• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I'm looking at purchasing a gun in the near future for my kid (they are to be born later this month) and mainly because Daddy has a good excuse to go buy another gun now. I would like to get something that is mild enough they can use when the start hunting, but also be good for when they get older. I would prefer a short action as I love my 223, but I use a 270 for deer. I've have great results with it, but from going from the 223 to 270 sometimes I don't always work the bolt quite far enough to reload. I've compared data on 243, 6.5, 7mm-08, 308 and even the 350 legend. We own a farm and for the most part I'd say that's where the hunting will be done unless they branch out. We have only small patches of woods with large fields. Shots will more than likely be anywhere from 25-300 yards. Any reason why 1 caliber would be better than the other?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not sure if your location is in a former shotgun only county, so going 350 may not be such a good choice. 300 yds with it is starting to get out of its league as far as deer hunting.
    270 is flat shooting and doesn’t kick to bad. Short stroking is a familiarity/training issue, but shouldn’t be a deciding factor. Don’t miss your first shot. :) .243 would be a great choice, especially for our smallish deer. I wouldn’t suggest it if heading to Canada for deer.
    Have fun deciding, and let us know what you pick.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Setting the parameters to include popularity , and widespread availability , the obvious answer to the point of cliche - .243.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My choice would be between 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 Remington. I like both for deer better than .243 Win. I like both for your young person recoil concerns better than .308.

Between these 2 remaining cartridges, you're looking to decide the invariable tradeoff. In this case, you're pretty much deciding whether you want 10% more thump than 6.5 by picking the heavier 7mm-08, or 15% less recoil than 7mm-08 by going with the CM. Either cartridge is an excellent choice, and either is plenty adequate for deer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Are you hunting a rifle county? If yes, ignore the .350 legend. If no, that's your best choice.

For a youth rifle, .243 or 6.5. it's really just a toss up.

For an unborn, a much better investment is stripped lowers. Hunting rifles will be available in 10 years when they start. Lowers may not be.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Are you hunting a rifle county? If yes, ignore the .350 legend. If no, that's your best choice.

For a youth rifle, .243 or 6.5. it's really just a toss up.

For an unborn, a much better investment is stripped lowers. Hunting rifles will be available in 10 years when they start. Lowers may not be.

Just to clarify lest someone be unaware, if OP is not hunting one of the Maryland rifle counties, .350 Legend is his ONLY choice of the 5 cartridges mentioned.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If the OP's location is correct, Carroll county allows rifles with any of those cartridges.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    :innocent0 My first rifle was a .243 ........

Nah but for real it was, great rifle for everything up to and *possibly* including a little MD black bear. Low recoil, readily available & cheap rounds (back when you could get ammo). Yeah a .223 is cheap and light but let's be honest it's too light to be versatile

Then you can upgrade to the .270 or 30-30 when you're ready to go farther afield. Personally, I'm debating a 25-06 or a 6.5 Creed right now, with a 300WM for the larger game.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Setting the parameters to include popularity , and widespread availability , the obvious answer to the point of cliche - .243.

Perhaps my favorite caliber! Used it in Arizona for deer, coyote and most other forms of varmit. Never drew an Elk tag so had no need for a heavier round.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    My [now] 12 year old took his first deer with a 6.5cm three years ago (and he was *exceedingly* small for his size at the time due to health issues; barely taller than his then 7 y.o. sister). The only down side is you can't put it in a ar-15 platform. I ended up building him out an AR pistol in .300 BO (350 didn't exist then) that he is starting to outgrow as his health improves (took his most recent deer Saturday using my 350 legend with a 16" bbl).

One other thing to consider for cartridge selection: how far out are you going to let them shoot? I get that YOU have shots out to 300 yards, but I doubt you'll let him take those shots until older. 350 Legend will stretch to 220 or so (with the load I use). I'll note that, while I live in QA County, most of my deer hunting is in Carroll County. I switched to 350 this year to give me more versatility to hunt my home county and used in Carroll County to great success. There are shots out to 500 yards where I hunt, but (perhaps luckily) I didn't have a chance at any. Between my son and I we took six (6) deer during rifle season with that 350. Longest shot was just under 200 yards. Every last deer shot died within 45 yards of where it was hit, and 3 of 6 literally in their tracks without taking another step.

If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have built him out a 350 rigged for ultralight rather than the 300BO. Additionally, with the 350, it gives access to hunting in former shotgun counties.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    We have variety of different 22's that "they" (we don't know the gender so have to refer to them as they) will start with. I was small for my age when I started with a 30-30. I never liked how much that gun kicked, but luckily never became afraid of the recoil. I just sucked it up as it was part of deer hunting. I will limit the range they shoot until they become proficient, just when the get older and have the marksmanship they will have the opportunity to be able to take 300 yd shots if conditions are right. I limit myself to 150-200 yards max unless absolutely idea conditions. My wife has a 243 but she really doesn't hunt much, but has used to around the farm to take care of some groundhogs. So part of my says the kid can use that gun or get one of that caliber, but at the same time I like trying different ones. We also don't live in a restricted area, but if I get the 350 legend that will increase the areas that could be hunted.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I bought my son his first rifle 9 years ago. I bough him a Rem 700 youth in .308. he was a 5 foot nothing and about 90 lbs. I took him shooting often and I bought the remington reduced
    recoil ammo. He had no issues handling the recoil and took his first deer in Pa with it. Fast forward 9 years now he's 6'3 250 lbs. He has swapped out the Youth stock for a full size stock and
    still loves it. It should last his a lifetime. My Daughter I bought he a Remington 700 in .243. You cant go wrong with either caliber. Good luck and enjoy the time and memories.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Age 7: Cricket 22
    Age 12: Henry lever 22
    Age 17: Marlin lever 30-30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I love the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I use it for target matches. I made a clean broadside shot on a Sika deer at 40 yards with a .257 Roberts and had it run on me and the bullet did not exit the other side. After that experience (I found the deer), I went back to my 7mm Magnum. Given your criteria, I would go with 7mm-08, or a 308 Winchester. The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, but it is not as readily available. 308 Winchester is easy to find, inherently accurate, and you can find reduced recoil ammo, or just use loads with lighter bullets to lighten the recoil.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My previous post stating the obvious , was with the parameters of popularity and widespread availability being paramount . For *me* , who likes out of the mainstream ctgs on purpose , the discussion is a lot larger .

Of up and coming ctgs , 6.5 either Creedmore or Grendel are nearly mainstream, likewise 6.8SPC , albeit giving up a little at full 300yds . 7-08 nearly there , albeit depending on how moderate of recoil is needed , might wish to handload down to level of 7x57 starting loads .

Of classic ctgs , this catagory was owned by .257 Roberts and .250 Savage before there was a .243 Winchester . ( In the modern era when a .250 Savage bolt rifle will inherently involve re- barelling and handloading , might as well make it Improved version .)

And of course , the 7x57 .

Few people will deliberately build one nowdays , but if you come across a quality period correct Sporter in the various European 6.5mm mil ctgs , and handload , they will all fill the bill also .

And 6mn Remington Should have been the dominant ctg in this catagory , if not for marketing missteps by Remington at the time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom