• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    You aint lying,, That was the purpose of this thread, to see if there was an alternative in the mid 800 FPS range.

I have had a "email notification" set up on multiple sites for a month or more.

IF you can find any. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Optics Planet will take back orders on Quiet Semi Auto and Suppressor. :D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You’re not missing much if you’re looking to shoot tiny holes in paper. At 100 yards there’s roughly a 3 foot dispersion out of my 10/22 judging from the impact splashes on the berm. At 50 yards it was on the high side of about 6”. I can get my calipers out later, but the same rifle shot 5 rounds of decent ammo at what looked like near 0.5” at 50 yards. It was funny to shoot though. Pretty nice crack and louder impact against the target backing.

Interesting that you mention this. I'd like to try a box of this, if for no other reason than because it's out there, and I've never shot any of it. But your findings are consistent with a theme in my 10/22 generally.

I have long known rimfires to display distinct ammo preferences. But I myself have never owned a 22 of any variety that was anywhere near as finicky with ammo, as is my Ruger 10/22. I'm not referring to cycling. I'm talking about accuracy. Some ammo shoots well. Others, significantly less well. Others still, cross into the realm of truly horrible.

Maybe the ammo. Maybe the rifle. Maybe the model generally. Early on with my rifle, I was like Christ, is it me as the shooter?

About the only way to really know for sure is to shoot a variety of offerings in individual rifles. I've never owned a rimfire rifle that demonstrated more profound ammo preferences.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Ahh, they learned from the gun broker sellers who: advertise a gun as in stock, take your money, then 6 weeks later they have not shipped so you cancel the order, and they charge 20% for cancelling the order :tdown:

Optics Planet will take back orders on Quiet Semi Auto and Suppressor. :D

Mar 6, 2019
    Interesting that you mention this. I'd like to try a box of this, if for no other reason than because it's out there, and I've never shot any of it. But your findings are consistent with a theme in my 10/22 generally.

I have long known rimfires to display distinct ammo preferences. But I myself have never owned a 22 of any variety that was anywhere near as finicky with ammo, as is my Ruger 10/22. I'm not referring to cycling. I'm talking about accuracy. Some ammo shoots well. Others, significantly less well. Others still, cross into the realm of truly horrible.

Maybe the ammo. Maybe the rifle. Maybe the model generally. Early on with my rifle, I was like Christ, is it me as the shooter?

About the only way to really know for sure is to shoot a variety of offerings in individual rifles. I've never owned a rimfire rifle that demonstrated more profound ammo preferences.

I’ve had significant improvements in ammo pickiness once I swapped my barrel for a GM bull barrel. Not everything shoots great, but I can plink with just about anything. Most subsonics will shoot decent and a handful will be good. I consider decent 2 MOA and good as 1 MOA. Most of my preferred ammo is in the 1050-1100 FPS range. Eking out that last 1/8-1/2” is the hard part.

I’m trending more towards bolts for precision and practice, but shooting a 10/22 is just plain fun. I’ll probably buy more of the 21 grain varmint rounds for plinking because it’s fun to shoot but I’m not expecting it to group worth a lick. I’d say try a box but don’t get your hopes up. It’s a fun round. I don’t think it’s close to a varmint hunting round as the accuracy just isn’t there. I’ve seen the old theories about subsonic .22LR being more accurate hold true in mine but I also watched YouTube videos with rifles that shoot supers better. Maybe yours will like the fast ammo.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I have found once I am down in the ~700 FPS range, the inconsistent powder charge really shows up, I dont have that in the 900-1000 FPS range.

I’ve had significant improvements in ammo pickiness once I swapped my barrel for a GM bull barrel. Not everything shoots great, but I can plink with just about anything. Most subsonics will shoot decent and a handful will be good. I consider decent 2 MOA and good as 1 MOA. Most of my preferred ammo is in the 1050-1100 FPS range. Eking out that last 1/8-1/2” is the hard part.

I’m trending more towards bolts for precision and practice, but shooting a 10/22 is just plain fun. I’ll probably buy more of the 21 grain varmint rounds for plinking because it’s fun to shoot but I’m not expecting it to group worth a lick. I’d say try a box but don’t get your hopes up. It’s a fun round. I don’t think it’s close to a varmint hunting round as the accuracy just isn’t there. I’ve seen the old theories about subsonic .22LR being more accurate hold true in mine but I also watched YouTube videos with rifles that shoot supers better. Maybe yours will like the fast ammo.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

I was very late in the game to making a 10/22 purchase. Might be one of the last guys on the planet who didn't own one.

Amazingly enough, in my mind at least, because prior to the last 22 ammo crisis I wouldn't have bought it in 100 years, and actually got some of it as a gift? My 10/22 absolutely loves Aguila Superextra HV 40 grain copper washed. It'll shoot CCI standard velocity lead pretty well also. Mini Mags are also off and on acceptable. But at least 5 other ammo selections I tried ran the gamut from pretty bad to downright awful.

With the Aguila, easily a consistent and repeatable minute of squirrel head rifle at 50 yards.

Everybody has acceptable standards for desired precision. This standard was mine, and I was shocked to find that of everything I tried, it was the Aguila ammo that would consistently deliver it. All of which may....or may not....mean a thing to the next guy running similar tests with their rifle.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    For me the best accuracy i found in my 10/22s and cz 457s ( yes I have a few of each) the CCI semi auto quiet were excellent. coming in 2nd was federal suppressor. I haven't tested the winchester silencer ammo yet. 3rd for me was the RWS suppressor and it was almost identical to the SK suppressor . they are all very close. but those were my findings. I was lucky enough to buy a few cases of each before things got to crazy. but the reality none of these are cheap ammo. your results may very !

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ah so it is like

I could get on board with that...the safety margin might be enough. Almost every type of sub-sonic I have shot through my 14" barrel will produce an occasional supersonic crack. Embarrassing...to say the least.

so that is embarrassing like when you try to let out an SBD but actually it squeaks out a little noise? :P j/k

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    Does this help?

The Aguilla 60gr at the top of the list is in the right velocity range but the twist rate to handle the 60gr is more in line with what you would use with an AR conversion set-up, using the original AR barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom