• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Possibly.

However, over the years I have given training to several women who decided they wanted a home defense pistol (one already had a 12 ga pump). And about half of them found out shooting was FUN, and did a good bit more.

jfinlay

Sep 18, 2012
    I think women respond much better to instruction than men. They don’t have that “macho gene” getting in the way. When you go to the gym, it is the women with the better lifting form.

I had the wife take a “get comfortable with a handgun class” and she was super accurate with a 9, but a 45 was a bit much for her. I asked her if she wanted a 9 of her own. Her response was “nah, I’m no longer afraid of them, but I don’t have any interest”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    I just went through this with my wife. First she took a basic firearm handling class and they shot a Ruger 22LR at the end. She handled it fine and tried my 9 mm's after. Surprisingly, she handled them well. She liked shooting the full size frames better than the single stack. I ended up getting us a SW Victory 22LR for fun and got her a G19X for the bedside. I have a G17 Gen 5.
    Treat the training days like your date night. Go together and have her test a bunch. You might be surprised what she ends up liking and if it's something you don't have, it'll be a good time to expand that collection.
    And she does struggle to rack so I'm getting her the "Field Sport Tactical Ring Latch Handle for Glock". Have something similar on the Victory which she likes. Shotgun was out bc we live in a townhome. And always keep one in the chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_9605.jpg
      IMG_9605.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 162

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    My wife is interested in having a firearm on the nightstand on her side of the bed. We don't have any kids. She is totally inexperienced with firearms. I'm going to take her to the range to shoot a couple of my firearms under strict supervision and she will enroll and take a firearms safety and handling class.

The question is, what firearm to get her? And what style? I'm thinking one of the small Ruger revolvers, like an LCR in 9 mm or 38 special, because they are simple and go bang every time but I also wonder if she'd want to mess with a semi-auto of about the same size and in .380 or 9 mm. My feeling is the revolver is a better choice for an inexperienced shooter.

Suggestions?

IMHO Hands down a revolver is the best nightstand handgun for anyone, regardless of experience...

Revolvers never have a failure to feed or have a magazine spring go south from sitting loaded for long periods.

Buy a .357 and start her off with .38 special loads and work her up to .357 defense rounds.

They're lots of grip options for revolvers, unlike the plastic fantastic semi autos that are all the rage...

The S&W Lady Smith is a great .357/.38 Special Revolver...

I bought one for each of my 4 daughters after they shot one at the local gun store/range ... they love em.

Attachments

• 20201230_075330.jpg
      20201230_075330.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 153

Bill1337

May 8, 2020
    Pump shotgun - the sound of racking it is universally known and will send most intruders fleeing. For those that stay, her aim doesn't have to be that good.

Architect

Apr 6, 2015
    Queen Anne's County
    My wife is interested in having a firearm on the nightstand on her side of the bed. We don't have any kids. She is totally inexperienced with firearms. I'm going to take her to the range to shoot a couple of my firearms under strict supervision and she will enroll and take a firearms safety and handling class.

The question is, what firearm to get her? And what style? I'm thinking one of the small Ruger revolvers, like an LCR in 9 mm or 38 special, because they are simple and go bang every time but I also wonder if she'd want to mess with a semi-auto of about the same size and in .380 or 9 mm. My feeling is the revolver is a better choice for an inexperienced shooter.

Suggestions?

You've already gotten a ton of responses. But here is my two cents, and that's exactly what it's worth.

Get a revolver as you originally mentioned. Get it chambered in .357 so you have that available to yourself, as an experienced shooter and potentially your wife as she becomes more experienced and comfortable shooting.

You can load it with .38 rounds until she becomes comfortable with the higher powered .357, or not. .38 is still a decent round.

I'm not a huge fan of the composite revolvers. I did see an earlier suggestion on a Ruger SP101. That would be a good purchase.

I also saw someone mention a Colt King Cobra. That's a huge grip area for a smaller sized hand. Definitely suggest trying that before buying. That's a ton of cash to drop too. Not saying I don't like them. I know a friend who has a python and I love it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    .38 Special revolver - a good used S&W, Colt or Ruger will do nicely.

When the Missus was looking, she wanted something she could easily handle, but minimize chances of an AD.

She went for the simplicity of a revolver. Between an SP101 and a Model 60, she went with the SW, because it had a tighter trigger.

Later, she fell in love with my GP100, so I picked up a 4" version for her.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Help

Suggestions?

I have a S&W 380 EZ after my daughter shot it she want's to trade her Ruger for one. I would also like to try the 9mm EZ since I'm 74. I have a short 38 special can't even hit a target with it, I keep it because its loud really loud and fun to shoot. It's up to her I would suggest go to a indoor range and try a couple.

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    Different scenarios, which are potentially complementary.

Also, the bedside firearm won't crap on the living room carpet because you don't move quick enough at 5:30am.

(Sorry, off topic) MigraineMan, that T&J episode planted the seeds in me becoming a cigg smoker for 26+ years. I've since quit/moved to cigars on occasion.

Attachments

• Tom and Jerry Smoke.PNG
      Tom and Jerry Smoke.PNG
      9.2 KB · Views: 132

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    Think you will find the training suggestions will get the best results and one step farther, if you find a female instructor even better.
    My diminutive niece hated the Bodygiard 38 revolver, recoil even with low recoil ammo, was too snappy and her wrist hurt. But she loves her standard size 9 mm semiauto. Even carried it during her successful ibex hunt.
    My wife went thru 22s, 380s, 9mm and did ok with comment "Ho Hum"; meanwhile, I was shooting my Officer model 1911 colt. Let me shoot that. Oh, I like this 45 and how about that light weight 45? Now, she's says, "this is my choice Star PD .45acp"
    Totally surprised me. That was 35 years ago.

DeanBurns

Thumper
    Sep 15, 2018
    KSG

I bought my wife a KSG12. She loves it. Not exactly compact but it goes great with her black lace nighty and it’s too large for her to try to hide it under her pillow poking me in the ear in the middle of the night.

Carter McCoy

High Standard K-1200
    Jul 7, 2020
    Crofton
    Get one of these:

WaHo1 001.JPG

Cheaper, less training, and less interference from Law Enforcement and Lawyers!

Disclaimer: The above post is meant as sarcasm. Please never shoot this stuff at anything, it is right nasty.

Towsonite

Jul 31, 2020
    If something is going to go wrong in a situation, it's usually because the shooter lacks experience. The best gun is the one with which she is most willing to go to the range and put a lot of lead downrange, so I think a pistol is by far the best to get someone who lacks experience and needs to get experience. In general, people with revolvers hardly use them compared to someone who brings a Glock and 5 magazines. Make practicing enjoyable and not a PITA of reloading, etc. Whatever you do, don't get the smallest gun you can find and don't trust her opinion on the size unless she actually target shot both. A Glock 26 might be cute and less intimidating, but I can almost guarantee she'd rather shoot and be better at shooting a little bigger Glock 19.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Get one of these:

View attachment 303198

Cheaper, less training, and less interference from Law Enforcement and Lawyers!

Disclaimer: The above post is meant as sarcasm. Please never shoot this stuff at anything, it is right nasty.

Noted that you intend sarcasm here, but there was a time when wasp and hornet spray was deemed to be desirable as a self defense tool.

Lest readers be potentially misled, those claims of wasp spray effectiveness have many times been demonstrated to be bogus.

Merlock40

Apr 1, 2019
    Comfort over style

I agree, whatever she finds fits her hands and strength.
    All other considerations follow AFTER she tries them on "for size" and "comfort" / flash/recoil.

gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    Agreed! I too have an LCR in .38 special. It is a great concealed carry gun, but it is no fun to shoot due to the recoil

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom