• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    True. By definition, criminals don't obey laws, so an illegal MG wouldn't be surprising.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Mr. Smartt wasn't too damn smart. Evidently he had the lack of foresight to look into FOPA and MD law before beginning his travels. Now, he will pay the price.

The "Possession of an Assault Weapon" thing get's me. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. This is local for me so, I will be asking around about it.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Three posts while I pecked away.

As described so far Mr Smartt wasn't in compliance w/ FOPA transport method guidelines.

True, the one in the glove box is what will hurt him. If anything I see the SA offering a plea deal on this. He could argue he got lost.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I am going to work under the assumption that MSP and their WV/PA counter parts are watching I 81 like hawks right now and are going to use anything they can to get a car pulled over to try to find this road rage guy.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am going to work under the assumption that MSP and their WV/PA counter parts are watching I 81 like hawks right now and are going to use anything they can to get a car pulled over to try to find this road rage guy.

The really sad part, the perp is probably long gone.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011

Yes, THEY ARE!!! Also, due to the public warnings from the task force working the incident that they "FULLY EXPECT" further incidents, most local folks traveling I-81 are scared. "...from Needmore, PA..." makes him a local.

Prob has a CCW, and didnt think about his travels through MD. He wouldnt have been in trouble if this happened in PA...he prob assumed the panhandle wasnt a long drive...

As a PA resident it is HIGHLY likely that he has a PA. CCW! Of course that doesn't cover him on this side the border but one would hope it'd be taken into consideration, especially given the present situation.:rolleyes: I would suspect that since the trooper was from truck enforcement AND had a cadet, has more to do with this poor bastard being arrested than anything else.

YES, he is (technically) in violation of MD. law. Under the circumstances it would have also been well within "officer discretion" to advise him of it, have him correct the situation (unload the gun and put both HG's in the trunk) and send him on his way with a cell phone ticket.

Perfect storm and Mr. Smart is piloting the fishing boat.:sad20:

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Yes, THEY ARE!!! Also, due to the public warnings from the task force working the incident that they "FULLY EXPECT" further incidents, most local folks traveling I-81 are scared. "...from Needmore, PA..." makes him a local.

As a PA resident it is HIGHLY likely that he has a PA. CCW! Of course that doesn't cover him on this side the border but one would hope it'd be taken into consideration, especially given the present situation.:rolleyes: I would suspect that since the trooper was from truck enforcement AND had a cadet, has more to do with this poor bastard being arrested than anything else.

YES, he is (technically) in violation of MD. law. Under the circumstances it would have also been well within "officer discretion" to advise him of it, have him correct the situation (unload the gun and put both HG's in the trunk) and send him on his way with a cell phone ticket.

Perfect storm and Mr. Smart is piloting the fishing boat.:sad20:

Road rage guy? There is a driver terrorizing I-81?

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    No, just a single instance.

They couldn't link the May Kentucky officer shooting or the York shooting to this perp (different vehicles).

The task force - from WV, MD. PA & FBI - are STILL standing by the warning it is not isolated. Just not connected to those two. The assumption is the victim was "selected" for murder.

Not a lot of solace in knowing he was the only one we know about... so far. :innocent0

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

All of this crapola could have been avoided by doing 2 things:

#1. Wear your seat belt...

#2. Do not talk on a hand held cel phone while driving..

Soooo who's fault was it MSP or Notso Smartt..?

Play stupid games win stupid prizes...

CyberBat

Feb 18, 2013
    Leonardtown
    Sgt Preston here...

All of this crapola could have been avoided by doing 2 things:

#1. Wear your seat belt...

#2. Do not talk on a hand held cel phone while driving..

Soooo who's fault was it MSP or Notso Smartt..?

Play stupid games win stupid prizes...

Totally agree that (Get) Smartt brought this on himself. Just would like to see how it plays out.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Fail to comply with FOPA at your own risk..

Maybe enough arrests and we will get more reasonable federal protection. If Md wants to create a new federally prohibited person it is done. It is not fair.. but it us done.

Tell your friend in PA VA and WV .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom