• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Back in the spring i picked up my first gun, a striker fired Beretta APX. Now with a nice little Christmas bonus and spousal approval :) its time to select my second weapon. I'm very torn on what to get next. the prepper in me wants an AR, the home defense guy thinks a solid rifle, and the recreational shooter in me wants to encourage my wife and daughter by picking up a 22 (which they both enjoy shooting more than other guns).

so I'm leaning towards...

Building my own AR 15 in 9 mm
    picking up a 22. either a rifle, AR or pistol for the girls
    or
    getting another handgun of some sort. I'm torn between a carry gun and something just fun.

what did you guys do for your "second gun"?

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    If i were you i would get or build an AR in 5.56

This is my current project - I’m not a big collector of things but prefer to have small numbers of all-purpose, reliable, easy to maintain tools. A 5.56 AR gives you flexibility on ammo, it’s relatively low recoil so even younger family can shoot it, it’s good for defense, target shooting up to a couple hundred yards, 3 gun competition, etc - And they’re really fun to shoot.

Buying a complete one is next to impossible right now so I went with the build from scratch route with guidance from very knowledgeable friends and family.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Though a 22 could be good if you’re entirely new to guns, I’ve had a couple 22 rifles since I was a kid along with my dad’s old crappy shotgun, so handgun shooting was the new frontier for me this year. A 22 is excellent for learning marksmanship fundamentals, particularly for a kid or anyone not fully comfortable with firearms.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You do realize that 2 guns aren't going to cover all the bases, right? :D

There are a lot of ways you could go:

Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Marlin Model 60 22 rifle
    Henry Golden Boy 22 Rifle
    Browning Buckmark 22 pistol
    Walther P22 22 pistol
    Sig Mosquito 22 pistol
    SHOTGUN! (Mossburg 500, Remington 870 - either one)

Building an AR right now is going to be a challenge, and it's going to depend on how you want to go. 80% lowers are pretty scarce these days, and regular stripped lowers are expensive and regulated - you have to go through the same process as if it were a handgun. You clearly have an HQL or are otherwise exempt from it, so that's good, but it puts you on the list for having one.

Also, from what I have seen recently, completed HBAR uppers are virtually nonexistent, and although you don't "have" to do an HBAR upper, I'd personally recommend it living here in Maryland - that's the one sure way to know that it's fully legal. That's what I do anyway - I have two that I've put together, both HBAR.

Having said that, there's a certain pride in building out your own AR, even if it's just installing a lower build kit on a stripped lower and slapping on a completed upper. As others have said, going with either 5.56 or .223 Wylde will insure that you'll be able to feed it any ammo - 5.56 or .223.

If you want something that's less expensive to feed, look at the 22s. They also seem to be pretty reasonably priced, although everything is fetching a premium these days. Personally, my next pistol purchase is going to be either a 2020 Colt Python, or a Sig P320/M17.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore

Thanks! I was thinking 9mm (same ammo) .223 then .556 (my understanding is you can always use .223 in a .556 but not the other way around- do I have that right?)

i like the idea of a build because I love learning how stuff works.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    That's awesome info, thank you! My youngest loves shooting and really enjoyed renting a Glock44 so i've been looking at that and the Walther P22. I'ts also making me think of a .22 AR style platform for her. She is certainly into the tacticool :P

You do realize that 2 guns aren't going to cover all the bases, right? :D

There are a lot of ways you could go:

Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Marlin Model 60 22 rifle
    Henry Golden Boy 22 Rifle
    Browning Buckmark 22 pistol
    Walther P22 22 pistol
    Sig Mosquito 22 pistol
    SHOTGUN! (Mossburg 500, Remington 870 - either one)

Building an AR right now is going to be a challenge, and it's going to depend on how you want to go. 80% lowers are pretty scarce these days, and regular stripped lowers are expensive and regulated - you have to go through the same process as if it were a handgun. You clearly have an HQL or are otherwise exempt from it, so that's good, but it puts you on the list for having one.

Also, from what I have seen recently, completed HBAR uppers are virtually nonexistent, and although you don't "have" to do an HBAR upper, I'd personally recommend it living here in Maryland - that's the one sure way to know that it's fully legal. That's what I do anyway - I have two that I've put together, both HBAR.

Having said that, there's a certain pride in building out your own AR, even if it's just installing a lower build kit on a stripped lower and slapping on a completed upper. As others have said, going with either 5.56 or .223 Wylde will insure that you'll be able to feed it any ammo - 5.56 or .223.

If you want something that's less expensive to feed, look at the 22s. They also seem to be pretty reasonably priced, although everything is fetching a premium these days. Personally, my next pistol purchase is going to be either a 2020 Colt Python, or a Sig P320/M17.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Like stated before, going to be expensive to build the AR right now. Go for the 22. Easier to find one and ammo too. Less expensive to shoot and most importantly the wife and daughter factor in this decision.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yeah, I'm in the AR-15 5.56 group too. They're such a versatile, easily customizable, easily fittable (adjustable stock), low recoil, user serviceable, and multifunctional platform. If you're here in Maryland, not knowing what the legislature might enact, getting one now, instead of putting it off as your third or fourth purchase is a gamble. Moreover, you can start by just purchasing the lower receiver.

I understand as a new shooter, one wants to spread their wings and explore new terrain. I started with a FiveSeven handgun, then decided I wanted something in 9mm (and got a Walther PPQ), and then I needed a revolver (a S&W 686), a 22LR rifle (Browning BL-22), etc. It was a wandering path.

I ordered AR-15 lower receivers only when MD decided to ban future purchase of all but heavy barrel AR-15 rifles. I started accumulating parts over time.

Eventually a friend and I were planning on a range day, went, and the range was closed for maintenance. So we were wondering what to do, and he knowing that I had purchased all the parts that I needed for a build, suggested why don't we do this. Went back to my place, and he told me what I needed to do, step by step. No YouTube needed. It was a fantastic busted day. Now I have an undetermined amount of them.

I feel lucky to have been in a position to buy before the 2013 MD Firearms Safety Act became law. This is also the legislation that gave us the HQL barrier for handgun purchases. An AR-15 is a rifle that every enthusiast of modern firearms should have in their collection. Maybe you'll like it so much, that you'll buy/build more. I do feel that some of your other options will continue to be available for purchase after the 2021 Maryland legislative session.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    You can always get an AR 300 blackout. Ammo is expensive and you have to shoot outdoor for most range. Maybe you can shoot 4 times per year.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

This.

Here is how I would break down gun needs vs wants.
    1: Defensive handgun.
    2: Defensive carbine. 5.56>PCC, 9mm, 40, 45 etc.
    3: 22LR rifle.
    4: 12 or 20 gauge shotgun.
    5: Long range rifle suitable for deer, hog, etc.
    6: This is where wants start.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Put me in the AR club too. The AR 15 is the modern day musket. It is the best offensive/defensive weapon you could put in your home.
    Both my wife and daughter prefer shooting my ARs over .22s. Neither I would consider avid shooters.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    This.

Here is how I would break down gun needs vs wants.
    1: Defensive handgun.
    2: Defensive carbine. 5.56>PCC, 9mm, 40, 45 etc.
    3: 22LR rifle.
    4: 12 or 20 gauge shotgun.
    5: Long range rifle suitable for deer, hog, etc.
    6: This is where wants start.

Why 22LR is number 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom