• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Any Baltimore County cleared paramedics looking for side work? My fire house is hiring, $20/hr, shifts are 7am-3pm or 3pm-10pm, 7 days a week.

Must be cleared to function as an ALS provider in Baltimore County specifically.

PM me for more information if you are interested.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I believe you , and no doubt this is a good opportunity .

But I must have a gap in my knowledge . I'm aware of Professional / Career Fire EMS that have examinations , long hiring process , long training process . I am aware of Volunteer Fire/ EMS , where they do it for free , for inner sense of duty , and personal satisfaction . I'm even aware of Private Ambulance/ Medical Transport companies .

But please explain " Fire Houses " with $20/ hr casual labor ? ( Not doubting you , just trying to fill my gap of knowledge .)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    But please explain " Fire Houses " with $20/ hr casual labor ? ( Not doubting you , just trying to fill my gap of knowledge .)

A lot of volunteer fire houses will pay paramedics and EMT's to staff the ambulance since most of the time the volunteers just want to do firefighting only. I used to do it as a side job when I worked as a medic.

curious what station this is for

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    One reason to pay an EMS crew is that this allows the company to be compliant with requirements set by the county. An ALS unit typically has to mark up on the radio within 90 seconds. As the number of paramedics who can volunteer to hang around a fire station in the middle of the day is limited, that tends to be the first position a volunteer company may have to cover with paid staff.

Some volunteer companies also pay a 'duty driver' for the fire side to cover the day shift. Its easier to find an officer and a firefighter than a driver.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    In order to increase the number of volunteer ambulances available in the county, Baltimore County reached an agreement where they pay each volunteer company with an ambulance a certain dollar amount for each hour between 7am and 10pm that the unit is staffed. As a trade off to this, volunteer ambulances have about 90 seconds to call en route on a call, so responding from home in a traditional volunteer manner is impossible.

Each volunteer company is free to do as it wishes with the money, as long as they follow IRS law. As OLM-Medic mentioned, many volunteer fire companies hire part time paid EMTs and Paramedics using that money. Usually they volunteer at one station and work at another. I know one who has worked her way through school doing this. A lot of this came about also because more and more people work full time jobs. When the county says you need to have an ambo crew in station to get the attended money, it became hard to do that during the day with so many volunteers working 9-5 jobs. This part time paid program was established by many volunteer companies as a way to keep their ambulances running during the day. Also, whereas some people can work remotely and ride the fire engine since fire calls usually are pretty quick, an an ambulance can leave the station at 8am and not come back till 2pm. EMS has unique challenges to staffing like that.

I'm not sure how other counties do it. I know Baltimore City is 100% career.

The reason the post says "Baltimore County cleared" is that Baltimore County, even for volunteers, has it's own process by which you are cleared to function as a paramedic. So even if you can function as a paramedic elsewhere, you have to go through the Baltimore County turn in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom