• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Do we know as fact if ACB/Kav/Gorsuch recused themselves or not in the TX case?

No, we don't. We only know that it required five of them to get the case heard, and Thomas and Alito went to the trouble to speak their minds about it. Implies that one or more of Gorsuch, Barret, or Kavanaugh were likely not happy with the standing issue, or were cowed by Roberts on this one.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    No, we don't. We only know that it required five of them to get the case heard, and Thomas and Alito went to the trouble to speak their minds about it. Implies that one or more of Gorsuch, Barret, or Kavanaugh were likely not happy with the standing issue, or were cowed by Roberts on this one.

I wonder if Roberts guilted them into recusing????

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I wonder if Roberts guilted them into recusing????

IMO, Roberts doesn't have the moral standing to "guilt" anyone. He's a toad-eater for the DNC, and everyone knows it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It’s not true.

“Someone told me they heard someone else claim a thing”

If I need to expand upon that, the justices met by teleconference. So a staffer couldn’t hear Roberts and the liberal justices screaming through the walls.

I'll file that 'yelling through the wall' in #shitthatneverhappened

Bush v. Gore was a suit that rose up to the supreme court from within the state. It wasn't Oklahome suing Florida about their election administration. Very different beast, no need for anyone to yell about it.

The decision not to grant an injunction was 9-0, the dissent was limited to the question whether the supreme court is obligated to hear a genuine state vs. state suit or whether they have the discretion to simply not take it up.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

As you are one of the most experienced, knowledgeable and trusted members here, I hesitate to add a correction to anything you’ve posted, but it is only a minor technical edit for clarity.

I takes only four Justices, not five, to grant cert to hear a case.

A very knowledgeable friend, a daily observer of the Court’s process, cert grants and rulings, shared with me the following:

“So at best, there were maybe three who would have taken the case, but only Thomas and Alito dissented from denial, BUT both say they'd not grant any other relief.

It's cryptic, but any of the Justices could have explained why they did what they did. None spoke.“

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As you are one of the most experienced, knowledgeable and trusted members here, I hesitate to add a correction to anything you’ve posted, but it is only a minor technical edit for clarity.

I takes only four Justices, not five, to grant cert to hear a case.

Ah! BUT: in a case where the SCOTUS is the original jurisdiction (which is the case when the complaint is one state vs. another), they DO have to get five justices to say yes. In any other case (like where something works its way up from the lower courts), you are right that only FOUR justices have to say yes to grant cert. But there was no need for cert in the TX suit, only do-we-hear-it-or-not, and five's the rule when it's state-on-state.

The SCOTUS is so rarely seen as the court of original jurisdiction that we're just not used to needing five justices who have their eye on the ball.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Ah! BUT: in a case where the SCOTUS is the original jurisdiction (which is the case when the complaint is one state vs. another), they DO have to get five justices to say yes. In any other case (like where something works its way up from the lower courts), you are right that only FOUR justices have to say yes to grant cert. But there was no need for cert in the TX suit, only do-we-hear-it-or-not, and five's the rule when it's state-on-state.

The SCOTUS is so rarely seen as the court of original jurisdiction that we're just not used to needing five justices who have their eye on the ball.

Of course, you are correct.

There was no petition from Texas to SCOTUS for a writ of certiorari, because there was no lower court to receive the writ to “send up” the case on appeal.

I learned that Texas had to instead file a “Motion for Leave to File a Bill of Complaint” in the Supreme Court to ask them to take this case of Original Jurisdiction.

As you say, a rare enough event that even researching the question (and the procedure) associated with the Court’s Original Jurisdiction is difficult because so many online sources only discuss the “Rule of Four” for cert associated with appeals from below.

I’ll be spending some quality time reading here:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1336312379408322560?s=21

https://davidlat.substack.com/p/texas-v-pennsylvania-whats-the-deal

Thanks for adding to my knowledge.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Do we know as fact if ACB/Kav/Gorsuch recused themselves or not in the TX case?

I'm 99% sure if they did recuse then the order would have said so.

There is no reason on earth that they should have recused themselves anyway. They have no personal stake in the case, none have heard the case at a lower court.

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    This sounds like this mysterious water cooler that shows up after 50 posts

I just noticed I got past 50 posts and I am still unenlightened. Maybe it is 500 posts, which is probably more than I have posted anywhere in my lifetime. :D

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I just noticed I got past 50 posts and I am still unenlightened. Maybe it is 500 posts, which is probably more than I have posted anywhere in my lifetime. :D

Crap, going to have to take that one off my bucket list now. Hitting 50 would have been tough enough for me already.

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    Crap, going to have to take that one off my bucket list now. Hitting 50 would have been tough enough for me already.

I'm not sure what happens when you get to 50, but I did just get a phone call from Scarlett Johansson, inviting me to spend the holiday weekend with her at the No-Tell Motel. Told her I'd have to ask my wife before I said yes. As usual, my wife just laughed at me.

You suppose that was it when you get to 50? :lol2:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

7345__49365.1593527955.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom