• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Anyone have any experience with a light weight, Wood stock, blued steel modern rifle? Something in .223. Production not custom.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    You’d be hard pressed to find a better gun for the money than a Tikka. Their Hunter models are usually walnut/Blued. Sako if your feeling spendy.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The only blued/wood pencil barreled bolt gun I own is a Remington 700 CDL that I picked up 15 years ago. It's pretty light, has good accuracy, etc. But it's not available in your caliber. Beautiful gun, though.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    As far as new and available I second the CZ. If used there's plenty of choices depending on budget. I'm partial to the Remington 788...for a rifle built to a budget they have a reputation for accuracy above their price class.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Second vote for the CZ 527 although I'd get the American vs the carbine. Not much difference in weight. 527's are dead nuts accurate and have a single set trigger.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Another fan of the CZ 527 bolt. Weight on that rifle is listed on the CZ site as 6.41 lbs. That rifle has a real nice balance, so perhaps that weight is accurate. But it definitely feels a bit lighter than that to me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nothing against the Savage M10 ( formerly M110) , it's a fine rifle for what it is . But that's getting into the issue of Conventional Short Action vs Mini Action .

The direct analog from Savage would be the M25 .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you don’t mind investing some more when all is said and done, a Howa 1500 with a wood stock will get you there. Can get bottom metal for another $100 or so. All told like $600-800 for a barreled receiver, nice wood stock and bottom metal.

I just got one in 6.5 Grendel, 20” heavy barrel. Very happy with it. Though haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it for accuracy (scope mounts hadn’t arrived yet, but I put a few rounds through it using shotgun sighting. Can’t get back to the range for a couple more weeks and didn’t want to wait to shoot it).

I’d get one in .223, but I’d really like something with a longer barrel for .223. Ideally 22-24”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom