some websites clearly have a no shipping policy to Maryland, some will not ship magazines over 10 rounds, but will ship ammo and some will ship neither. Whats the deal?

Can you ship ammo if you live in MOCO or is it on the discretion of the online shipper/website?

Whats legal an whats not??? Has anyone had any issues? Do you recommend any good places that are not currently inflated locally or online. Looking for 22lr and 12 gauge slugs for the range.

Why is Maryland so complicated!!:envy:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ammo is fine to be shipped here. Magazines above 10 rounds are a no go, so 10 rd mags are about it.

A lot of places just refuse to sell to MD, along with NY, NJ, CA because the laws are so hard to keep straight.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    As far as I know, all "normal" stuff is legal to be shipped to Maryland. There are some sites that will give you trouble. If they have MD listed as a won't ship to state, move on to the next.

Keep a close eye on ammoseek.com and you'll find deals pop up, but act quickly, they'll be gone in minutes.

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I think that the only places in Maryland you can't buy ammo online are Montgomery County or Annapolis as they have ordinances in place that restrict online ammo sales. Otherwise, anywhere in the state should be shipped straight to your door.

Magazines over 10 rounds can be bought out of state but can't be shipped to your house. Magazine rebuild kits CAN be shipped to your door. If a vendor refuses to make a legal sale to you it's usually because they aren't familiar with our laws or simply don't care enough to know them. Either way, they see it as too much of a risk to sell to us. Simply buy from someone else if you can't convince them- they aren't worth your time.

Obviously try buying from your local gunshop first. Failing that, gunbroker and armslist are two open markets (gunbroker is a little on the high side, armslist has a lot of scammers,) but I've used both with a lot of success. Badger Mountain Supply has a lot of rebuild kits for standard capacity mags, and they WILL ship straight to your door (in fact, the only place they don't ship it is California.) As for ammo? Use google. Just remember, any magazines over 30 rounds have to be assembled out of state in order for it to be legal.

Buy the kit, go across the border, build the mag, stop by cracker barrel, drive back.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    If you live in MoCo (Annapolis too?) there is a local law still on the books that was preempted by state law back in the 80s, but some sites still won’t sell (looking at you Palmetto).

Luckygunner, Bud’s, Midway, Brownells & Freedom Munitions have all shipped here without issue.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I have 500 rds from Federal on the way to Gaithersburg so I’ll report back to confirm it arrives. Luckygunner shipped here fast with no issues.

Rick Sanchez

Jul 25, 2020
    C-137
    As far as I know, all "normal" stuff is legal to be shipped to Maryland. There are some sites that will give you trouble. If they have MD listed as a won't ship to state, move on to the next.

Keep a close eye on ammoseek.com and you'll find deals pop up, but act quickly, they'll be gone in minutes.

I just lucked out on 20 boxes of ammo!! Just like that in stock / out of stock..Crazy!!!

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    500 rds of Federal 9mm fmj arrived on my doorstep yesterday, ordered on the 13th - 18.99/box and free shipping from federalpremium.com.

Gonna keep an eye on their site bc it seems to become available periodically.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    There is ammo to be found. I have used Gunbroker...the prices were a big high. I have also used Bass/Cabela's at much better prices - the issue is finding it in stock. Now Optics Planet, they have a restriction and I am not sure why. Point is most places will deliver to MD addresses. If you can wait and find a decent price, do it. However, if you just have to have it then you will pay a few extra pennies for it.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I just use AmmoSeek.com to find what is out there and have ordered from a number of sites that deliver to Carroll County just fine...

SGAmmo.com
    OutdoorLimited.com

are two that I use regularly

phaqr5

Aug 20, 2017
    Bulk Munitions

My buddy in Mo County just received a case of ammo from bulkmunitions.com that we split. Zero issues.

Seems most people are doing that to share shipping costs, etc., which are outrageous.

phaqr5

Aug 20, 2017
    I just saw they have Fiocchi for $360 a case, WHEN it is in stock. Love Fiocchi !

I just use AmmoSeek.com to find what is out there and have ordered from a number of sites that deliver to Carroll County just fine...

SGAmmo.com
    OutdoorLimited.com

are two that I use regularly

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    I use Grabagun. I think it is $12.99 to ship for as much as you want which makes the more you buy, the better your deal. Also use Angelfire for bulk but they stopped selling to the public several months ago for now. No problems with either shipping to Md.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I think that the only places in Maryland you can't buy ammo online are Montgomery County or Annapolis as they have ordinances in place that restrict online ammo sales. Otherwise, anywhere in the state should be shipped straight to your door.

Magazines over 10 rounds can be bought out of state but can't be shipped to your house. Magazine rebuild kits CAN be shipped to your door. If a vendor refuses to make a legal sale to you it's usually because they aren't familiar with our laws or simply don't care enough to know them. Either way, they see it as too much of a risk to sell to us. Simply buy from someone else if you can't convince them- they aren't worth your time.

Obviously try buying from your local gunshop first. Failing that, gunbroker and armslist are two open markets (gunbroker is a little on the high side, armslist has a lot of scammers,) but I've used both with a lot of success. Badger Mountain Supply has a lot of rebuild kits for standard capacity mags, and they WILL ship straight to your door (in fact, the only place they don't ship it is California.) As for ammo? Use google. Just remember, any magazines over 30 rounds have to be assembled out of state in order for it to be legal.

Buy the kit, go across the border, build the mag, stop by cracker barrel, drive back.

If you live in MoCo (Annapolis too?) there is a local law still on the books that was preempted by state law back in the 80s, but some sites still won’t sell (looking at you Palmetto).

Luckygunner, Bud’s, Midway, Brownells & Freedom Munitions have all shipped here without issue.

The MoCo and Naptown "laws" remain on the books, but they were struck down by this case...meaning while you can still find the laws, you have to find the court's opinion to understand that they are unenforceable.

Montgomery County v. Atlantic Guns, Inc., 489 A.2d 1114 (Md. 1985) out of the Court of Appeals of Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom