Should I sand and refinish my 1945 lee enfield #4 mk1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What is a micrometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micrometers measure thickness whereas calipers are better at measuring lengths, depending on the need.

Micrometer...

Attachments

• mike2.jpg
      mike2.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 131

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Is .074 the max safe limit or is that too larger to be safe?

War time expediency and efficient use of stores-bolt heads and bolt bodies allowed .078 HS

.074 is what you want to shoot for. A bolt /head combination that is just shy of
    .050 from the bottom underside of the bolt handle to action body is better than one which makes resistance earlier in bolt body rotation.
    The idea is to have a bolt/head combo that doesn't allow the bolt head to overturn on the bolt body by more than 20 deg. from the bolt head lug to the bolt body column. 3/16" is 20 deg.
    It could be the bolt body supplied with your rifle has been swapped and had previously just been fitted to another rifle with internal lug surfaces that had a touch less wear than the rifle it currently resides in.
    Clean the lugs on your bolt, mark them up at the rear with a sharpie, insert a spent cartridge and lift close the bolt to see what sort of wear pattern shows up.
    Then we can see what may be going on with the parts to get it on track if you want.
    When you get the chance, install the bolt head and check for sever overturn or the bolt head all wiggly when its seated up against the bolt sleeve.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    War time expediency and efficient use of stores-bolt heads and bolt bodies allowed .078 HS

.074 is what you want to shoot for. A bolt /head combination that is just shy of
    .050 from the bottom underside of the bolt handle to action body is better than one which makes resistance earlier in bolt body rotation.
    The idea is to have a bolt/head combo that doesn't allow the bolt head to overturn on the bolt body by more than 20 deg. from the bolt head lug to the bolt body column. 3/16" is 20 deg.
    It could be the bolt body supplied with your rifle has been swapped and had previously just been fitted to another rifle with internal lug surfaces that had a touch less wear than the rifle it currently resides in.
    Clean the lugs on your bolt, mark them up at the rear with a sharpie, insert a spent cartridge and lift close the bolt to see what sort of wear pattern shows up.
    Then we can see what may be going on with the parts to get it on track if you want.
    When you get the chance, install the bolt head and check for sever overturn or the bolt head all wiggly when its seated up against the bolt sleeve.

I will have to do the sharpie when I get home from work but I did notice the the bolt head does between 1/4-1/6 of a turn past flush with the guide groove. I will take photos of everything when I get home. But I really want this to be a nice shooter.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    You ever go back and try to get your rifle running?
    I have a few N04's Im working on right now and have parts flying about.
    I attached a bolt head chart for what you may run into.

I haven’t gotten back to working on it yet really. I’m currently trying to build a work bench to reload on and do my gunsmithing instead of my computer desk. But after that it is a priority.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    10-4 That was quick, I can help you with your rifle if you want.
    I just bought a real nice NOS bolt from BRP for a good price, need a barrel to build a sporter maybe.
    It was a Fazarckerly rebuild with a solid bolt knob and plenty of lug to work with.
    They have 0-1 bolt heads for a good price too.
    I wouldn't expect them to be gone anytime soon.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    10-4 That was quick, I can help you with your rifle if you want.
    I just bought a real nice NOS bolt from BRP for a good price, need a barrel to build a sporter maybe.
    It was a Fazarckerly rebuild with a solid bolt knob and plenty of lug to work with.
    They have 0-1 bolt heads for a good price too.
    I wouldn't expect them to be gone anytime soon.

Ya I would love the help actually.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ya I would love the help actually.

Just say so, youll be able to get a few in the black when done.

I bought a 40 some dollar singer sight from Century a week or so ago.
    Advert said Pakistani Ordnace factory good shape, when it showed up it was all cosmoed Savage marked and in Springfield sporters packaging.
    They just must have grabbed it from a pile that never made it to England.
    What luck, not a lot of interest out there anymore I guess.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Just say so, youll be able to get a few in the black when done.

I bought a 40 some dollar singer sight from Century a week or so ago.
    Advert said Pakistani Ordnace factory good shape, when it showed up it was all cosmoed Savage marked and in Springfield sporters packaging.
    They just must have grabbed it from a pile that never made it to England.
    What luck, not a lot of interest out there anymore I guess.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom