Traveling to PA - Requirements to bring handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nitro

Feb 9, 2015
    I plan to visit family in PA next weekend and would like to bring my handgun (HK P30) to show my brother in law. I haven't traveled anywhere with it other than to the range in MD and don't know if there are any specific requirements necessary when traveling to another state. Can anyone tell me the requirements? Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *In General* there are no special requirements for interstate travel.

( Very simplified ) The Firearms Owners Protection Act aka FOPA allows for interstate transport when the firearm in question is legal on both ends of your journey ( when transported as specified , yada yada ).

BUT in your specifc instance Md and Pa are adjoining states , and FOPA does not come into play. The relevent laws of Md and Pa are what you need to look at.

Md has certain specific destinations to which you may transport a handgun. Pa does also ( and even narrower than Md's ). For an individual w/o a carry lic ( more later) , "showing" to brother in law is not an aproved destination. Unless your BIL also happens to be a gunsmith. However , if instead of just "showing" to BIL , you were to go shooting or hunting with BIL , then you would be ok.

Meanwhile back at that Lic. Pa has two entirely different statutes about having handguns on or about you , one while afoot , and one in a vehicle. If you have ANY carry permit from anywhere in US , you may carry in your vehicle. This include the popular non-resident permits from UT , Fl , Va , etc .

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    As a Designated Collector you may show your firearms to anyone and are allowed to do so by taking them to where you want to show them.

This is something any law abiding citizen can do, but you must apply and be granted the Designated Collector status. It probably can't happen in time for you trip, but there is always next time.

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...Registration/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

All said, I am not a lawyer, (IANAL) and laws change. You are responsible for your actions.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That bit about a Bona Fide Collector displaying all or part of his collection in a public or private exhibition is only for Maryland, not Pennsylvania. Same with the dog obedience class. Those will get you to the Mason-Dixon Line, but then you need a Pennsylvania exemption.

Any chance you can go shooting up there somewhere?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just take it and show it to him.
    I don't know what people think is going to happen to them. If it is cased and out of sight what kind of problem could you have?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    That bit about a Bona Fide Collector displaying all or part of his collection in a public or private exhibition is only for Maryland, not Pennsylvania. Same with the dog obedience class. Those will get you to the Mason-Dixon Line, but then you need a Pennsylvania exemption.

Any chance you can go shooting up there somewhere?

You dis'in me man...you call'in me out, dude? :lol2:

Thanks for pointing out how the Collector Status does not apply in PA.

Good thing I said, IANAL...that was close

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But PA isn't the problem as far as DC status. If you are stopped in MD, it still could apply IMO.as the statute doesn't specify the showing has to be in MD. But as always IANAL.

4-203
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    I also think FOPA could apply since the AG says MD law applies if your origin and destination are both in MD. I interpret that to mean FOPA could apply. Don't consent to a search, travel under FOPA regs, you will probably be ok. I do agree that PA law applies in PA, as that is your destination

PA Statute (gun safety instruction
    8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    My .02.

IANAL

RIP Mooseman

Attachments

• MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 97
    • 365.jpg
      365.jpg
      4.9 KB · Views: 262

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I travel to our 2nd home in Western PA all the time, usually with 2 or 3 rifles and the same for handguns. Always unloaded, cased and in the back of the truck. While up there for the weekend I'll drive back down to MD to go shooting (Savage range) then back up to PA. I got stopped for speeding one time but the MSP officer never asked if there were any guns in the truck. :shrug:

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Honestly, unless you have a carry permit/license (from any state) your safest option is probably to just leave it at home. Yeah, you can bring it, and the odds are you won't get caught, but is it worth the risk? FOPA wouldn't apply as PA is your destination, so to have it in your vehicle you'd either need a license, or an exemption from licensing. The exemptions (which I don't think you'll find one that applies) only cover transportation directly between locations, so you better not need to stop for a potty break, meal, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom