• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I took the atv to the other side of my property today, shame to see what happened over the mountain. The buyer gave the sellers his word that he wouldn't clear cut when he bought a few years ago. Obviously ruined this year BUT he seeded with what will be hay and it's already starting to sprout. Owner and I get along fine and he gave me permission to do as I please on his land so next year the deer should be back in droves.

I took the hawks pic from my deck, redtail?????

Ive seen it, it does change things...but what i noticed it does open it up for seeing more animals you couldnt see before.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The lot next to/behind us got harvested over the summer. Thinning out the big stuff and letting some sunlight down into the bottom land. Great idea except the stream running right through the center got used as their skid way and zero GAF was on the agenda as they cleared it. The water way is now a mud puddle and massive run off is evident :( Called DNR and asked them WTF ? "we'll come out and look at it" :rolleyes:

Funny how MD gets such a hard on about water quality (SAVE THE BAY!!!!!) and yet this shit goes down all the time... good ole boy network at work there.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    The lot next to/behind us got harvested over the summer. Thinning out the big stuff and letting some sunlight down into the bottom land. Great idea except the stream running right through the center got used as their skid way and zero GAF was on the agenda as they cleared it. The water way is now a mud puddle and massive run off is evident :( Called DNR and asked them WTF ? "we'll come out and look at it" :rolleyes:

Funny how MD gets such a hard on about water quality (SAVE THE BAY!!!!!) and yet this shit goes down all the time... good ole boy network at work there.

you gotta go to the news, news makes DNR look stupid, so on and so forth. then progress

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Left alone, the land will heal itself.

I believe that but hopefully it happens so I can see and enjoy it.

I was out for a couple hours today, much of the edge goes down very STEEP banks for several hundred feet, some into a pasture I can get to. One of these banks goes maybe 50' to a ledge and after that another 100' to the pasture. I think I'll bring a can of corn that way tomorrow and see if it draws interest.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    That looks awfully steep and lumpy for hayfields.

It is............. TO US. These ridge runners think nothing of it. Old guy down the road flipped his tractor )much the same as I did with atv) but after a lengthy hospital stay he got right back on his horse. Steep hills are nothing to them, just part of life like marrying their cousins. The lumps will smooth out in time.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Steep hills are nothing to them, just part of life like marrying their cousins. The lumps will smooth out in time.

Lol.

The other possibility is that in the logging plan he filed with soil conservation says that he plans to turn it into a hayfield but in reality he is planning to just leave it as-is and wait for nature to do the reforestation for him.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Lol.

The other possibility is that in the logging plan he filed with soil conservation says that he plans to turn it into a hayfield but in reality he is planning to just leave it as-is and wait for nature to do the reforestation for him.

Nope, he's already seeded it and said the crop is sold in advance.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    These pics are on the Clinch Mountain just above the Clinch River, I own a small portion of both by comparison. I'm not too concerned about runoff since it's beginning to sprout and its on the backside of the mountain.
    It's his land and a 150 acre hay field is far better than 300 houses. Hopefully the deer will love the fresh grass.

This is exactly what I was thinking. His land, he should be able to do what he wants. Plus, way better to have a hay field or some other type of crop land there for clear shots on deer.

Wish I had the time to hunt like I did in my 20's, but that would mean other things in life would need to change and I am not willing to sacrifice those other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom