• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Last summer I was high bidder in a local auction on a matching L08 "artillery" Luger when this lot, along with about 30 others, was pulled from the catalog. This happens occasionally when someone disputes an estate. Since then I kept one eye on the auction house listings, hoping to see it pop back up. Last week they put up a new online firearm auction but boo hiss, no Arty Luger.
    -But my eyes about pop'd out of my skull when I saw what was listed: a 1933 dated Radom Karabinek WZ.29 in 8mm Mauser. But I swiftly realized this listing was in error. It was in fact an extremely rare Kbk.S.WZ.31 training rifle in .22 LR. I've never seen one in the flesh and an online search pulled up a total of 4 examples, one of which was sporterized. Three bring-backs here in the US and one in Germany. Pre-98 sold two of them and all that I've seen are dated 1933. The highest SN of these was the one sold in Germany which was in the 9k range. So mine is the highest of those I've run across in the 11k range.
    -After a few days the auction house revised the listing and the jig was up. But I expected a tough fight as even "common" WZ.29s bring good money these days.So the Arty Luger search went on the back burner and I managed to grab the WZ.31 for about 3/4 of market value Not a steal but I did just fine. It was missing the bayonet lug but I had a Czech spare in the parts bin. Finding an original Polish lug will be a long search. The sling was for a K98k and that came off and immediately went onto a proper K98k. I actually had a proper sling for the WZ so on it went.
    -Numbers matching with a really robust firing pin, doubt you could break this one. And Lord is it heavy! Comes in right around 10 lbs. Finish appears to black enamel over zinc parkerizing. Very much in the fashion of what the French were adopting during this period. Not a lot of enamel left where exposed but perfect under the furniture.
    -Oddly the rear sight looks to be std for 8mm, not configured for .22 LR. Single shot with an extractor system similar to that used on Martini .22s.

Attachments

• IMGP9299.JPG
      IMGP9299.JPG
      26.2 KB · Views: 252
    • IMGP9301.JPG
      IMGP9301.JPG
      26.3 KB · Views: 241
    • IMGP9289.JPG
      IMGP9289.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 239
    • IMGP9300.JPG
      IMGP9300.JPG
      33.3 KB · Views: 241
    • IMGP9285.JPG
      IMGP9285.JPG
      92.3 KB · Views: 240
    • IMGP9286.JPG
      IMGP9286.JPG
      94.6 KB · Views: 237
    • IMGP9294.JPG
      IMGP9294.JPG
      48.4 KB · Views: 252
    • IMGP9287.JPG
      IMGP9287.JPG
      52.4 KB · Views: 243
    • IMGP9288.JPG
      IMGP9288.JPG
      86.7 KB · Views: 234
    • IMGP9295.JPG
      IMGP9295.JPG
      52.3 KB · Views: 247

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks nice! I saw that on there but ended up not bidding on anything.

I know where a mint one was on consignment for around $1,600. Not sure if they still have it though. It was over the summer.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The “King of Trainers” has struck again!! Congrats on another beautiful grab :thumbsup:

You know me so well! Thank God I had the resources to indulge myself without having to resort to a ramen noodle diet. I think this is the first bit of unobtanium I've found in MD. I usually have to travel north into PA for treasure hunting.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Looks nice! I saw that on there but ended up not bidding on anything.

I know where a mint one was on consignment for around $1,600. Not sure if they still have it though. It was over the summer.

I'm surprised and glad we weren't beating each other up though I've had it happen before and the friendships endured. You sir have the best luck of anyone I've met when it comes to finding treasure. The M34 Berthier and No5 MkI still stick in my mind along with many other wonderful finds.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Man, we know you got something good when the turnaround from pickup to posting is less than 24 hours! She's a beauty!

Hit the auction house on my way to work in the morning (shocked at the line of cars at the fairgrounds for Covid testing) and then swung by Brian's shop on my way home. Luckily I had the foresight to bring a copy of my 03 with me when I left the house in the morning. Then spent the evening rummaging through the sling and spares bins for the missing pieces to the puzzle. It's nice to be a pack rat with a 30 year pile of bits to dive into at times like this.
    This find made the miserable start to 2021 a little easier to bear. Spent my most of my holiday vacation alone suffering from a sinus infection. Thank God for antibiotics, making progress towards normal again.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Hit the auction house on my way to work in the morning (shocked at the line of cars at the fairgrounds for Covid testing) and then swung by Brian's shop on my way home. Luckily I had the foresight to bring a copy of my 03 with me when I left the house in the morning. Then spent the evening rummaging through the sling and spares bins for the missing pieces to the puzzle. It's nice to be a pack rat with a 30 year pile of bits to dive into at times like this.
    This find made the miserable start to 2021 a little easier to bear. Spent my most of my holiday vacation alone suffering from a sinus infection. Thank God for antibiotics, making progress towards normal again.

The cars were still lined up way too much for my liking when I hit the auction house around 2 PM. Not a good sign.

there was a bit of a line when I hit Brian's shop myself. I got there around 6 or so and was right behind the gentleman and his wife who won that William Evans .410. Gott im himmel was that thing gorgeous. It even had the receipt in the case from where the gentleman who brought it state-side had purchased it from a shop in England for £1. What I wouldn't give for that situation to be the case these days.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The cars were still lined up way too much for my liking when I hit the auction house around 2 PM. Not a good sign.

there was a bit of a line when I hit Brian's shop myself. I got there around 6 or so and was right behind the gentleman and his wife who won that William Evans .410. Gott im himmel was that thing gorgeous. It even had the receipt in the case from where the gentleman who brought it state-side had purchased it from a shop in England for £1. What I wouldn't give for that situation to be the case these days.

Must have just missed you as I was there around 6. See that you're still the lone bidder on the Remmy. Crossing my fingers that you get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom