• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Seen some signs and not sure why or what to make of them.

Oak trees everywhere I hunt have 0 or very few acorns. Walnuts and hickory didn’t seem any different than normal.

The hackberry trees don’t have any berries this year. This is a late season staple for black birds, starlings and Robins.

The farm deer I kill normally have 3/8” to 1/2” at most fat on the top of the rump. The last 8 point I killed had 1 1/2” of fat on the rump. I pulled out so much visceral fat out of him gutting him. I could fat balls the size of potatoes. The liver was surrounded by fat also. When cleaning the cavity with a hose it looked like cottage cheese running out of him. I have never seen a deer with this much fat!

Or maybe he just parked in a corn field all late summer??

I went back to take a picture of the “Fat potato“ I included here with a ruler but a Fox, or something else, ate it already. It had to be over 5” long

Attachments

• 7B776EBE-A3B6-4B56-8F51-76E013E3372B.jpg
      7B776EBE-A3B6-4B56-8F51-76E013E3372B.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 830
    • 7DE63841-E477-41E2-9908-7DC796ACC489.jpg
      7DE63841-E477-41E2-9908-7DC796ACC489.jpg
      190.1 KB · Views: 810
    • DE2CD0E5-4086-4580-8028-B510CED7A0AA.jpg
      DE2CD0E5-4086-4580-8028-B510CED7A0AA.jpg
      165.7 KB · Views: 815

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    My elders used to say watch the crickets. Watch how many try to get into the house during the fall. Lots of crickets mean cold winter. Fewer crickets mean a mild winter.

With that said. I have had more crickets getting into the house this year than I can ever remember. So, I plan accordingly.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    My elders used to say watch the crickets. Watch how many try to get into the house during the fall. Lots of crickets mean cold winter. Fewer crickets mean a mild winter.

With that said. I have had more crickets getting into the house this year than I can ever remember. So, I plan accordingly.

Uh oh. It was all out war with them this year...dog loves to chase them as does the cat....wife and daughter freak out.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    More crickets, spiders, and stink bugs trying to get in this year than the previous few. Seems that some of the weather wonks feel it'll be snowier than usual as well: USA-9 for example is predicting much more snow than last year.

I don't think it'll be too crazy. Probably lots of smaller accumulations and one "big" storm this year, but nothing crazy.

Also, more snow means not as cold. Really cold temperatures drive the humidity out of the air making snow impossible. So predictions like this make me think we'll have a few really cold parts of winter, but overall, temps should be fairly seasonable for the region. Weather certainly took a dive around here last night with high winds moving all the cloud cover out and letting the temps drop overnight. Went from overnight lows in the 40s to overnight lows in the mid 30s in my area.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Lots of crickets in our basement this year. And tons of wooly caterpillars on the roads. I think it'll be colder than normal.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD

Huh, I've always known them to try and get inside in the fall but never really put two and two together. I definitely had more trying and some succeeding at getting in this year. In the mornings there would be a handful up against the foam seal.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

First time in years I have found crickets in my basement. More spiders than usual as well.

Good thing I still have my roof rake for snow... :innocent0

I have one to get rid of, if anyone needs one.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I too woke up to snow. I am on the side of Braddock Mtn. in Frederick and the back deck definitely had a smattering of snowflakes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Noticed that too with the doe I took. She was super fatty. Much thicker layer of fat on her abdomen as well as a lot of fat in her body cavity. Most of the deer I’ve been seeing lately look much huskier than last year and way more than a few weeks ago.

A lot more acorns dropped this year around me. Also a pretty warm winter last year. So probably much easier for them to feed.

W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    Wish I would have gotten a pic, but yesterday leaving APG (MD Blvd near ARL) around 3:30, was the biggest, huskiest freaking coyote I've seen yet. Not sure what he/she has been eating but definitely WELL fed. Stood 40 ft off the main road, watching traffic, as if daring someone to approach! Height of a short German Shepard but either very stocky or a hell of a coat! I've seen lots of tall, lanky 'yotes on APG but this one took the cake! ...maybe been eating cake, too!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wish I would have gotten a pic, but yesterday leaving APG (MD Blvd near ARL) around 3:30, was the biggest, huskiest freaking coyote I've seen yet. Not sure what he/she has been eating but definitely WELL fed. Stood 40 ft off the main road, watching traffic, as if daring someone to approach! Height of a short German Shepard but either very stocky or a hell of a coat! I've seen lots of tall, lanky 'yotes on APG but this one took the cake! ...maybe been eating cake, too!

Coywolf?

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I guess anything is possible but I kind of doubt it. I'm def not a wildlife biologist (or any other type) but I think most of the 'yotes on APG are just that.

They are here. Farmer next to my old lease near park heights/garrison shot one a few years ago that was German Sheppard size. Had them on cameras back in 2015 and there was an attack early this summer by a rabid one in Owings Mills.

Last edited:

Sirex