• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    So the first week of may I ordered a Remage 26” Black Hole Weaponry P3 1-8 twist M40 profile barrel. My guess is that the way things are going I don’t think it will hit production and shipping till late January or February. This started as a project to build a precision rifle build with the intent of using a long action rem 700 receiver on a existing rifle Rem 700 SPS SS 270 win. Any hoot around the Christmas Eve table I told my youngest son this and he was explicit he did not want me to do this as this rifle which I planned on giving him was the first high power rifle he ever fired. I think he was 12 when I took him to the range with this. Up to that point it had Ben a Rem 597 22 LR. So I am thinking I was going to get a trued Rem 700 LA receiver, but the more I think about itI might as well just get a clone precision receiver. All ways built my Remage rifles on OEM 700 receivers, never been down this road. So what are your thoughts I want to keep things reasonable. A trued receiver is $575 plus or minus. So say $700 for complete receiver is where I am thinking. What are your thoughts. Just stick with a trued Rem 700 or what are my other viable options. Merry Christmas

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The only custom action I can think of around that price range is the bighorn origin (I think this the one). Somewhere around $850 or so.

Nothing wrong with a trued r700 action either.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Northland Shooters is very quickly running out of OEM receivers and is out of anything small action, custom will soon be your only option.

BigHorn actions are cut for Savage small shank barrels, not Remage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Price out the receiver and the work to tune it, and you will find you are quite close to an aftermarket. Add in that many of them come with the 20 MOA rail integrated, the prices are even more comparable. Also, many have upgraded features, such as M16 extractors and better bolt stops.

When I was looking at building a .300 WinMag long range rifle, it was a no brainer to go aftermarket.

Short Action Customs in Ohio recommended the Kelbly's. Stiller was the other I was looking at. Sturgeon is top, but a bit higher than the others I mentioned.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    The only custom action I can think of around that price range is the bighorn origin (I think this the one). Somewhere around $850 or so.

Nothing wrong with a trued r700 action either.

Thanks I’m going to do some more research see what is out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom