• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JavaJeff

Jan 10, 2021
    Hello,

First time poster here from GT. Reluctant n00b gun owner - we had an attempted break-in recently, and despite our general hesitation around firearms, decided to up our home security game with a monitored video system, pepper sprays around the house, and a shotgun. Also have taken basic safety course with the wife, and got my HQL...but still mulling the sidearm question over and have not yet committed to a purchase. That said, we have gone to the Heritage range a few times and had some real fun.

Later, Jeff

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Welcome to the Germantown, JJ. G-Town is my town, too, since the mid-90's. Be safe out there.

Have you thought about joining the Izaak Walton League Rockville chapter, which has it's facilities in Germantown on Waring Station at Clopper? Great pistol range. Rifle, not so much.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Welcome from north of you in the Ag Reserve. Sorry to hear about your experience, here's hoping it doesn't happen again, but there's a good reason most MCPD who lived in G-Town moved out my way about 10 years ago. Things have been going downhill there for a while now.

Did you go with a Home Defense shotgun (18-20" barrel length) or something more multi-purpose? If you went with something with a longer barrel (24"+) you can take the short drive out to Tuscarora Gun Club in Point of Rocks and shoot trap with it to get some practice in. $5/round of 25 clays, bring your own ammo (target load only). They're open to the public Saturday morning and Wednesday evenings (shooting under the lights).

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Welcome! We also need a history lesson. Do German have anything to do with Germantown?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Welcome! We also need a history lesson. Do German have anything to do with Germantown?

In the 1830s and 1840s, the central business area grew at the intersection of Liberty Mill Road and Clopper Road. Recall that Liberty Mill used to be Rt. 118 before 118 was relocated and widened. The stretch of 118 that lost that route number was named Liberty Mill Road in recognition of the Liberty Mill that stood adjacent to the Germantown MARC station.

Some German immigrants set up shop at the intersection and the town became known as "German Town."

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Sure thing.

Have a look at the Germantown Historical Society's website. http://germantownmdhistory.org/

I was active in Germantown issues from my arrival here in the 90's, testifying before the County Council and M-NCPPC (planning board) about various issues. Susan Soderberg, president of the society, has researched and written a great deal about local history. I even have her booklet that is a history of the CSX metropolitan subdivision, the rail line through the county. I have to dig it up.

EsBee

Sep 4, 2020
    Welcome!

Hello,

First time poster here from GT. Reluctant n00b gun owner - we had an attempted break-in recently, and despite our general hesitation around firearms, decided to up our home security game with a monitored video system, pepper sprays around the house, and a shotgun. Also have taken basic safety course with the wife, and got my HQL...but still mulling the sidearm question over and have not yet committed to a purchase. That said, we have gone to the Heritage range a few times and had some real fun.

Later, Jeff

Welcome from another newbie on the east of I-270 in Germantown. Similar thing happened to me years ago, three males tried to enter into my walkout basement late at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom