• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    Are there scanners available now to listen in to like PG and MC police channels? or is this no longer possible since they are trunked/encrypted?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can buy a trunking scanner.

I know you can listen to PG, not sure about Monkey. The only local jurisdiction I know you can't listen to is DC fire because they encrypted their comms, last I heard (or didn't).

You just need to ensure that the scanner you buy has the protocol used by the agency you are trying to listen to.

Check out radioreference.com https://www.radioreference.com/

There you can see what system the agency is using and the talk group assignments.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    There is a guy on Facebook that has a Montgomery County scanner. I have neither Facebook nor an interest in listening to the radio in my off time, so I'm not sure who he is. But it shouldn't be terribly difficult to find.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    many of the systems are on broadcastify.com Not the same as a scanner , but a lot less hassle. With the trunked systems, you may have to update frequency and talk group assignments anytime the system owner changes something. The 'subscriber' radios automatically receive the updates, the casual scanner user has to do the updates himself.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I use this. Also have an earlier version. Very easy to self program.

994586691a2727041eafc0ec0bb03073.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Self program? You want Terminators? Cause that's how you get Terminators.

trunkmonkey

Jul 8, 2020
    Montgomery is available online on OpenMHZ. This is by far the best scanner site out there. It captures every talk group and records them so you can play back past calls. https://openmhz.com

If you’re technically inclined, it’s not too hard or expensive to contribute a new feed for a county that isn’t already on here, as long as it’s not encrypted.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    There are police scanner apps on smart phones.

many of the systems are on broadcastify.com Not the same as a scanner , but a lot less hassle. With the trunked systems, you may have to update frequency and talk group assignments anytime the system owner changes something. The 'subscriber' radios automatically receive the updates, the casual scanner user has to do the updates himself.

I have the broadcastify app, doesn't provide DC or PG police, which are the main ones I want to listen to

I use this. Also have an earlier version. Very easy to self program.

something like this could get me to listen to PG county?(police that is, I can hear fire on the app)

Montgomery is available online on OpenMHZ. This is by far the best scanner site out there. It captures every talk group and records them so you can play back past calls. https://openmhz.com

thanks I will check this out

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have the broadcastify app, doesn't provide DC or PG police, which are the main ones I want to listen to

Many jurisdictions have switched to encrypting the police channels. If that is the case, your regular uniden trunked scanner is not going to help you either. If a system is unencrypted, there is usually someone who puts it onto broadcastify.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    Many jurisdictions have switched to encrypting the police channels. If that is the case, your regular uniden trunked scanner is not going to help you either. If a system is unencrypted, there is usually someone who puts it onto broadcastify.

yes, I'm waiting on new entries into broadcastify
    I just checked openmhz and pg county (north at least) is in there that includes PG county and a lot of their municipal departs. Just which they had a mobile app for it!

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    :::Answering LOUD PING:::: Did someone say they need scanner help?????? Ok here it is the system that monkey is using now they will be changing very soon to a new system. If you want to get a scanner and do not need all the bells and whistles then I would recommend a Uniden BCD006P2 or a Unification G5 in the 700/800 band since it will also pick up the Phase 2 that monkey will be switching over to within the next couple of weeks. The TG's aka Talk Groups are not known yet and will have to wait until RR aka Radio Reference does post them. If and its a huge if you are computer savvy their is also SDS which stands for software defined radio which is using an SDR Dongle and several different software using Java to scan with as well. If anyone needs any help just send me PM and will give you a hand on what you want to monitor. If you need any references here ask Stoveman about me and their are also some others I have helped as well.

FYI Monkey =Montgomery County

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    :::Answering LOUD PING:::: Did someone say they need scanner help?????? Ok here it is the system that monkey is using now they will be changing very soon to a new system. If you want to get a scanner and do not need all the bells and whistles then I would recommend a Uniden BCD006P2 or a Unification G5 in the 700/800 band since it will also pick up the Phase 2 that monkey will be switching over to within the next couple of weeks. The TG's aka Talk Groups are not known yet and will have to wait until RR aka Radio Reference does post them. If and its a huge if you are computer savvy their is also SDS which stands for software defined radio which is using an SDR Dongle and several different software using Java to scan with as well. If anyone needs any help just send me PM and will give you a hand on what you want to monitor. If you need any references here ask Stoveman about me and their are also some others I have helped as well.

FYI Monkey =Montgomery County
    I'll vouch for you right hear and now, Motorcoachdoug. You guided me from the old era of dedicated frequencies up to the current era of trunked scanning.

Thanks again for your help.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

something like this could get me to listen to PG county?(police that is, I can hear fire on the app)

thanks I will check this out
    MPD is all encrypted (except for citywide 1) so no bueno.

PG PD is P25 phase 2 (TDMA) so if that site is SDR-based, that might not happen either. Fire dispatch and first ops channel are locked to Phase 1 (FDMA) so that's likely why you hear fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom