• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am looking to replace my gmail and verizon email accounts.
    All my email accounts are POP3, as my emails are stored local on my decktop using MS Outlook, and on my phone using K9.

What is a good POP3 email provider?
    Does anyone worry a "free" email provider can be ripped out from you like the "Free" photo hosting site did?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Free can always be ripped out from under you. Specifically as it relates to emails I can't say definitely yes, but I was using Hotmail since the mid to late 80's and a few years ago I lost access to it. They claimed it had been hacked but nothing I could do to show I 'owned' the account was sufficient. I then started using Protonmail.com for free and liked it so I signed up for a paid account. So far I am very happy, we'll see in about 15-20 years if it still works.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Problem with Proton is it is not POP3.
    I wanted something to integrate with my current clients that store locally.

Free can always be ripped out from under you. Specifically as it relates to emails I can't say definitely yes, but I was using Hotmail since the mid to late 80's and a few years ago I lost access to it. They claimed it had been hacked but nothing I could do to show I 'owned' the account was sufficient. I then started using Protonmail.com for free and liked it so I signed up for a paid account. So far I am very happy, we'll see in about 15-20 years if it still works.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    We are all getting wiser to what “Free” really means so your concerns are valid.

I second ProtonMail. Paid users do have access to use the ProtonMail Bridge app. This would allow you to import/export mail via POP3. I however have not used this feature.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Problem with Proton is it is not POP3.
    I wanted something to integrate with my current clients that store locally.

I use IMAP protocol, and it saves the email locally on my client (currently Thunderbird, though I'm not looking to change after Mozilla went did). It still remains in the cloud so it can be pulled from other devices. If you ever have your laptop crash this could let you resynch on a new device.

I think when you use POP3, once you download the email it gets deleted from the host, otherwise you'd keep downloading the same email over and over.

That's the way it used to work anyhow.

Is there another reason you don't want IMAP? The only reasons I can think of is to save server space or to have email that self destructs on the server (and you never know what backups exist even then).

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Aol
    Gmail (Google)
    Yahoo
    Hotmail (Outlook Microsoft)
    Zoho
    many others offer free service, others are free but no pop3 access

I have 3 of the above accounts all with different purposes, which has the best feature that up you what you like.

Verizon stop offering Email service under it name a number of years back, email is serviced by AOL which may be a verizon company.

yicheng

Jun 23, 2020
    Frederick
    I have a parked domain through dreamhost which comes with 5 POP3 email accounts, I believe. The total price was $12.99/mo.

As the saying goes, if a service is "free", YOU are the product.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    At the expense of time and a little money, consider setting up your own domain name and buying space on a web hosting service.

Domain names can be registered for as little as $15/year on a a reputable registrar.

Web hosting runs under $10/month. You don't have to host a website. Most will bundle email services along with it. You can run POP or IMAP.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    At the expense of time and a little money, consider setting up your own domain name and buying space on a web hosting service.

Domain names can be registered for as little as $15/year on a a reputable registrar.

Web hosting runs under $10/month. You don't have to host a website. Most will bundle email services along with it. You can run POP or IMAP.

www.namesilo.com for domains $8.99 .com

I have over 100 domains and they are by far the best to work with. They have email and hosting as well.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    POP3 allows it to remain on the serve "X" amount of days.
    That way multiple devices can download it

I use IMAP protocol, and it saves the email locally on my client (currently Thunderbird, though I'm not looking to change after Mozilla went did). It still remains in the cloud so it can be pulled from other devices. If you ever have your laptop crash this could let you resynch on a new device.

I think when you use POP3, once you download the email it gets deleted from the host, otherwise you'd keep downloading the same email over and over.

That's the way it used to work anyhow.

Is there another reason you don't want IMAP? The only reasons I can think of is to save server space or to have email that self destructs on the server (and you never know what backups exist even then).

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    Are we talking strictly security of the email here? If so, then any ”free” provider can be subpoenaed and give out all of your email history including deleted ones. If you want a total control of your emails, look into setting up an exchange server with your own SSL certificate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom