• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so i've seen a little disagreement.

i bought a stripped pcc lower that has the manufacturer's name and addy and of course a serial number and i'm going to build (assemble) that into a sbr (online form 1 has been filed).

do i need to further mark/engrave that receiver with my name and addy?

followup question - of course after it's legal and i filed to take it into another state, can i (virginian) bring it into md for a match and if it's under or over 29" does that make a diff?

thx, david

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    so i've seen a little disagreement.

i bought a stripped pcc lower that has the manufacturer's name and addy and of course a serial number and i'm going to build (assemble) that into a sbr (online form 1 has been filed).

do i need to further mark/engrave that receiver with my name and addy?

followup question - of course after it's legal and i filed to take it into another state, can i (virginian) bring it into md for a match and if it's under or over 29" does that make a diff?

thx, david

Yes and yes.
    You are the maker of the SBR. It needs to have your info on it. Serial number stays the same.

The SBR will have to comply with MD law.

Last edited:

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Need to engrave and to bring it into MD, it needs to be at least 29” (unless you did paperwork prior to the 2013 change). Also as a sbr to cross state lines you must have an approved 5320.20 (aka form 20).

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Need to engrave and to bring it into MD, it needs to be at least 29” (unless you did paperwork prior to the 2013 change). Also as a sbr to cross state lines you must have an approved 5320.20 (aka form 20).

They will deny the form 20, even if it was prior to 10/2013. Ask me how I know. :mad54:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’ll second. Only if it was a registered SBR by Oct 2013 can it be under the length restriction (in Maryland). If you visited PA, for example, and temporarily changed uppers, you might be able to go shorter for that visit.
    Yep

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    So I guess you would just have to make it longer before you can get approved for Maryland

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Thread Revival w/a twist

I Recently had an eForm 1 approved by the ATF to SBR my DD Mk18. The ATF approved the eForm 1 without (missing) the additional descriptive information in block 4h. It was not an oversight that I didn't fill it out but it was the way the on-line instructions told me to fill in the form. Quite frankly, I pretty much figured they would disapprove it but... anyway--- to my point

I'm assuming I still need to get the lower engraved with my name and address even though block 4h is blank?

AND... does anybody know if United GS in Rockville does the engraving...they're closed today so...can't get an answer straight from them yet.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I know that Engage Armaments does engraving . I think they are closed on Mondays also.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Theoretically , an Under 29in ( semiauto centerfire ) that was owned pre Oct '13 In SBR format , would be Grandfathered to that owner , and thus Legal .

However , ATF consults the respective State Agency that regulates Firearms issues for any necessary clarification . And MSP LD has been advising ATF to apply 29 inch OAL to all such Rifles , regardless of age .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I Recently had an eForm 1 approved by the ATF to SBR my DD Mk18. The ATF approved the eForm 1 without (missing) the additional descriptive information in block 4h. It was not an oversight that I didn't fill it out but it was the way the on-line instructions told me to fill in the form. Quite frankly, I pretty much figured they would disapprove it but... anyway--- to my point

I'm assuming I still need to get the lower engraved with my name and address even though block 4h is blank?

AND... does anybody know if United GS in Rockville does the engraving...they're closed today so...can't get an answer straight from them yet.

Name(yours or name of trust. Whichever is applicable), City, State. That is all. No house number or street name.

Last I heard, and this was with the previous owners, they got rid of their laser engraver. Go to Engage on E. Gude Dr.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Name(yours or name of trust. Whichever is applicable), City, State. That is all. No house number or street name.

Last I heard, and this was with the previous owners, they got rid of their laser engraver. Go to Engage on E. Gude Dr.

Thanks Sir-- much appreciated.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

Completed the engraving today- Engage Armament was $45.00 no appointment needed. United Guns sold their engraving machine to Sterling Arms in VA. Their cost is $65.00 and appointment required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom