• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Missed buying the older Savage which was for sale (briefly) in the classifieds Saturday night but it got me thinking.

For those of you/us who looking for older non-milsurp bolt guns what is it you look for?

Make and model? The rifle being paired with a vintage optic? Honest patina or lack thereof?

I find myself yearning for a vintage hunting rifle but I never seen to find the right thing. An old Husqvarna would be cool. One of the Higgins 51L rifles with the Husqvarna action could be cool. The Steyr Manlicherr (spelling?) guns with the set triggers are awesome as well. To me it's more about the patina'd look than the specific gun. Needs to have a period correct optic (or be setup to accept a period correct optic which I could add later).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a husqvarna 1640 that i bought c&r from simpson ltd. I have a modern scope on it right now but its a cool old gun. Very well made. The bluing is super nice and it has a nice walnut stock. It bought i t because it was in excellent shape and cheap. I believe this one is a 1964

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like the old military ones which were sporterized back in the day. Sort of wrong I know but the damage has been done. Have a nice Arisaka and 1917 which were likely done up in the 50's or 60's.

I also like the old classic lever guns from the 50's or so as well as the Savage lever guns. Always wanted a Savage, ideally a takedown, but never got into one.

Given the lack of rifle hunting for me till I can escape md (not that I'm counting the days or anything) I'm getting rid of long guns when possible.

There is an online dealer now "Vintage Scopes" which can often come up with the glass right for your classic rifle. They will also refurb things if needed. Sitting on a pile of old scopes I need to test to see which ones need to go to them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I put a few milsurps together for hunting. I sometimes use a m17 and another Mauser with optics but I never learned to make them light so they go to the range more than anything.
    The one in the picture gets used the most because I like the caliber.
    The Jap rifle is a really good shooter but I framed it with a m1903 ladder so its more or less for target work/plinking,hard to see through, it doesn't work well with a Mauser banded front sight when its folded.
    I thought about putting a scope on it but never did.
    The Krag with optics is a NOS Weaver fixed 4x I bought off ebay. I was going to take it out tomorrow but its supposed to rain a lot and be windy so Ill take a SG and just walk around.
    Its a cut down 1914 A5 for buck shot and slug shooting. Not quite a rifle but its still vintage equipment.
    One of these days I want to put together a Martini with either a smle or p14 barrel in 303.
    I seen a picture of a martini with a p14 front end with handguards and have been thinking about doing it since.

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Does an old bubba'd milsurp count?

I'd buy an 8mm sporterized mauser...

My father has been hunting with a sporterized 8mm German Mauser for as long as I can remember. Sometimes he will take something else out but most of the time it’s the Mauser. Open sights. That rifle has killed a lot of deer.

Me personally I take my grandfather’s old Remington 760 Gamemaster out once in a while. It’s neat and old. When I got it there was open sights only. I got a pair of vintage Weaver wheelie rings and paired them with a vintage Bushnell Sportview. Makes for a great combination. I took a very big doe with it last year. I’ll throw up a photo if I get a chance tomorrow.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have a husqvarna 1640 that i bought c&r from simpson ltd. I have a modern scope on it right now but its a cool old gun. Very well made. The bluing is super nice and it has a nice walnut stock. It bought i t because it was in excellent shape and cheap. I believe this one is a 1964

Simpson is who I've been watching a lot

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Does an old bubba'd milsurp count?

I'd buy an 8mm sporterized mauser...

Me too... bubbaed (not be me) 1917 Springfield. The old girl dropped another deer on opening day. One step and dead. Have lots of vintage and modern hunting rifles to choose from, but the 1917 is usually the one I take with me. It has yet to let me down.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The best of the vintage bolt rifles in my opinion is the Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. Classic steel and wood and every one I've had shoots. In the common calibers a nice example can be had for under a grand.
    They can also be restored and customized. I found this heavily used .220 Swift with a shot out barrel that I had rebarreled with a Shilen Varmint profile .220 Swift and the rifle refinished.
    I'm currently looking at a .243 Winchester Varmint that I may pick up as a retirement gift to myself.

Attachments

• IMG_5699.jpg
      IMG_5699.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 409
    • IMG_7437.jpg
      IMG_7437.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 399

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I think much of the world would agree with you Augie. The Model 70 has a such a following.

This is the one sort of category of rifle which can be found at any and all gun shows. I suppose I should be looking more seriously. My wants list is fluid though

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think much of the world would agree with you Augie. The Model 70 has a such a following.

This is the one sort of category of rifle which can be found at any and all gun shows. I suppose I should be looking more seriously. My wants list is fluid though

Op I misread your post you want manufactured classic/vintage hunting rifles.:sad20:
    Outside of a model 70 like pictured above their are a ton of them to consider
    30s, m54 70,BSA, R721 the Weatherby's, M&S's,M99's.
    Merkal, Heym, Blaser, Sako, Steyer.....
    Tons of different models in both traditional Mauser style or straight pull multi- locking lug arrangements.
    Not to mention the US auto or lever rifles like a 1895.

Have fun deciding what you like!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    A 30-30 Winchester 94 is a great classic deer hunting rifle to go out with. Sure one can miss out on some long shots but its a fun, handy rifle.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Op I misread your post you want manufactured classic/vintage hunting rifles.:sad20:
    Outside of a model 70 like pictured above their are a ton of them to consider
    30s, m54 70,BSA, R721 the Weatherby's, M&S's,M99's.
    Merkal, Heym, Blaser, Sako, Steyer.....
    Tons of different models in both traditional Mauser style or straight pull multi- locking lug arrangements.
    Not to mention the US auto or lever rifles like a 1895.

Have fun deciding what you like!

No no I'm just hunting for opinions and experience. I don't discriminate

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I cycle through a beautiful Chilean Mauser in 7mm Mauser, Yugo M48 8mm, 4 digit serial number Savage 110 in 270, JC Higgins model 50 in 30-06,(I like these so much I have 2), Remington model 760 in 308... I still have a long list of ones I’d like to add to my collection including a Mannlicher in 6.5, Remington model 88, Remington model 71, Savage model 99 in 250 Savage, and a Winchester model 64 deluxe among others.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have several of the old Colt bolt rifles but they aren't as well known and the numbers aren't high...though they are fully the equals of any contemporary rifle. Still...the Model 70 have name recognition and a history that backs its reputation up.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I know that my Dad was always a fan of the Winchester Model 70, and when talking about the Model 70, it's safe to assume pre-64.

"One day" (always the elusive "one day" when I get a "round tuit") I'd love to hunt down an older rifle that needs some TLC and do a project on it - I read an article once about someone doing up a budget level tactical rifle built, and they did it on a Savage or Stevens rifle action they'd sourced cheap. That sort of thing appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom