• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m be checking this out later. I’ve been toying with the idea to design a case feeder for my Hornady progressive press.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I’m be checking this out later. I’ve been toying with the idea to design a case feeder for my Hornady progressive press.
    In fact, if you're into 9mm and 223, someone has already cracked that code:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3438569

This will probably be my next project; I want to buy a Lee APP press and hook up a proper case feeder to it for cranking through 223 brass prep. (Assuming I get to this before buying an 1100. :))

Hmmm. I wonder if there’s a way to get this to work on a XL750?
    No reason it shouldn't.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    In fact, if you're into 9mm and 223, someone has already cracked that code:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3438569

This will probably be my next project; I want to buy a Lee APP press and hook up a proper case feeder to it for cranking through 223 brass prep. (Assuming I get to this before buying an 1100. :))

No reason it shouldn't.

Tonight was my first chance to really investigate these devices. I found 3-4 different Bullet feeders, case feeders and even some case feeder adapters for my LNL press. I’m definitely going to make these.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Erwos I want to thank you for the links. I should have known that someone already had solved these design problems.

I started in the case loader first. I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted so I found two designs and decided to hack the things I liked from each and create my own modified version.

First the case feeder was made using this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2488944

Overall the design is solid and the mechanism is smooth. The problem appears to be that the plastic body flexes a bit. So I only copied the actual sliding components and made my own brackets.

Here is a video from the designer. He really did a great job creating assembly instructions.

https://youtu.be/UaE40fDb8JM

For the case orientation I there were a few options to choose from but the one I went with was The Shoebox System. The main reason was the hopper was just a little smaller than the others and I could print it on my printer. https://youtu.be/ZpMwxtec5aw

So I combined the hopper assembly from the Shoebox design with the feed assembly from jsongdag’s design and replaced the square support tube with a 600mm section of 80/20 extruded aluminum which works much better to attach the components.

edcc16b48d7a3c2b54eaa11edcb933cd.jpg

7e6b1f4d869a3c8dd1ae6cabb5b1b561.jpg

I still have to print some small parts and the hopper bucket which should take about 15hrs so I might have it up and running tomorrow.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Wish I would have seen this BEFORE I bought the Mr. Bulletfeeder.

So cool you did this yourself

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Wish I would have seen this BEFORE I bought the Mr. Bulletfeeder.

So cool you did this yourself

I was very close to purchasing the Hornady case feeder system but it was out of stock. I was contemplating designing my own. Then Ewros made this post. I felt like a stooge that I didn’t think to look for a solution before.

I think this is going to cost about $22 in filament and maybe $25 in hardware and parts at most.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I was very close to purchasing the Hornady case feeder system but it was out of stock. I was contemplating designing my own. Then Ewros made this post. I felt like a stooge that I didn’t think to look for a solution before.

I think this is going to cost about $22 in filament and maybe $25 in hardware and parts at most.

Does anyone want to print a primer tube holder for me? I can pay for filament

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    So Amazon delivered a few missing parts at 6:15 and I couldn’t help myself and decided to get this almost finished.

I’m still missing the proximity sensor which should arrive Wednesday.

https://youtu.be/A_7jIaTCikQ

Man it almost works flawlessly. Now I have to figure out how to make it work with 5.56 and 300 Blackout cases.

won't play for me. 404

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Strange. I checked the link in my browser and it worked. However I just copied a new one. Hopefully it works this time.

New link works. That's really cool. My monkey brain wouldn't be able to do that. Hell with directions, maybe

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    erwos and ToolAA (or anyone else that has experience), I'm currently trying to decide which 3d printer to go with. I have some time because my wife and I have an agreement...some pieces of the honey do list have to get checked off first. I've got about 3 weeks left and I expect that I'll be ready to order. So the question is: which printer? I'm about 80% already decided on the Prusa Mini, but also considering the Ender (probably 3 pro, maybe v2).

Here are some factors:
    Ender is a little cheaper
    Ender has a bigger print volume
    Prusa mini has auto-leveling (I've heard that leveling is a PITA)
    Prusa mini seems to be a more "developed" product, more of the kinks already worked out
    Prusa mini is supposed to be quieter (less important, the frankford arsenal tumbler might drown it out anyway)

Do you have any thoughts on these or any others that I haven't thought to consider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom