• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James6022

Feb 26, 2020
    Baltimore Co
    Locking to restore. Need triggers and some information. Can't find serial numbers. Or model American Gun co. New York

Attachments

• 16086377476905705717063096647949.jpg
      16086377476905705717063096647949.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 314
    Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I don't know if I can help you much, but I thought I would comment as I find this personally interesting. First, serial numbers were not required until after 1968 and the older gun makers didn't always (or ever) use them. Second, I don't know where or if you can find parts for it.

Thirdly, this is interesting to me because my grandfather had one of these. I was told he bought it at a farm auction for $2.00, perhaps sometime between 1910 and 1940 (dad always said a long time ago). Only gun that I knew granddad to have and he only used it to keep critters out of his hen house. Dad replaced the butt stock sometime in the '80s or '90s the stock that was always on it was stained (turned out after it broke) pine. Didn't realize it was pine till it did break and was not shaped like the original would have been. Yours looks to be original. Barrels on granddad's were nitro steel, can't tell from the pic if yours are steel or damascus.

Sorry I am not of more help.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    “American Gun Company” is one of the brands made by Crescent of New Haven, CT

Parts are going to be extremely rare. Numrich has right side triggers that may fit, but not left side triggers.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/crescent

The triggers on these are a very simple design. They are easy to make, but hard to make well (if that makes sense). Making something that works is easy. Making something that works and looks correct is hard. Paying a gunsmith who understands old doubles to make the triggers would probably cost more than the gun is worth.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****A decent machinist could make you a trigger for that gun. A competent gunsmith could do the final fitting and function check. I've seen some old pistols and shotguns with hand fitted parts that had to be replaced. As others have said, simple enough to make it, and make the firearm operable, maybe not so easy to make it look correct or original. It's not cheap to have this type of work done, but for an heirloom piece or something very unique with sentimental value it could be worth it.

There's a guy who comes to our local range who shoots a very old blunderbuss with really cool inlays and other artistic period work. He had the firing mechanism and other moving parts gone through, cleaned up of oxidation and fixed up so it could operate well. Pretty cool to see that old gun fire. Definitely not as accurate as my match rifle, or even my little spring loaded suction cup shooter gun I had as a kid, but it's cool to watch the smoke come out and hope the ball hits something sort of in the vicinity you are aiming at....:lol2:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I don't know if I can help you much, but I thought I would comment as I find this personally interesting. First, serial numbers were not required until after 1968 and the older gun makers didn't always (or ever) use them. Second, I don't know where or if you can find parts for it.

Thirdly, this is interesting to me because my grandfather had one of these. I was told he bought it at a farm auction for $2.00, perhaps sometime between 1910 and 1940 (dad always said a long time ago). Only gun that I knew granddad to have and he only used it to keep critters out of his hen house. Dad replaced the butt stock sometime in the '80s or '90s the stock that was always on it was stained (turned out after it broke) pine. Didn't realize it was pine till it did break and was not shaped like the original would have been. Yours looks to be original. Barrels on granddad's were nitro steel, can't tell from the pic if yours are steel or damascus.

Sorry I am not of more help.

OK...update, I didn't think that these had a # but pulling out the old gun from the back o f the safe and looking it over it does. You have to remove the barrels but it is under them on the top of the receiver. If your right barrel hammer is cocked, you can't open the action because the hammer interferes with the opening lever so you will have to decock or remove the hammer to open the action. Hope that will help some and good luck with your project.

James6022

Feb 26, 2020
    Baltimore Co
    One is Damascus other barrel is steel. We came across 3 of these two still working. The other two have serial numbers we dated them to 1908 this one is older

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom