• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

Dormitories, and class rooms aren't the place for guns either, but it hasn't stopped several school shootings. What if the time comes where some parent, asstranged husband/wife, or kid-touching waccko starts opening fire? Wouldn't you want Ms. Hain there to return fire?

The way I see it, how many rights are we willing to give up to spare irrational and uneducated feelings?

I am an American, and the country was founded to protect freedoms we are all born with. To say what we want to say, to do what we want to do, live where we want to live, and bear firearms for any purpose we see fit. Those freedoms are not to be excercised at the expense of another's rights, for instance, we do not have the "freedom" to shoot innocent people, or to infringe on someone's right to bear arms because of fear of what "might" happen. There is a big difference between the freedoms of a liberated society, and those that are largely made up, or require others to give up rights in order for a person to excercise theirs, like the "freedom" to have a free education, or the "freedom" to not be offended. Any American should know the difference, and count those who preserve freedom as allies, and those who seek to destroy our independent rights as enemies.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Every time I think of these tragic instances where some nutjob opens fire on a crowd, I think of Suzanna Hupp whose parents got killed. She had actually brought a handgun to the Luby's Cafeteria that day, but had left it in her vehicle due to the laws in force at the time, forbidding citizens from carrying firearms. If she had her gun on her, that horrible event might have turned out much differently, and at least they would have had a fighting chance rather than to be systematically stalked and killed as they were that day.

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA
    I watched the video and I agree with everything this lady has done, said and stands for. I used to visit open carry.org quite a bit and I wasn’t comfortable with quite a bit of what appeared to be an open carry agenda by some of the posters there. But after keeping up with Meleanie Hain and the way her rights have been violated, I myself have a better understanding of and a new passion for those that aren't afraid to exercise their rights that our ancestors fought for.

She's not open carrying to make a statement to or exercise a right for, but even if she was, in this day and age, with the way I view our current government, if you have a right to do it you'd better start doing it or you won't have it.

What has happened to her has educated me, so her fight isn't fought in vein.
    The same goes for Mountain Jack that was recently arrested for open carrying while holding a bible and passing out gun right pamphlets.

pro2A

Maryland Refugee
    Jul 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    If it is a concealed-permit. The weapon must be concealed ! In Maryland it is set that way . Maybe it's different in PA.

It is a License to Carry Firearms. At least that is what mine says. A concealed permit (like in Maine or Kentucky) does not mean you must conceal, it just means you are permitted to carry concealed. You can still open carry without a CCL. There are no stipulations on open carry, as you don't need a permit to open carry in PA.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I live in MD and will be visiting a Friend in VA this weekend. He reminded me to bring my pistol and holster because I can OC in VA even if I am a MD resident. I would rather CC but I can't without a license to avoid the wacko looks and a possible unwanted encounter with LEOs. I here what everyone here is saying and agree with most of you. I just would hate to have to call my wife to bail me out and put my family through all of the BS due to the fact that now a days it seems that we are treated like criminals until we can prove otherwise. I have never OC before or C period and the issue has been on my mind since my Friend brought it up. I'm glad that one can come here and read into the issue, opinions and facts concerning this very complicated or uncomplicated issue. I still have a few days to make up my mind. As of right now I plan on at least trying it to see how I feel (probably paranoid and self conscious) and then deciding on the matter. Please don't ostracize me for not being "gun ho" about this, I feel it to be a very serious matter and would appreciate advise from those that have and understand the way I feel.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is a License to Carry Firearms. At least that is what mine says. A concealed permit (like in Maine or Kentucky) does not mean you must conceal, it just means you are permitted to carry concealed. You can still open carry without a CCL. There are no stipulations on open carry, as you don't need a permit to open carry in PA.
    You do in Philly though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I live in MD and will be visiting a Friend in VA this weekend. He reminded me to bring my pistol and holster because I can OC in VA even if I am a MD resident. I would rather CC but I can't without a license to avoid the wacko looks and a possible unwanted encounter with LEOs. I here what everyone here is saying and agree with most of you. I just would hate to have to call my wife to bail me out and put my family through all of the BS due to the fact that now a days it seems that we are treated like criminals until we can prove otherwise. I have never OC before or C period and the issue has been on my mind since my Friend brought it up. I'm glad that one can come here and read into the issue, opinions and facts concerning this very complicated or uncomplicated issue. I still have a few days to make up my mind. As of right now I plan on at least trying it to see how I feel (probably paranoid and self conscious) and then deciding on the matter. Please don't ostracize me for not being "gun ho" about this, I feel it to be a very serious matter and would appreciate advise from those that have and understand the way I feel.

Make sure you brush up on all applicable laws before you carry, VA has some odd ones, you cannot CC, but can OC in a restraunt that serves alcohol, you can CC, but not OC in a state park, and if you are open carrying, and a buisness owner tells you to leave, you must leave immediately, or can be charged with trespassing.

VA firearms laws

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

If you spend any time in VA, DE, or PA, you may want to consider getting a VA or FL concealed hangun permit, there are a lot of challenges with open carry, mostly while transporting the gun, and in cases where a coat may conceal the gun, a permit allows you to chose how you carry, and in most cases, concealing offers several advantages.

You also need to consider what gun and holster to use, you definitely want a solid quality holster with some sort of retension mechanism, either some form of retension lock, or a snap strap, this helps to keep your gun in place if you have to run, or move around, and will make it hard for someone to grab your gun from you if you find yourself in a situation, Kydex or Leather work well, soft nylon is worthless, the holster must completely cover and protect the trigger. Practice drawing, and retension techniques, and "situational awareness", always be aware of your surroundings, and anyone that looks to be flipping out, or that might approach you aggressively (mostly anti gun ninnies), for the most part, you will be surprised that 99% of anyone that you pass does not pay any attention to it, but to you on the other hand, it will feel like a giant blaze orange brick on your hip until you get used to it, and that takes time, do not fidget with it, or touch it, trust your rig to do it's job, and keep it in place comfortably.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Make sure you brush up on all applicable laws before you carry, VA has some odd ones, you cannot CC, but can OC in a restraunt that serves alcohol, you can CC, but not OC in a state park, and if you are open carrying, and a buisness owner tells you to leave, you must leave immediately, or can be charged with trespassing.

VA firearms laws

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

If you spend any time in VA, DE, or PA, you may want to consider getting a VA or FL concealed hangun permit, there are a lot of challenges with open carry, mostly while transporting the gun, and in cases where a coat may conceal the gun, a permit allows you to chose how you carry, and in most cases, concealing offers several advantages.

You also need to consider what gun and holster to use, you definitely want a solid quality holster with some sort of retension mechanism, either some form of retension lock, or a snap strap, this helps to keep your gun in place if you have to run, or move around, and will make it hard for someone to grab your gun from you if you find yourself in a situation, Kydex or Leather work well, soft nylon is worthless, the holster must completely cover and protect the trigger. Practice drawing, and retension techniques, and "situational awareness", always be aware of your surroundings, and anyone that looks to be flipping out, or that might approach you aggressively (mostly anti gun ninnies), for the most part, you will be surprised that 99% of anyone that you pass does not pay any attention to it, but to you on the other hand, it will feel like a giant blaze orange brick on your hip until you get used to it, and that takes time, do not fidget with it, or touch it, trust your rig to do it's job, and keep it in place comfortably.

Thank you very much for your input. I will definately look into a VA CC permit.

As far as a holster goes I use a Safariland SLS on a drop leg rig for training that can be adapted to wear on the hip with additional mounting platform but its meant for the 4.5" barrel M&P 9mm or 40 cal. I also own a Walther PPS 9mm "slim line" that would be better suited for CC, I just need to get a secure holster for it. I currently have a leather inside the belt one for it but it does not feel very secure especialy If one has to move fast.

Thanks for the links and advice:thumbsup:

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    First Time Open Carry

Today I spent the whole day in Winchester VA. with my M&P strapped to my hip! This would be my first time exercising my right as a law abiding citizen to open carry. I have been nervous, apprehensive, thoughtful and investigative about the issue since I got the invite. It took me awhile to get rid of the paranoia and discomfort I felt. To help myself cope (psychologically speaking) I did not have a round chambered and installed the thumb brake on my uncle Mike's holster for extra retention. I know this defeats the purpose in a defensive situation but it helped me cope.
    We visited various gun shops to purchase "accessories" and ammo that are not readily found in my county. At one of the stores 2 VA state troopers walked in obviously saw that I was carrying. They said good morning and tended to their shopping. Though I kept my cool I was crapping myself inside (figuratively speaking). That was the last type of encounter I wanted but it ended up being the first. I was glad to get that out of the way early.
    After we where done with all of our shopping we headed out to lunch at the local Ruby Tuesdays. I will never critique my wife again for shopping and lunch outings with here girlfriends:D. I found that most either did not care or notice what might have appeared to be an oversizes PDA on my hip. We got a few 2nd glances that I noticed. One gentleman asked if it was loaded, to which I responded "Yes and it could also be used as a hammer if needed when not loaded" his wife said "Ha a multi tool" She got the picture. The manager asked if we got the bad guys yet. I said "Right after lunch".
    All in all I found folks to be curious and friendly when engaged with a good attitude.
    Will I open carry again? Probably. It seemed to me that it is a good opportunity to educate willing people if one maintains a good attitude and is tolerant of some of the sarcasm tossed.
    I again thank those in this forum for the help and advise.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom